“Decent downtown hotel, convenient to Federal Building”

Crossroads Hotel and Huron Event Center
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Huron
Shepherdstown, West Virginia
“Decent downtown hotel, convenient to Federal Building”
Reviewed September 17, 2009

I stayed here for a week in August while conducting business next door at the Federal Building. The hotel was well kept, and I found the staff to be helpful and courteous. As the meeting planner, I was upgraded to a room with a king bed and refrigerator. I don't think that the regurlar rooms have a refrigerator, so this was definitely a plus. The wireless internet worked great in the room, plus there is one computer in the lobby with internet access.

Verto's, the restaurant and bar in the hotel, is not listed, so I will say a few words about it here. Since it is the closest restaurant to the Federal Building, we ate here several times. The lunches were decent, standard fare. They did have a soup and salad bar on at least one occasion, which was a pretty good value. The sweet potato fries were very yummy. We also at dinner here one evening. Since I don't get to the midwest very often, I had the walleye. It was EXCELLENT. It was pan fried, and served with a tasty (though oily) vegetable medley. Earlier in the week I had the walleye at the Tailgate Restaurant next door. It was good (deep fried), but Verto's was much better. The bar has a fair array of beers, including some good craft brews.

Be sure to walk around town and check out the murals - maps are provided in the hotel lobby.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank Zaphod

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Big Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed August 10, 2009

This property may be the only one in Huron, I don't know for sure. Let me begin that if by some unfortunate reason you are required to stay here be prepared. Huron itself is no prize, rural America in its glory. The property is old designed during a time when air conditioning was an amenity. The rooms are well sized there was no closet, only a rack hung from the wall. The carpet, linens, towels, furniture and mattress and pillows were very well worn. My room was stuffy, damp and felt dirty. There were two light bulbs out in my room, just as well, I didn't want to investigate too closely. View was of the roof of the adjacent event center. The bathroom was also dated but the water was hot. Shower head was plastic and restricted waterflow but got the job done. No internet, and you will have limited cellphone reception. Get the picture?
My experience in the restauran/bar was even worse. There are only a handful of restaurants in Huron so we decided since it was approaching 7pm we would eat at the restaurant on site called Verto's. Wen my collegue and I enter the bar area it was not busy but there were many glasses on the bar and dirty tables. We decided to approach the bar and two apparently empty bar stools with numerous empty glasses. We asked the bartender if those seats were taken, he said no, and slid the glasses down to the next available empty seat. ?? The next hour or so wasan adventure. The bartender had been working only a couple of weeks, as a matter of fact so was the kitchen help and waitstaff. While we coached the bartender on how to make drinks we learned the entire wait staff and kitchen staff has walked out of the restaurant a couple of weeks ago but he didn't know the whole story. Work is tough to find in Huron so he jumped at the opportunity for a career change of a stay at home dad. The entire statf looked like they couldn't be older than 18, some even younger. The service was horrible, menu knowledge zero, but it didn't matter because the burgers we ordered medium were like charcoal briquets.

My advice is to keep driving or sleep in your car.

Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Jonathan F
South Dakota
Reviewed September 16, 2008

I stayed here Sept. 8th thru the 11th for a conference. I requested a non smoking room for the start. But, I was put in a smoking room in the pool area with no window. So, I called the front desk requested a non smoking room and was told they were booked. But, they did end up moving me to a smoking room on the 2nd room with a window... Needless to say this was long week in a smoking room.

The hallways looked like they hadn't vacuumed either, cigarettes, glasses outside of rooms etc.

The rooms need help as far as cleaniness. My room had food around the bed, nightstand etc. There was dried urine on the side of the toilet. I called to have them vacuum, they didn't come. Finally I called again and they came up I think maybe they just went down the middle of the floor... Also my friends room next door had not been vacuumed either, she called to complain also.
I went to Walmart and got cleaning supplies to clean it myself. After seeing the maids I knew this wouldn't get done...

As far as the lounge and eating establishment goes, it was fine. The lobby area and the conference room were fine. It's just the rooms. And alot of people were complaining. The girl at the front desk didn't seem to care at all, in fact she told me I was just stuck with a smoking room!!

It's really to bad. This could be nice place.

• Liked — The lounge
  • Disliked — the rooms, very dirty
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minneapolis
Reviewed August 12, 2007

We (my wife, myself and our 3 kids under 10) stayed here for 1 night on our way to Yellowstone. The hotel had a number of nice features - wireless internet access in the room, a large, clean swimming pool, a whirlpool, non-smoking rooms, luggage carts right by the door, elevators and a great rate (about $70 for 2 queens and a rollaway). But our biggest concerns were cleanliness. Nothing to the point where we thought we should request a new room, but still - a long hair in the bathroom sink, the coffee maker hadn't been cleaned from the last guests and we found a small bug on one of the beds. Also, the whirlpool jets didn't work and the water looked sort of murky. Also, with the 3 kids it would have been nice to have had a complimentary continental breakfast (I knew this when we made our ressies). Would we stay here again? Maybe, but I'd probably try the Super 8 first, which also looks to get good reviews and does have the breakfast.

• Liked — price, large pool, internet access
  • Disliked — some cleanliness issues, no continental breakfast
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank route66guy
doudah
Reviewed February 1, 2007

I just returned from my 2nd 3-week stay.
Rooms are excellent. Large and roomy, well-built and quiet. Excellent service. Hotel is very conveniently located.
The restaurant is the best in Huron. Excellent food.
I won't hesitate to book a room next time I'm in Huron.

Stayed January 2007