“Not Puppy Love”

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Hill City
Southlake, Texas
“Not Puppy Love”
Reviewed July 16, 2008

This is a good facility and a good value in the Black Hils. The suite we had was roomy and well appointed.

We were travelling with our dog. We booked specifically because pets were allowed and advised that we we would be bringing one. He's a 4 month old Lab. A maintenance man saw that our boys were taking him into our building and began to berate them. He apperantly felt that pets were not allowed even though there is a marked pet "area" right out the door from our unit. I suppose he thought the boys had made the reservation or assigned the room?

Our dog sleeps in a dog crate and was in there while we went to Crazy Horse. When we returned he had been let out of his crate and was loose in the suite. Subsequently he developed terrible diharrea. We took him to a vet and were told he had eaten something outside his normal food, probably chocolate or something similar. We spent the next few days cleaning up his crate...... He's fine now. This hotel is a good spot, just keep an eye on your pet.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Southern California
Reviewed July 7, 2008

We spent two nights at this hotel. We stayed in one of the brand new suites the hotel now offers. The room was very large, even for a suite. It was super clean, comfortable, and well furnished. Unfortunately, the hotel doesn't offer breakfast, but does have an on site restaurant. The food was great, the prices fair, but the waiter seemed to be hard of hearing and had to see the menu to know what you wanted, but the food was delivered as ordered and was delivered very fast. The have a buffet which is good for children and families, especially if you are on a budget. Although the hotel is on the edge of town, it isn't far to downtown. Overall it was a decent stay on a weekend July Fourth weekend.

• Liked — The size of the suite
  • Disliked — The lack of a free breakfast
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 5, 2008

The Pros – Room was a nice size and relatively clean. The vanity area had double sinks which was convenient. Staff in the restaurant was friendly and the food was pretty good. Location was close to Mt. Rushmore, Jewel Cave and Wind Cave.

The Cons – No Internet access. For a large hotel chain, I would have expected this service. We’ve stayed at many smaller independent hotels located in the middle of nowhere and had access.

• Liked — Nice size room.
  • Disliked — No Internet access.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Indiana
Reviewed April 1, 2008

We paid under $70 for this hotel. It was clean and fresh and they had an excellent pool. The breakfast was not included, but it was DELICIOUS and the waitress was incredibly nice. Exactly how you'd like to be treated in a small town on vacation. I really recommend this hotel!

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank j_27
varied
Reviewed July 23, 2007

I loved the fact that our double had two sinks, both placed outside of the room with the toilet and shower. I was sharing the room with three teenagers so that came in very useful. For that alone I will return if I ever make it back to the Black Hills again. I liked the fact that the hotel was in a quiet little town. It was a short drive to some very nice restaurants, although the restaurant attached to the hotel had good food as well. Thanks to the great location, we thoroughly visited the Black Hills in two short days.

We did have a problem with our room where the previous occupant had smoked - which was against the rules, as the entire hotel was a non-smoking one. The stench was not strong, the males in my party did not notice it, but all of the females noticed it immediately. A manager came almost immediately and offered to spray down the room with something like febreeze as well as move us to a new room if the smell continued. After she sprayed the place, the smell was gone. She was very apologetic although it wasn't her fault and the room was wonderful otherwise.

The final great thing about this hotel - one of the members of our party misplaced his toiletry bag. The hotel nearly replaced the whole thing for free. I will stay here again in the future.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — NO free breakfast
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank kimeradae
minnesota
Reviewed July 15, 2007

The suites are the best!!! We stayed on the 3rd floor and had a suite with 2 queen beds in 1 bedroom and a King in the adjoining room! It was sooooooooo perfect. The cathedral ceilings, the wonderful furnishings and it was very very clean. The bathroom in the queen bedroom was very nice with a huge granite double sink outside the bathroom. Nice spacious living room too. This suite was beyond my expections.

Stayed July 2007
3 Thank luv2travel74
Weeki Wachee, Fl
Reviewed May 29, 2007

We have been staying at the Best Western Golden now for 4 years. They have always been good to us and our pet. But the last 2 times in April and again in May we forgot something in our room. We called immediately and were told nothing was found. The first item left was a battery and charger to our $4000.00 camera. But we were told it wasn't there. We know where we left it. This time over the Memorial Day weekend I left my orthopedic pillow, it was no big deal but when I know I slept on it the last night and I know it wasn't in our vehicle 50 miles down the road it was still on the bed. I called immediately and reported it and then again today I called back to see what we could do to get it back as I am returning to Hill City in June. I was told it was not found. Enough is Enough, someone has a large collection on lost items or left items. Needless to say I will not be staying at the BW on my visit in June.
Lost in Hill City

• Liked — They allowed my pet
  • Disliked — Left items cannot be recovered
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Keystone
Roosevelt Inn
Roosevelt Inn
#5 of 14 in Keystone

Been to Best Western Golden Spike Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!