“Wonderful stay”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Hill City
North Platte, Nebraska
“Wonderful stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

My daughter's family and I stayed here in July and loved it! The cabins are spacious - the bedding and towels CLEAN! My grandson loved the playgrounds, pool and campfires. We adults loved the barbecue grills, picnic tables and meeting other guests. In the heart of the Black Hills, we were close to attractions. The cleaning deposit was returned to my account within two days of leaving. Will definitely return!

Room Tip: Explain to the owner, George, what you are interested in and he will do his best to help you.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Myrna L
Quailscr, Owner at Black Hills Cabins and Motel at Quail's Crossing, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
I just cannot thank great customer enough. They are Always welcome back and they make what I do here enjoyable. Thanks George - owner-operator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Quail's Crossing with our three kids (ages 4, 7, and 9) during our first family trip to the Black Hills. This place rocks because of the unique amenities especially for kids. First of all, there is a pool. Not many of the cabins in the area have a pool. This is really nice after a day of traveling about to come back and the kids can cool off and relax in the pool. Second, the kids (and me and my husband too) had fun gold mining with George (the owner) in the creek at the back of the property. This quintessential Black Hills experience is included in your stay, so its cheaper and a lot more genuine and neater than going to a tourist trap to "mine". We found a speck of gold! My daughter (7 yr) also loved the fact that there was a resident horse, Aces, who she could pet and feed. As a family who does a lot of biking, it was awesome that George has a huge stock (probably 20 bikes) for people to use for the Mickleson Bike Trail which you have access from the Quail Crossing property. Use of the bike and trail pass is included in stay. It's also a very family friendly place. There were lots of families with kids there during our stay, so the kids could run around together and parents could relax. The kids also enjoyed playing tetherball and badminton and having a campfire and s'mores.

The location is perfect. You're right in the middle of the Black Hills which in my opinion is the prettiest. You are literally only 1 minute outside of Hill City and maybe 10 minutes from Custer State Park and 15 minutes or so from Mt.Rushmore. Even the more remote parts of the Black Hills aren't that far since you are centrally located. You can easily do Deadwood or Hot Springs in an afternoon.

As for the cabins, maybe they aren't as "fancy" as some newer places, but they are a good size and very clean. Our cabin had two bedrooms with a queen bed in each and a living room with a pullout couch. For our family, the size was perfect. The kids being in a different room from us which was so nice. I think we would have strangled each other in a standard hotel room. All the kitchen appliances were in good working order and we cooked several meals there which was a huge cost savings. All the cabins are air-conditioned but it was so beautiful when we were there we never had to turn it on. It was wonderful sleeping with the windows open.

Also Quail's Crossing is incredibly affordable. I don't think we could have found a better deal anywhere in the Black Hills for the size of the cabin with our number of kids. Totally worth every penny.

I totally recommend this place (and I'm usually to lazy to write up reviews, but this place was great!) if you are traveling to the Black Hills in the future. We loved it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Amanda B
Amanda and her family was great and nothing greater that customers that appreciate all the effort
I put into making their stay as memorable as I can possibly do. If I am lucky they will come visit me & the Black Hills again. Thanks George owner-operator.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We booked for four nights and after the first night we moved to a cabin instead. The motel is a two story complex and as we where on the bottom floor, we could hear ever little foot step above us...every little creek

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank Heyuaaron
Sorry these people was not happy. Unfortunately some customer are heavy footed. But when I told this customer, I had said something to the people above him, he changed his story. Unfortunately I think they could get a free stay by complaining and did not like it when I was able to move them to a private cabin. Stay in a motel you are not alone.
Thanks George owner-operator.
Clinton, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Spent 5 days there and not a one was disappointing. Setting on the deck watching deer and turkey in the valley was fantastic. George cares about his guess and is truly one of a kind person. Rooms are clean well maintained and very good sizes. Hill City is in the heart of the Black Hills so all things are a short drive. Motel was very quite and the other guest were pleasant and keep it quite. Why pay a major chain to look out at a blacktop parking lot with noise guess. Looking for to our next trip back there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Gillette, Wyoming, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

This was our second time staying at Quails Crossing. We loved it so much that we came back for a longer weekend stay! The location is very convenient to all area attractions and George has everything for travelers in one place. Pool, hot tub, private CLEAN cabins, fire pits....just as advertised :) we ride our motorcycles over from Wy and are completely satisfied with our stay. One of the best one-stop places to stay! Thanks George :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We had a group of 8 (5 children) in our party and we stayed in the suite on the bottom floor of the motel. An earlier reviewer put it best...you can't judge this property on first impressions. There are definitely some "cosmetic" blemishes, but all-in-all this is a very clean, pleasant and comfortable stay.

The suite features 3 small bedrooms...all with queen size beds...and three pull-out sofa beds in the main living area. For a large group such as ours, the sleeping accommodations were quite sufficient. The two full bathrooms were also nice to have. The suite has a full kitchen, with an ample supply of pots, pans, cooking utensils and dishes. The dining room table is really big, perfect for mealtimes together as a group. The main room also has a large flat-screen TV.

Just outside the suite are a picnic table, yard chairs and a large charcoal grill. Charcoal, lighter fluid and matches are all provided at no charge.

Our kids enjoyed the tether-ball courts and pool. The Mickelson Trail runs right behind the property. Trail passes are provided to guests. George also has complimentary bicycles for his guests to use on the trail.

Hill City is a perfect "base" for your Black Hills vacation. Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Pactola Resovoir, Keystone, Needles Highway, Iron Mountain Rd, Sylvan Lake, the Flintstones and lots of shopping options are all just minutes away. Hot Springs, Rapid City, Deadwood and Sturgis are all within an hour drive.

I recommend Quail Crossing to anyone looking for a genuine, comfortable, no frills experience. If you are looking for the latest amenities, this probably is not the right place for you. It's very clean, but somewhat dated.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Another great customer. Glad you enjoyed your stay. Yes they are older, but I do my best to keep them maintained & Clean. Thanks George owner-operator
Rock Valley, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

We took a short trip to the black hills with our cycle. I am a first impressions type of a person, but this place you cannot go by first impression We stayed in the motel part, it was clean ( believe me I checked). George was very helpful and answered all our questions, he showed us on a map good roads to ride. Even though the grounds could use some weed removal and updating it is still a place I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hill City
Roosevelt Inn
Roosevelt Inn
#5 of 14 in Keystone

Been to Black Hills Cabins and Motel at Quail's Crossing? Share your experiences!