“From all 7 of our children, 3 to 14...they all didn't want to leave!!! The best place for families!”

Black Hills Cabins and Motel at Quail's Crossing
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Hill City
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Our family had this trip planned and was looking forward to it, but never expected the warmth and friendliness we found at Quails Crossing. George was very accomodating. We looked into many other places that were more touristy, but found our way back to Quail's Crossing every time. With all of the amenities, not one place could compare. George took 5 of our 7 children out to learn to pan, some got a few garnets and one lucky girl a dot of gold. He took time to teach them to do this even knowing that he had a prior appt. The pool was VERY clean, I NEVER saw a pool vacuum in sight working while our children were swimming. In fact, I don't think that would ever be allowed on this property as safety and cleanliness are one thing I believe George can take pride in on his property of many accomodating places to stay. Given that he had 15+ bikes to use for FREE, and pans to go panning, bike helmets and free trail passes, fishing poles, and many other items that our family used was awesome. When we went to cook outside, the shock of free charcoal and lighter fluid...WOW...then another happy of having long skewers for hot dogs and marshamallows over a campfire...this is the place I would not only recommend, but also intend on making this a regular family trip.

Inside our motel suite which had EVERYTHING we could possibly need, it was clean and very updated. Our beddings were clean neat and fluffy! We rented a DVD player to use with the very nice flat screen across from our 2 out of 3 sleeper sofa beds. Our kids played during the day and rested cozy at night watching dvd's that George provided in the office. I cannot explain how filled with amenities our family was provided with so we could stay happily enjoying our family and bringing us all together. We did roam all across the area to see Mt. Rushmore, and other points of interest, but all of us couldn't wait to get back and hang and play like families so forget to do at times.

I read about some negative testimonials that actually made me upset, when you rent a place, agreements are made, and everything was provided for to cleanup any mess that could have possibly been made. I can't imagine anyone not getting a deposit back unless you think you are wanting maid service (which is provided for a fee if you can't clean up after yourself). This is a great value for a couple to a very large family like ours. There are no complaints here, only smiles!!! We will return on a regular yearly basis if our time allows....Thanks George!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank alyni31
Quailscr, Owner at Black Hills Cabins and Motel at Quail's Crossing, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2012

What a great family to have as guest here at Quail's Crossing. I love to see my guest take advantage of all I have to offer and I can never turn down the chance to teach them how to gold & garnet pan. Our Suite new in 2010 has been a great success and what a joy to see everyone enjoy thier stay in it. Hope to see this family agian. Thanks George

Reviewed July 26, 2011

We stayed in the suite, The pictures on the web site do not do it justice
Very clean, Beautiful work George has done make it wonderful
The pool is clean and our kids used it every day, they loved it
George is great, the grounds are well maintained. The grill is right outside
Your door with all the utensils you need to grill. It is right on Mickelson Trail,
George provides bikes, He also provides panning equipment.
If you are going to stay in the Black Hills you have to stay here
We will be back, We loved Quail’s Crossing, THANKS GEORGE

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank knight1500

Thank You. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Appreciate the great effort to cleanup, so I could return your deposit. Look forward to your staying at Quail's Crossing again. Thanks agian, George

Reviewed July 15, 2011

Quail's Crossing in Hill City, South Dakota is terrific! If you're going to be in the Black Hills you MUST stay at Quail's Crossing! We've been to this area before and stayed at one of the lovely chain motels in town - none of those compare to this place. Each year my husband, teenage daughter and I take a 3-4 week motorcycle trip - we have stayed in all sorts of accomadations and this is by far the best. The view off the great porches of the motel is worth the rate of the place, plus there are ameninties that go on forever. We particularly enjoyed the grills on the porch - steps from our door, with everything you need to grill provided - and the two firepits. Other travellers would love the free and "right there" access to the Mickelson Trail, the playground and pool, bicycles and more. The owner, George, was so good to us. He even walked up to our motel room late one evening to tell us that a storm was brewing and helped us move the picnic tables at the pavillion and get our bikes under cover there. We found it hard to leave this place each morning to site-see, but once we pulled away it was only minutes to all the great things to do and see in the Black Hills. Again, if you're going to this area - you simply MUST stay at Quail's Crossing! Maybe we will see you there!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Riders47
Reviewed June 30, 2011

When we checked in George was very friendly, talked about where he grew up and about his family fighting the flood in Iowa. We stayed in the suite, had lots of room for 3 adults and 3 children. At first we too were a little uptight about the cleaning rules and was afraid he wasn't going to be fair about giving our deposit back. But after the first day we were fine. George was very helpful with getting charcoal and getting drinks for the kids and telling them the history of the trail as they went bike riding most of that day. The next 3 days were weren't there much and usually returned to the suite around 9:00pm, we then grilled our supper every night and had no problem with anyone because of the lateness. Getting up in the morning was such a pleasant experience, seeing the sun rise over the hills, it was so peaceful! Although it was too cold while we were there to swim the kids enjoyed the playground and the bikes and the horse ( Aces) that came right up to your cabin and the kids for treats. It got pretty chilly at night and George came to light the furnace for us as soon as we ask him to, he was so helpful and upon inspection of the facility, told us it looked great. Didn't have to do more than you would do at your own home. When we checked out George was very nice as we talked about the area and ask us to come again and suggested different times to come for events in the area of the hills. We have been to the hills about 10 times and this was more pleasant than staying in Rapid City in a motel. We will be back again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MarilynMerksick
Reviewed June 19, 2011

My family has been staying at Quail's crossing for years and have enjoyed every year.
The location is great and close to pretty much everything. The cabins are rustic and clean that is how we what our stay. Every thing you need comes with them. All cleaning supplies, dishes, silverware to prepare your own meals.No big, crowded, noisy hotels with people checking in all night keeping you up.
If you are looking to go to the hills and enjoy the area and want the country living feel this is your place.
The owner is great and takes care of his customers, supplies BBQ supplies, bikes and even panning equipment so kids may pan for gold.
He only asks that you respect his property as he will respect you and your property.
I read a review complaining about the rules, I can tell you from many years of staying at Quail's crossing the rules are fare and in place to serve us all for a great, peaceful stay.
Call George now, they fill up fast, just don't take my cabin please.

Room Tip: All cabins
  • Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Jeff53821
Reviewed June 10, 2011

We had a great time at quails crossing. The manager George was very friendly and curtious. The most amzing thing was all the the activities that were included with out rental fee, no hidden extras, this is the cost for it all. Didn't have to leave at all.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank nurse980273
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Wow, I just got off the phone with someone at this facility. Told him I need a room for my mother for one night in July. He said, no problem,we can put you in the motel. Then I told him that my mom was staying in his hotel for the first night while the rest of us were staying at a local campground in my RV. She would then join us for the second night. He actually stopped in his tracks and said "No, I don't think I'll be interested in that. You should go through your campground for accommodations, thank you" and then he hung up.
I can't imagine what his deal was, regardless I'm glad this happened. If he's like this on the phone, what's he (and the hotel) like in person.
FYI, Crooked Creek Campground and Rafter J Bar Ranch have great cabins. Crooked Creek also has motel rooms.

• Stayed: April 2011
12  Thank GOTYER6
Quailscr, Owner at Black Hills Cabins and Motel at Quail's Crossing, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2011

Sorry but all businesses have a right to refuse service. But lets get the story straight. This person
call up asking for an accommodation for the week for 1 person, I said I would have a room available. Then the story changed, he then stated that they was have a family reunion with the whole family staying at one of my competitors and the room would be just for his mother for 1 night in the middle of the weekend, not the week as first indicated. First of all I did not like the bait and switch. I am sure this tactic was used, because this person knew it was a busy time and not many places would want to tie up an room for just one nigjht. I suggested that they figure out some way for her to stay with the rest of the family, I would not be interested. Thanks you bye.
This person did not like that he could not munipulate my business, so he got mad and this review is the result.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hill City
Powder House Lodge
Powder House Lodge
#1 of 9 in Keystone
Bavarian Inn, Black Hills

Been to Black Hills Cabins and Motel at Quail's Crossing? Share your experiences!