“Fantastic!”
Review of Newton Fork Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hill City
Newton Fork Ranch
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We were traveling through the area and decided to stop at Mt Rushmore for the day. We found Newton Fork Ranch on trip advisor and it met all of our requirements. Close to the monument and sites, pet friendly, super clean and charming. The property is beautiful and the cabins were perfect. Our son loved the loft bedroom!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Jennifer K
SDRanchOwner, Owner at Newton Fork Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Jennifer, thank you for taking your valuable time to share your recent Newton Fork Ranch experience with others. We continually strive to maintain clean, comfortable, and visually appealing accommodations in which to relax and lay one's head. And your feedback reassures us that we are meeting our goals. We hope you and your lovely family will return to stay with us again one day!

Reviewed December 2, 2013

The cabins are really nice and the location is fantastic. My wife and I stayed in the Timber Haus. The cabins are well built and sit on the perimeter of a great meadow. They are far enough apart to offer privacy and they are located just 1/2 mile out of Hill City. I was a little concerned before my arrival that they were too close to town to really provide that "get away from it all" experience, but I found that not to be true. One of my favorite things about this part of the country, during this time of the year (winter), is that the the night sky is visibly covered in thousands of stars. I was concerned that the ambient lights from Hill City would obscure them, but that didn't happen. The stars and the Milky Way were there to enjoy. And, although, close to town the are secluded. The owner was attentive and obviously proud of her property. She stopped by and checked on us. Plus she allows pets there, so that was an added incentive. The deer fed in the meadow at sunrise and at dusk and they were fun to watch. But, the owner does request that your dog be kept on a leash because they will chase after the deer. I didn't find this out until we spoke with her. But, it is her land and her request. Although I found this "policy" written nowhere. Not in the cabin or online. Still a great place and I highly recommend it. I didn't give the cabin a fifth star because the upstairs bedroom loft is incredibly small. I am 5'09" tall and couldn't stand upright in the loft due to the sloping cabin roof. But, if you don't mind a little gymnastics upon awaking and going to bed, then that's not an issue. Also, the Alpine Inn in Hill City is a "must do" if you like German cuisine. We lived in Germany for 5 years and the Jaeger Schnitzel and Spaetzle that they served at the Inn was very good.

Room Tip: The upstairs cabin lofts are very small and the stairs up to them are steep. If you are tall, have...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David E
SDRanchOwner, Owner at Newton Fork Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

David, thank you for your lovely comments and detailed review. It's true, our guests are amazed that we are so very close to town and yet the ranch still feels secluded. And I agree with you, being able to see the stars at night is a "must." A few years ago, I even had the electric company come out and update the pole light in front of the old ranch house to improve the ambient lighting. Regarding our dogs-on-leash policy, I very much appreciate that you pointed out that this was not readily apparent. Because of your input, we now have it in written form in each cabin. And finally, regarding the loft height, the theme of the ranch is "small log cabins in the woods." As such, the lofts are small and the stairs have a distinct pitch because the cabins initially had ladders. I am sure you will agree that the current log stairs are an improvement on the original design. Thank you again, David, for your positive and very helpful review. I hope we will have the opportunity to have you visit us in the future!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

My husband and I spent 5 nights in the Timber Haus cabin. The cabin was peaceful and relaxing. We enjoyed watching the deer and turkeys "play" in the field right outside our cabin. Loved the deck for having wine and cheese at the end of the day. Great location - close to Mount Rushmore, Custer State Park and Rapid City. Enjoyed Linda's Deli, Alpine Inn and Silver Dollar Saloon all in Hill City.

Room Tip: We loved the Timber Haus cabin because it felt like we were in the trees.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
SDRanchOwner, Owner at Newton Fork Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

We enjoyed having you visit us and appreciate your kind and encouraging words regarding our Timber Haus cabin. It's especially wonderful to read that you relaxed and enjoyed wine and cheese on the deck. We love hearing that our guests have taken the opportunity to slow down and reconnect with each other and with nature. Thank you again for taking the time to review us and for sharing your dining recommendations. That is very helpful to our new and returning guests. Speaking of which, we hope we'll see you again soon too!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We spent 4 nights in the Deer Hollow cabin. Clean, quiet, nice kitchen, great deck. We would not choose to have a loft bedroom next time. It is as much about location as anything. Hill City worked great for all of our activities. Favorites included hiking Harney's Peak, the Wildlife Loop in Custer, approaching Mt. Rushmore on the Iron Mountain Road, Mt. Rushmore itself ( but going both during the day and again at night was overkill ), Devil's Tower hike in WY and Crazy Horse. Jewell Cave did not get us excited. The 17 mile bike ride on the Mickelson trail was unique. We were shuttled to Mystic and then rode back to Hill City ( going right through Newton Fork Ranch). Use Rabbit Bikes ( we used the other ). Coming back to the ranch for a glass of wine on the deck was always a highlight! BTW, we are in our mid-60s and all this is very doable if in decent shape.

Room Tip: Keep in mind many of these cabins use sleeping lofts.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
SDRanchOwner, Owner at Newton Fork Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

I so appreciate your "ringing endorsement" regarding Newton Fork Ranch being "a wonderful home base." We are fortunate to be in a central location, not only to Hill City, but to the surrounding Black Hills. Thank you also for pointing out that the loft cabins may not be for everyone. I would encourage our guests to look at the photos on our website before choosing one cabin over another. Perhaps on your next visit you would consider staying in one of our single story cabins: Harney View or Grandma's Ranch House. That said, you certainly must be in excellent shape. I was exhausted just reading what all you had accomplished during your recent stay! Thank goodness your touring included a glass of well-deserved wine on the deck in the evening. In closing, thank you again for choosing to stay at Newton Fork Ranch and I hope you will return to us in the not-too-distant future.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I have been staying at NFR for Sturgis Bike Week on & off since 1996. I WILL NEVER STAY ANY PLACE ELSE!! The cabins are SPOTLESS, warm, cozy, inviting, and very well appointed. I especially love the antique touches in Grandma's House :) Absolutely beautiful landscaping done by the owner. Gorgeous!
I miss the horses, the hummingbirds, the numerous deer, the turkeys, the quails, and all the beautiful birds. And until next time, I will miss the rumble of the motorcycles coming up the hill and or around the corner.
The property manager, Marianne is especially gracious and always has your comfort and needs in mind. Thank you Marianne for everything all these years!!
Even if you're not in town for Sturgis Bike Week, the area has so much to offer, Crazy Horse, Mt. Rushmore, Custer, Deadwood, Keystone, etc and NFR is smack in the middle of it all. Great food in the area, great fun, great people, and a fabulous place to park your butt (NFR)!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Now that the dust has settled from our annual polo game at Newton Fork Ranch (the Hill City team was victorious over Rapid City 5-3, BTW), I can catch up on our TripAdvisor reviews. Thank you so very much for your kind and enthusiastic appraisal. Not only am I thrilled to have you return to the ranch over these past many years but I cannot imagine a better endorsement than your sentence "I WILL NEVER STAY ANY PLACE ELSE!! (All in caps no less!) Thank you, thank you, thank you for your loyalty and for your thoughtful and most welcomed words of praise. I assure you we will work hard to earn your continued patronage and please know, until you return, we (including the flora and fauna) will miss you too!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We have spent a full week at the Newton Fork Ranch for each of the past four summers after another resort operator recommended it for us when I emphasized our interest in a quiet, private place to stay in the Black Hills. The proximity to the Mickelson Trail was an unexpected bonus because the trail is our main reason for coming to the Black Hills in the first place. Even after four annual visits, we haven't tired of the place and will be back.

Relaxation is what's for sale here. While Marianne, the owner, is available just down the road from the cabins, and is extremely happy to help when needed, the ranch does not provide housekeeping service so you are unlikely to see the staff unless you actively seek them out. The cabins are far enough apart to assure a strong sense of privacy. A very large lawn in the center of the ranch serves as a wildlife magnet during the early morning and twilight hours, with deer and turkeys an almost sure bet as visitors.

The six small cabins are just that, small. They are advertised as sleeping four, which is technically correct, but a group of four adults would feel very "close," particularly at night when the extended downstairs sleeper sofa blocks the way to the kitchen and bathroom for those sleeping upstairs in the open loft "bedroom." Getting four adults around the kitchen table would also be a bit tight. From my perspective, the six smaller cabins are great for an adult couple, or perhaps a family with one smaller child who might feel comfortable sleeping on a sofa. It is important to note that the steps up to the 2nd floor loft are very steep with narrow treads; persons with mobility issues might find them treacherous to negotiate, particularly with a suitcase in tow.

The larger cabin, Harney View, is all on one level and considerably more spacious, but by no means palatial. I've never seen the inside of Grandma's House, so can offer no impression of it.

Downtown Hill City is about a half-mile drive from Newton Fork, or a very pleasant one mile walk or bike along the Mickelson Trail. Hill City is packed with tourists during the summer months and offers many services, including a small but excellent full service grocery store. My advice is to cook many of your meals in the fully stocked kitchens you'll find in the cabins. (Full sized refrigerators, but no dish washers.)

Room Tip: The Meadow Song and Timber Haus cabins are closer together than the others, but still well separated...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChelvisGeo
SDRanchOwner, Owner at Newton Fork Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Thank you for your thoughtful and insightful review of Newton Fork Ranch. If you are not a writer by profession, you certainly should be! I loved your quote "Relaxation is what is for sale here." But I especially want to thank you for staying with us these past four summers. We are a third-generation property and, as the ranch is a "true labor of love," your repeat business is the greatest compliment of all.

I would like to address a few points in your review, all of which were valid. Regarding the absence of staff, we try to keep a somewhat low profile as we value your peace and tranquility. And as for housekeeping, please know that Marianne, my property manager who lives next door, is available to change the linens and towels every third day. Marianne and I are always extremely concerned that your needs are being met.

And yes, the cabins tend to be on the small side as I was trying to establish a small footprint for the lodging business. You are absolutely correct when you say they are perfect for couples. They were built with that in mind but, from the day we opened, the question we were always asked was "but what is the maximum number they will sleep?" So we have invested in high-end sofa beds to accommodate up to four people in our loft cabins. Our Harney View cabin, as you mentioned is a two-bedroom, and in 2011 we added our remodeled Grandma's Ranch House which is now the largest of all.

Again, I cannot thank you enough for your kind words and for your continued patronage. Please always let us know if there is anything we can provide you with during your stay to make it more pleasurable. We are always close by even if you can't readily see us! ;-)

- Linda Flounders, Owner
Newton Fork Ranch

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed four nights at Newton Fork Ranch and loved every minute of it. The cabin was spotlessly clean and the the area is beautiful and peaceful. I enjoyed watching the deer graze right in front of our cabin in the mornings as I sat on the porch sipping my coffee. The cabin was roomy, even though there were seven of us staying in it. Everything we could need was included, too, i.e. dishes, pots and pans, silverware, linen, towels, and the basic kitchen supplies. There was a stereo and a bunch of board games as well. I will definitely be going back, it's like a haven there!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Susan S

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay. Your description of your vacation is exactly what we hope our guests will experience when visiting Newton Fork Ranch: relaxing on the porch with a favorite beverage; watching the resident wildlife in peaceful surroundings; and enjoying conversation and board games with friends and family in the tranquil evenings. We hope you will be able to return to us in the not-too-distant future. Your haven awaits!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hill City
Trails End Cabins & Motel
Trails End Cabins & Motel
#3 of 13 in Hill City
Bavarian Inn, Black Hills

Been to Newton Fork Ranch? Share your experiences!