“Wonderful for a campground!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mount Rushmore / Hill City KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hill City
Mount Rushmore / Hill City KOA
Omaha, NE
“Wonderful for a campground!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2008

This campground was PERFECT! We have a daughter who is 2 1/2 and she LOVED it! There are plenty of things for the kiddos to do from jumping on the huge jumping pillow, a BRAND new splash park and the swimming pool.

Our cabin was lovely. It did have bugs, but it's a CABIN! You're supposed to be roughing it, right? If you don't want bugs stay in a hotel. We loved the porch swing and fire pit.

The bathroom were always kept very clean. The showers got a little dirty around 10 pm, but that was during the shower rush, so it is expected.

All in all, this was a wonderful place to stay.

The restaurant on the grounds, Ponderosa, had AWFUL service. Don't eat there. We were even given a dirty cup for our daughter...it still had the BBQ sauce and finger grease from the previous user all over it.

• Liked — The clean bathrooms and child friendly activities
  • Disliked — The restuarant on-site...Ponderosa.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2008

We just came back from a family vacation and stayed at Mount Rushmore KOA. This campground is the 2nd largest campground in North America. This campground has the best of both worlds. Lots of amenities and if you are camping on the outer edge of the campground you have peace and quiet. For amenites, there are 2 pools, one small and didn't really see anyone using it and the other one normal size. There is a waterslide that catered really to kids only. But that is ok. When we were there it was always busy and the kids whether little or older looked like they were having a ball. They have mini golf which was always busy, a jumping pillow which my kids loved and they are 11 & 14. They have a great water park for the little ones. Good basketball court and beach volleyball net. Although my kids did not go, they showed movies everynight. They were mostly Walt Disney movies like Finding Nemo. There is lots to do at the campground. As far as the camping spots are concerned when you first drive past the office you will see camping that is very open and parking lot style. I don't disagree that it is definitely parking lot camping. But if you go on the KOA website you can get spots that are farther away and not so parking lot style and quieter from the "resort" life, yet close enough that you can walk to all the activities. Very centralized and the kids will love it. I highly recommend this KOA.

Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2008

We had our family reunion at this KOA/Resort. They COMPLETELY messued up reservations...it really was quite ridiuculous. The campers looked like sardines, I would hate to have to trailer and back in there! Our cabin was beautiful but it should have been for $650 a night...they upgraded us becuase they double booked our cabin with a relative and bumped us w/ no notice, then when I found out just by chance I called and made them make it right for us. So we go the grand executive cabin for the same price as a tiny cabin! The place is spread out horrible. The pool is right by the horse barn so there are tons of flies. I am from a farm and it still bothered me! There is no bathroom by the pool!! Mini golf is moderate at best. And that is about it...WAY over rated by their advertisements!!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
columbus
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2007

Was very disappointed in the Lodge which is where we stayed at.
First off if you did not arrive back tot he lodge early - you had to park in the dark on a hill which had no lighting. Hotel keys would not let you in the side entrance - which meant you had to walk around to the front.
For people with disibilities - they only have 2 disabled parking places!

The rooms were ok - clean - but did not have nice decor or quality linens. Two times they did not leave 4 towels in our bathroom for showers. The water pressure varried from good to a trickle! The front desk is not manned 24 hours - it shuts down during around midnight.

Our room had a balcany - which was the nicest thing about the lodge. The continental breakfast was that - cereal, muffin, bagel, etc. - it was ok!

Avoid the Ponderosa restaurant for dinner - breakfast is ok - but dinner is yucko! If you have a party of 6 or more they had on a 18% gratuity - and the service was not worth 18%.

Avoid the pizza place at the bottom of the hill - next to the ice cream place. It is the worst pizza in the world! Frozen crust - no sauce and hide and seek pepperoni!

I would not reccommend the lodge to ANYONE - not even my worst friend. This is a huge rip- off stay in town at Hill City or Keystone!

• Liked — Nothing was good!
  • Disliked — Everything was bad!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank muff1234
chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

We arrived to our cabin only to find dead flys in the windows, More flys then I could count and a wasp nest inside the cabin. The furniture in the cabin was old and out dated. I sat in the rocking chair only to have the back break(I only weigh 230). The floor in the cabin had settled and slants to the front of the cabin. The stove and refrigerator needed to be updated. The mantle over the fireplace had been burned by previous people but the smell was still overwhelming. The bedding was worn out.
Our dining experience at the "restuarant" on the site was even worse. We were told our group would have to wait even longer(at the time we were told 30 minutes for an empty restuarant) becuase the staff couldn't enter orders on their computer. We didn't eat there.
The area surrounding the facility is wonderful, many sites to see besides Mt.Rushmore and Crazy Horse.

Stayed August 2007
Philadelphia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2007

Campground crowded and bathrooms filthy.

Stayed July 2007
st paul, mn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2007

My husband and I took our 4 year old son and 8 year old daughter to the KOA and my daughter begged to stay another day. At the dinner table tonight my son asked me if we're going back tonight.

I think they really enjoyed all the fun available to them in the afternoons and evenings once we were done sightseeing for the day. For $45 you can get a family pass for all the "extra" attractions: jump pillow, water slide and mini golf. The day we were leaving the splash park was reopening. I guess they were having draining issues with it from the day it was put it so its not the KOA's fault but thankfully they think they have it ready to go. We stayed in the Lodge and it was awesome. The people there were very friendly and helpful. One girl at the desk has been in the area for 5 years so she was able to give great advice on where to go, whether you had kids or traveling on your own. The only downside to the Lodge was how rude some guests can be. We had someone above us walking around with very heavy feet at 6:00 in the morning. Also, some people, would let their room door slam shut and it was quite annoying. Its not the KOA's fault but just common sense. My kids know enough to let a door shut gently. The nightly movies were great for the kids. They also had Father's Day crafts for the kids.

We went horseback riding right there at the stables and I would not recommend it. It was an hour and 20 minute trail ride, very slow and my daughter was getting bored after 45 minutes. Don't get me wrong if you don't mind going through the woods at a slow pace but it was extremely hot and having your horses nose up the keister of another horse and actually being able to see everything when that horse does a duty - yuk. But on a good note. The people at the stables were incredibly friendly and helpful. They were very good with my daughter and with me at the end since I was stiff and could hardly dismount. LOL.

I've already looked for KOA's closer to home because I love the fact that they have all kinds of entertainment for the kids. Oh and I forgot to mention they have nightly music/talent for all ages and also rock climbing, fishing pond...the list goes on and on.

Also, if you have any questions you can go to the general store and they have an information area where you can ask your questions or have them look up info online for you.

I've also seen people mention how packed it was and not having cable TV, isn't that what camping is all about. Getting out with the kids or spending time with them playing cards or meeting the people next to you, making new friends???

• Liked — the kids activities
  • Disliked — if would have been nice to have an outdoor firepit for the lodge guests
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hill City
Roosevelt Inn
Roosevelt Inn
#5 of 14 in Keystone

Been to Mount Rushmore / Hill City KOA? Share your experiences!