“Great Steaks!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alpine Inn

Alpine Inn
Ranked #2 of 28 Restaurants in Hill City
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, German
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Shreveport, Louisiana
“Great Steaks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Their homemade ranch dressing is the best we've ever had. My husband and I ordered the 9 oz. filets for dinner, and shared an order of spaetzle primavera. Finished off the meal by splitting an order of creme brûlée with strawberries. Everything was EXCELLENT! Our meal at Alpine Inn was better than we had at a nice steakhouse in Rapid City, and less than half the price. Was definitely worth the drive to Hill City after visiting Mt. Rushmore.

Visited April 2014

Rapid City, South Dakota
“enjoy lunch, skip dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Love luch at the Alpine, but dinner was very disappointing, especially with all the awards the chef has. Both of our "filet Mignon" had to be wrapped in bacon t prevent falling apart. The meat was tough and grisly. Even at 12 bucks it was not a good deal. Will return for lunch, but not dinner.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars
Rapid City, South Dakota
“European cuisine in America”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I have eaten here multiple times because I live in the area. But every time I leave the Alpine, in my mind I know I will come back again. They have a unique menu and their food is mouthwatering. They are known for their steak and dessert. In a German style setting, the Alpine gives a different but great experience. Their evening menu is composed of only two choices. Their simplicity wins every customers heart.The most popular of the two is the filet mignon with a wedge of lettuce and ranch dressing. By the way, it is the best ranch I have ever had in my life. I believe they make it themselves. Their steak is to die for!!! Not to mention they have a neat variety and selection of beer and wine. It is a classy yet casual environment. The waitresses all wear dresses or long skirts. It is a modest restaurant with exciting food. Great hospitality and low prices for the food you get. The décor is not like other restaurants. Like I said earlier, it has a German style. There are neat pictures on the walls and the ceiling is beautiful. It has dimmed lighting, but the rooms aren't dark. It gives the restaurant an antique feel. Lastly, I must comment on their rest rooms. As every one expects, the rest rooms are always clean and uniquely decorated. The Alpine Inn also serves as a B&B. In fact, it used to be the Harney Peak Hotel. So cool :)
Every thing about the Alpine Inn I love. I better stop or I will go all day.
Don't pass this place up. You WILL regret it. It is an amazing place.

• Visited January 2014
The Black Hills, South Dakota
“German Food for Lunch/Steak for Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

The Alpine Inn is a bit unique. Be sure to check their web site for hours and menu. Note that they are closed from 2:30-5:00 P.M. That means that those planning to eat dinner will all be seated at 5:00 P.M. In the tourist-heavy season, plan to be there by 4:30 if you want to be part of the first seating because there will be a long line waiting and the restaurant will fill to capacity. Even during tourist season you can only expect to wait 2-5 minutes after seating before your order is taken and the same wait before salad is served. Your meal will arrive by the time you finish your salad. The waitress will quickly return to see if the steak is cooked to taste. We have been eating here for years and have never had some of the negative experiences expressed by a few reviewers. The food is excellent, the price is very reasonable, and service is usually exceptional. It's one of the best places to eat in the central Black Hills area.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Pactola
Houston, Texas
“A Great Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

My wife and I visit the Black Hills every other year, and always bring firends with us. And we always make the Alpine Inn a place we stop for dinner. They have a wonderful business model with a simplified dinner menu with basically two options: salad, baked potato, bread, and either a six ounce or nine ounce steak. All the customer does it indicate a steak size and how he or she wants it cooked. The food is very tasy and the service is fast. One time we took a friend who was vegetarian and they had, what he claimed, was an excellent and filling pasta dish. Prices are ridiculoously low. We'll alsways go back when in the area.

• Visited September 2013