“Great place for lunch”

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Nice selection for lunch. Dinnertime they serve one thing, but lunch has a bigger variety. The food and the service is excellent! Don't miss it if you're visiting in Hill City at lunch time!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Everyone who lives in the Black Hills knows how delicious the food is at Alpine Inn! Their lunches include a good selection of German cuisine such as Reuben sandwiches, Weinerschnitzel, and potato salad. The evening menu is either a 6 or 9 oz. filet mignon, baked potato, Toast, and a lettuce wedge! Simple, but delicious! The dessert menu is worth the trip all by itself. I recommend the Apple Cheese Strudel or Bread Pudding!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Alpine Inn is known for its large filet/small filet dinner menu, but you have to stop by for lunch on any day you are in Hill City (Sonntag ruhetag) for lunch - my wife is a huge fan of the liverwurst sandwich, and I will usually have the special. On this last trip had the Wienerschnitzel and it was perfect with both types of kraut and a little potato salad.

Remember - no credit cards but there is an ATM in the lobby/bar.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

What a find. Having dinner at the Alpine Inn while I was nearby for a quick business trip really made me feel like I got to experience the area -- and the food was memorable and wonderful too.

I was skeptical of the food at first because of the price tag -- $12 for a 9 oz. filet plus salad and sides? And it's going to taste good? -- but the quality of filet and homemade salad dressing on the salad leave me wishing I could eat there all the time. I get why they have a limited dinner menu: the "big steak, little steak" option (as the locals fondly call it) is just so good, why deviate?

Note: They do offer a vegetarian option, which smelled wonderful as well. I wish I would have ordered one for the table to share just to try it, and I should have, given how affordable everything is.

I loved the atmosphere too. It's quaint, rustic, and cosy and makes you want to order an after-dinner cocktail and sit by the fire. We visited in the winter and loved the smell of firewood outside on the porch too. It was all topped off with genuine hospitality from the staff and owner, who took time to chat with us and answer our questions about the ghosts we heard inhabit the building. It made it fun! (And don't worry, nothing bad from the ghosts!)

I'm really glad I got to experience the Alpine Inn and consider it one of my favorite travel surprises.

1  Thank SaraZ23
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

After receiving a recommendation to eat here we decided to check the Internet for the menu. It was interesting to find that the dinner menu included only one choice.....filet mignon. We figured at that point, if there is only one choice they must do it right and right they did!! The food was amazing; the atmosphere was charming; and the German beer was awesome! We had excellent service and a great experience. The value was almost unbelievable! This is a must if you are traveling near Hill City, SD.

Been to Alpine Inn? Share your experiences!