“It's Okay”

Ranked #12 of 30 Restaurants in Hill City
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 13, 2014

We spend a fair amount of time in the Black Hills through the years and have never stopped at Horse Creek until recently when local friends suggested it for supper. We arrived after the main supper crowd had left so we were able to have easy conversation among ourselves and with the wait staff. I found the staff enjoyable and fast but than there were only a couple table still dining when we ordered. Our group all ordered the Prime Rib and several took advantage of soup over salad both of which were good but really seemed like something you might get at a local café. When the main course arrived it was hot with very well proportioned cuts of meat and good sized potatoes. I found the meat to be tender but just didn't have the flavor that I'm accustomed to yet I have to add that it was cooked to perfection. We passed on desert as the main course had done it's job and we were all well fed. We will give this restaurant another try when we return in a few months to see if I can rate them at excellent.

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at a B&B nearby this restaurant and it was recommended to us upon arrival. The place was not very busy and after reading some of the reviews I was wary. This place did not disappoint us.

The waitress was very friendly and the food was great. The prime rib was some of the best I have eaten. I also enjoyed the Beer Cheese Soup.

Thank you for making our 1st Anniversary Dinner great. We will definitely be returning.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Their specialty is prime rib and it's excellent. My daughter had the beer potato soup and loved it ( I tasted it and it was very good), I had the salad and it was OK. But the prime rib - wow - it was huge, cooked perfectly and very tender. Service was prompt and friendly. Décor is somewhat dated but who cares when you taste the prime rib.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

We had passed the Horse Creek Inn every day we were in the Black Hills area and it seemed like nothing special. Boy were we wrong! Since it was close to our cabin, we chose to eat there on our last night in the area. My son and I ordered Prime Rib and we both agreed that it was the best Prime Rib we'd ever eaten. My wife had a Garlic Chicken dish that she also enjoyed. Service was exceptional. For such good food, pricing was very reasonable. Highly recommended!

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We were referred here for our first night in South Dakota. The special was prime rib, so of course we both ordered it. It was around eight so the restaurant was almost empty. The platter, yes platter, of prime rib was HUGE! It was cooked perfectly and so tender the knife was ornamental. Very pleased with the experience. The atmosphere was ordinary, but they sure know how to cook their steaks, and I'm a wee bit of a red meat snob!