“Steak, steak, and more steak”

Horse Creek Inn Restaurant & Campground
Ranked #13 of 30 Restaurants in Hill City
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Only open 4-9pm and down the road from our B&B, this place was an obvious choice to stop for dinner. We had the filet mignon and prime rib. Our waitress asked how we would like the prime rib cooked, which is odd since most prime rib is served medium rare.

Finding a good place to eat in this area is difficult. Most places have average service and average food. Horse Creek Inn ranks slightly above average compared to other local restaurants.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

The Horse Creek Inn was recommended to us by the proprietors of the Summer Creek Inn, and we could not have been more pleased with the friendly service and excellent food.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I have been frequenting HCIR for years. I have seen owners change and service change. One thing I will tell all "trip advisor" shoppers is that you will walk away full in your belly, a little cash left in your pocket but most of all happy you made the trip and stop. The staff and owners are very accommodating and welcoming. The food is well prepared and to your liking, all you have to do is ask! I recommend Horse Creek Inn to everyone I know! ENJOY!

1  Thank R15SDLocal
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Long story short: overpriced, over promised and under delivered, not newly renovated in 2011 as website states, grossly outdated and dirty. Duct tape fixes, mismatched room decor, no doors on the bedrooms, and 3 bedroom cabin really means 2 open rooms with a curtain divider. Paper thin towels the size as bath mats and the main door wouldn't unlock and the sliding door wouldn't lock. Owner didn't even apologize and rolled his eyes when we asked him to fix for safety. Also had to pay $50 cleaning fee AND had to clean the cabin before we left or would be charged additional cleaning fee. I cried myself to sleep the first night because I was do disappointed. Website is deceiving!!!!

2  Thank SD_girl_2486
MarkR_HorseCreek, Owner at Horse Creek Inn Restaurant & Campground, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

We are sad that we did not meet this customer's expectations. Things break, and I replaced the front door lock within 15 minutes of being made aware of the problem. Perhaps the reviewer was not present when I apologized for the inconvenience - which I did at least 3 times. We admit to the "Red Green" fix on a refrigerator door handle that was broken by a previous guest. We have been searching for the replacement parts needed and hope to have this resolved soon. The reviewer apparently misunderstood our cleaning policy as we do NOT require guests to clean the cabin. We do, however, ask that the dishes we provide be clean upon departure.

We provide clean, comfortable cabins in a beautiful setting. If there was an oversight in cabin preparation for this guest, it was never brought to our attention. We have staff available 24/7 to correct any oversight. We were never told of their dissatisfaction and were surprised by this review.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We discovered the bacon wrapped chicken liver appetizers several years ago. I was reluctant to try them at first, but now they are a craving. They are still delicious and arrive with carrots, celery & olives. There were 4 of us and our entrees of prime rib, shrimp and wedge salad with grilled chicken were all good, the beer cheese soup ok. The restaurant was very busy on a Friday night.

1  Thank Lorhs