“Best Steaks in South Dakota”

Horse Creek Inn Restaurant & Campground
Ranked #14 of 29 Restaurants in Hill City
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I have been frequenting HCIR for years. I have seen owners change and service change. One thing I will tell all "trip advisor" shoppers is that you will walk away full in your belly, a little cash left in your pocket but most of all happy you made the trip and stop. The staff and owners are very accommodating and welcoming. The food is well prepared and to your liking, all you have to do is ask! I recommend Horse Creek Inn to everyone I know! ENJOY!

1  Thank R15SDLocal

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Long story short: overpriced, over promised and under delivered, not newly renovated in 2011 as website states, grossly outdated and dirty. Duct tape fixes, mismatched room decor, no doors on the bedrooms, and 3 bedroom cabin really means 2 open rooms with a curtain divider. Paper thin towels the size as bath mats and the main door wouldn't unlock and the sliding door wouldn't lock. Owner didn't even apologize and rolled his eyes when we asked him to fix for safety. Also had to pay $50 cleaning fee AND had to clean the cabin before we left or would be charged additional cleaning fee. I cried myself to sleep the first night because I was do disappointed. Website is deceiving!!!!

2  Thank SD_girl_2486
MarkR_HorseCreek, Owner at Horse Creek Inn Restaurant & Campground, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

We are sad that we did not meet this customer's expectations. Things break, and I replaced the front door lock within 15 minutes of being made aware of the problem. Perhaps the reviewer was not present when I apologized for the inconvenience - which I did at least 3 times. We admit to the "Red Green" fix on a refrigerator door handle that was broken by a previous guest. We have been searching for the replacement parts needed and hope to have this resolved soon. The reviewer apparently misunderstood our cleaning policy as we do NOT require guests to clean the cabin. We do, however, ask that the dishes we provide be clean upon departure.

We provide clean, comfortable cabins in a beautiful setting. If there was an oversight in cabin preparation for this guest, it was never brought to our attention. We have staff available 24/7 to correct any oversight. We were never told of their dissatisfaction and were surprised by this review.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We discovered the bacon wrapped chicken liver appetizers several years ago. I was reluctant to try them at first, but now they are a craving. They are still delicious and arrive with carrots, celery & olives. There were 4 of us and our entrees of prime rib, shrimp and wedge salad with grilled chicken were all good, the beer cheese soup ok. The restaurant was very busy on a Friday night.

1  Thank Lorhs
Reviewed May 1, 2013

15 of us met to enjoy a nice evening. Instead of our server starting with a pleasant introduction of his name, he rudely announced that if there were any separate checks, that we would need to be seated next to that person.(I have been a server & that is not a tough thing to figure out. Wouldn't dream of demanding that!) He never did get anything right. Blah salad, soggy baked potato with a steam table flavor, & no sense of presentation. Funny that my meal was served on a sizzler platter & was so cold that a film had formed on the gravy. The clencher was the beef tournedos. Described on the menu "with crab meat" and substituted with IMITATION CRAB!!! Is that really even legal???

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had a table by the fireplace and a window to see the beautiful surroundings. The food was delicious! The best garlic mashed potatoes ever!!