“Love all but the price!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hill City
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Hill City
“Love all but the price!”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

This is an excellent facility. The staff was very helpful and we were happy with all the amenities. It is just the high price that put us off. Not sure we would stay again because of that fact.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank shar0173

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Ramona, California
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Traveling with my family on vacation. We planned on stopping at Mnt Rushmore/Crazy Horse. Thought we would be tjhere 1 day. turned into 5 days. Bill at the front desk "moved" things around for us so we could extend our stay while at the same time makeing sure no other guest were penalized. The hotel was wonderfull great staff, it is true the breakfast room is small, But dont hold that against them. The one thing i did enjoy was being from a big city all my life we did get to here the 1880 locomotive go right by the hotel and got to hear the wonderfull sound of the whistle blowing..
Yes you heard it at 7:30 am and 8:45pm at night but dont care who you are, there is something about the sound of a old style train whistle that brings a lil kid out in you.

1 Thank Herbert D
hiehillcity, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hill City, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Herbert D - I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Hill City Holiday Inn Express. I am always happy to hear how well my staff has accommodated each guest. I am glad we were able to extend your stay without disrupting any other guest reservations. The 1880 Train is a huge hit in Hill City and I am sure they will be glad to hear how much you enjoyed it. Thank you again.
Clinton, Iowa
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Stayed with the family for several nights on our vacation to Mt. Rushmore. Clean rooms, friendly staff, and a good location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Jeff R - I am pleased to hear you were happy while staying at the Hill City Holiday Inn Express. I will relay your kind words to all my staff. I do hope you continue staying with Holiday Inn Express for all your business and personal travel needs.
Ashland, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I've stayed at other hotels in this chain before and have enjoyed them. I did not enjoy my stay here.

The room: this is an ordinary hotel room which has been upgraded to include some nice touches like granite counters in the bathroom, but it was not spotlessly clean. In fact, when we arrived there were rotting vegetables in the fridge. Yuck! And I was not pleased to find only 3 bath towels in the room when we arrived (especially since I had to provide the number of guests when I made my reservation) and even less pleased the second night when I found only 3 towels in the room again. That mistake should not be made a second time after a guest has complained once.

The breakfast is advertised as a "hot" breakfast. For those who also stay in any of the Marriott brand hotels, the Holiday Inn "hot" breakfast is billed as merely a "continental" breakfast there. Some warmed up, previously frozen omelets and a waffle maker does not a hot breakfast make, in my opinion.

The food was truly awful and it's hard to mess up a breakfast like this one. The previously mentioned omelets were filled with some unrecognizable lumpy pink goo (and were cut in half). The yogurt was inedible, and I love yogurt and, until now, would have gladly eaten any type and brand. The kids actually spit out the orange juice which had been cut with so much water that it wasn't even the right color, and the coffee was undrinkable. I was offended that the bananas were also cut in half (and browning). For nearly $170/night I think I'd paid for a whole banana.

The staff was unfriendly. I walked by the front desk twice to overhear a staff member berating a customer over the phone. Once I stopped at the desk to ask a question and could hear the staff member behind the wall loudly describing his surgical wound to someone else, but he seemed oblivious to the fact that I was there waiting and there was no bell to call him.

The laundry facilities were inadequate. There were only 2 washers and 2 dryers for a fairly large hotel, and they charged $2/load for each. It took 2 cycles -- so $4 -- to dry an averaged-sized load. This felt like gouging to me.

I don't know if there are any better accommodations in the area, but I might be willing to find out.

Eohippus -

Thank you for your recent review of the Hill City Holiday Inn Express. I am sorry if you found any of your stay to be unsatisfactory. I realize there are always areas for improvement and work with my staff daily to address all issues any guest might bring to me. Thank you again for taking the time to review your recent stay,
San Jose, CA
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Typical HI Express visit. Clean, comfortable. Breakfast room is small, so either get there early or snag the picnic table outside, or ask for a tray. They have them, just not out because space is a premium. Used the laundry facilities this trip. Drier takes a bit of time. If you can't get a spot here (as they seem to have a high occupancy rate) there is another in the town of Custer (didn't stay there).

Room Tip: Top floor would be ideal. Our neighbors on the last night had demon kids running amuck. There is mor...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank munge
Munge - Thank you for your review. I have taken the time to address the issues with the dryer and have had it adjusted accordingly. I am glad you were overall satisfied with the other facilities we have here at the Hill City Holiday Inn Express.
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stayed here overnight for a trip to Mt. Rushmore. We arrived between 10 and 11pm. No one was at the front desk. I called "hello" and waited for a few moments and ended up calling the hotel from my cell phone to alert someone to my arrival. After the phone rang for a bit, a front desk agent appeared and checked us in. However, with it being late, we being tired, and having no one to welcome and check us in, it wasn't a great first impression.

The room was clean and the beds comfortable. The shower pressure was nice. They provide breakfast in the morning. The location is convenient and only about 15 minutes from Mt. Rushmore.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sc00p - I would like to personally thank you for staying at the Hill City Holiday Inn Express and would like to thank you for all of your insight and comments. I have addressed the area of concerns that you brought to my attention. I am glad that the double pillow top mattresses were comfortable and the location was convenient.
bromsgrove
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Excellent hotel, Hill City is a delightful town not too far from Mt Rushmore.

Hotel staff were friendly, beds comfortable. The only minus was the breakfast room is very small to accommodate all the guests. The first morning we had to wait about 15 minutes until we got a table for breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pauline c
PaulineC - Thank you for your recent review of the Hill City Holiday Inn Express. I am pleased to hear you have a delightful stay. I hope that you continue staying at Expresses throughout your travels.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hill City
Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites
Lodge at Palmer Gulch
Lodge at Palmer Gulch
#11 of 12 in Hill City

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hill City? Share your experiences!