“Not my favorite Holiday Inn Express”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hill City
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Hill City
Ashland, Massachusetts
“Not my favorite Holiday Inn Express”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

I've stayed at other hotels in this chain before and have enjoyed them. I did not enjoy my stay here.

The room: this is an ordinary hotel room which has been upgraded to include some nice touches like granite counters in the bathroom, but it was not spotlessly clean. In fact, when we arrived there were rotting vegetables in the fridge. Yuck! And I was not pleased to find only 3 bath towels in the room when we arrived (especially since I had to provide the number of guests when I made my reservation) and even less pleased the second night when I found only 3 towels in the room again. That mistake should not be made a second time after a guest has complained once.

The breakfast is advertised as a "hot" breakfast. For those who also stay in any of the Marriott brand hotels, the Holiday Inn "hot" breakfast is billed as merely a "continental" breakfast there. Some warmed up, previously frozen omelets and a waffle maker does not a hot breakfast make, in my opinion.

The food was truly awful and it's hard to mess up a breakfast like this one. The previously mentioned omelets were filled with some unrecognizable lumpy pink goo (and were cut in half). The yogurt was inedible, and I love yogurt and, until now, would have gladly eaten any type and brand. The kids actually spit out the orange juice which had been cut with so much water that it wasn't even the right color, and the coffee was undrinkable. I was offended that the bananas were also cut in half (and browning). For nearly $170/night I think I'd paid for a whole banana.

The staff was unfriendly. I walked by the front desk twice to overhear a staff member berating a customer over the phone. Once I stopped at the desk to ask a question and could hear the staff member behind the wall loudly describing his surgical wound to someone else, but he seemed oblivious to the fact that I was there waiting and there was no bell to call him.

The laundry facilities were inadequate. There were only 2 washers and 2 dryers for a fairly large hotel, and they charged $2/load for each. It took 2 cycles -- so $4 -- to dry an averaged-sized load. This felt like gouging to me.

I don't know if there are any better accommodations in the area, but I might be willing to find out.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
hiehillcity, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hill City, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Eohippus -

Thank you for your recent review of the Hill City Holiday Inn Express. I am sorry if you found any of your stay to be unsatisfactory. I realize there are always areas for improvement and work with my staff daily to address all issues any guest might bring to me. Thank you again for taking the time to review your recent stay,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
San Jose, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

Typical HI Express visit. Clean, comfortable. Breakfast room is small, so either get there early or snag the picnic table outside, or ask for a tray. They have them, just not out because space is a premium. Used the laundry facilities this trip. Drier takes a bit of time. If you can't get a spot here (as they seem to have a high occupancy rate) there is another in the town of Custer (didn't stay there).

Room Tip: Top floor would be ideal. Our neighbors on the last night had demon kids running amuck. There is mor...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank munge
Munge - Thank you for your review. I have taken the time to address the issues with the dryer and have had it adjusted accordingly. I am glad you were overall satisfied with the other facilities we have here at the Hill City Holiday Inn Express.
South Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stayed here overnight for a trip to Mt. Rushmore. We arrived between 10 and 11pm. No one was at the front desk. I called "hello" and waited for a few moments and ended up calling the hotel from my cell phone to alert someone to my arrival. After the phone rang for a bit, a front desk agent appeared and checked us in. However, with it being late, we being tired, and having no one to welcome and check us in, it wasn't a great first impression.

The room was clean and the beds comfortable. The shower pressure was nice. They provide breakfast in the morning. The location is convenient and only about 15 minutes from Mt. Rushmore.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sc00p - I would like to personally thank you for staying at the Hill City Holiday Inn Express and would like to thank you for all of your insight and comments. I have addressed the area of concerns that you brought to my attention. I am glad that the double pillow top mattresses were comfortable and the location was convenient.
bromsgrove
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

Excellent hotel, Hill City is a delightful town not too far from Mt Rushmore.

Hotel staff were friendly, beds comfortable. The only minus was the breakfast room is very small to accommodate all the guests. The first morning we had to wait about 15 minutes until we got a table for breakfast.

1 Thank pauline c
PaulineC - Thank you for your recent review of the Hill City Holiday Inn Express. I am pleased to hear you have a delightful stay. I hope that you continue staying at Expresses throughout your travels.
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

We thought that the location was very good, centrally located in the Rushmore area near downtown Hill City. The staff was friendly but not very knowledgeable about the area. (use Tripadvisor instead) overall I'd say that it was a good value and worth considering.

• Stayed June 2012
Need Sun 93 - Thank you for your comments of concern regarding your recent stay at the Hill City Holiday Inn Express. I have taken time to familiarize my staff with more local attractions. We welcome all comments and suggestions. Thank you again.
Basehor, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

This is a great hotel to stay at when visiting Mt Rushmore. Very clean, friendly staff. Free breakfast in the morning is a nice perk. When visiting Mt Rushmore, Hill city is the better place to
to avoid the tourist trap area of Keystone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Begbie1 - Thank you for your recent review of the Hill Cit y Holiday Inn Express. I am pleased to read that you were satisfied with the Hotel and staff.
Orlando
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

Hill City is a nice little place with some good restaurants. Much nicer and less tourist trap than Keystone, with only a slightly longer drive to Mt. Rushmore. Hotel was nice an quiet and better rates for what you get in Keystone. Better than average breakfast great cinnamon rolls! My Parents are visiting there in July and I am insisting they check out this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank DanoOrlando
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hill City, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
We appreciate your kind words regarding the Hill City Holiday Inn Express. I also want to personally thank you for your positive feedback and recommendation to your friends and family. The Holiday Inn Express cinnamon rolls are a delicious part of our full hot breakfast and can be found at all Holiday Inn Express Hotels.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hill City
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Keystone
Roosevelt Inn
Roosevelt Inn
#5 of 14 in Keystone

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hill City? Share your experiences!