“Fun experience, yummy!”

Prairie Berry Winery
Ranked #1 of 27 things to do in Hill City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Experience our award-winning wines in a fun and relaxed setting in the heart of the Black Hills. Find us three miles northwest of Hill City on Highway 385, just a few miles from Mount Rushmore National Memorial and Crazy Horse Memorial. We’re Hill City’s only working winery and Sandi Vojta, our fifth generation winemaker, handcrafts each wine, often using old family recipes, just a few steps from our Tasting Room. Start your Prairie Berry Winery experience with a free wine tasting of up to five of our award-winning wines, including our Anna Pesa handcrafted traditional European wines, at our Tasting Bars. We produce a variety of wines in styles for every palate – from crisp, dry wines and robust, oak-aged reds to sweet, fruity varieties. Our Kitchen offers housemade menu items including gluten-free, vegetarian and kids’ options. Menu selections pair perfectly with our wines, vary with the season and many of our ingredients are sourced locally. Enjoy a meal on our patio with our beautiful views of Black Elk Peak (formerly Harney Peak). Our brewery, Miner Brewing Company, is located next door.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I really enjoyed Prairie Berry Winery, as husband and friends. We stopped on the recommendation of a local liquor store - they told us they bottle their own wine, one of the few in the area. The varieties of grape vs. fruit based wines was perfect for all types of wine drinkers. The winery offers free tasting for up to five varieties per person; the staff was friendly and great at explaining the wines.

After sipping, we picked up a bottle of the Red As s Rhubarb and the Apricot wine, along with some delicious "Kick-as s Compote" a yummy fruit/chili spread that was delicious on pretzels and would be outstanding on crackers with cream cheese. They also had a honey-mustard spread that was to die for!

The building and grounds are clean and inviting. Our "server" at the wine-tasting bar was informative and friendly answering all of our questions.

A fun place to visit!

in 5 reviews
"fun place to visit"
"bought bottles"

Reviewed September 27, 2013

My wife and I were hungry, saw a sign for this winery, decided to stop. Glad we did. We had sandwiches to eat, which were very good. We ate on the patio, which offered a beautiful view. Our server was very friendly and efficient. The building is very nicely designed, outside and inside.The grounds are beautifully landscaped. My wife and I are not drinkers, but if you are, there are many types of wine to sample. A great stop.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I really enjoyed Prairie Berry Winery as did my non-wino husband. The varieties of grape vs. fruit based wines was perfect for all types of wine drinkers. The winery offers free tasting for up to five varietals per person; the staff was friendly and great at explaining the wines. After sipping, we strolled around the shop to pick up a few bottles of our favorites. I was bummed we had just eaten lunch as the restaurant and other snacks available at the winery looked really delicious; not to mention that the outdoor patio was really charming.

I'll definitely be back to Prairie Berry Winery. The building and grounds are gorgeous and that coupled with the non-threatening nature of the facility would put any visitor at ease.

Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

We stopped at Prairie Berry because of the billboard ad.The thought of rhubarb wine sounded good. There is an extensive menu to choose from, very well labeled as to the different types of wine. They were very knowledgable and helpful. I tried 5 different wines- rhubarb was my favorite