“Pretty good”
Review of Slate Creek Grille

Slate Creek Grille
Ranked #12 of 29 Restaurants in Hill City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Ate here for an early dinner. Was pretty good. Homemade chips were tasty. Also had a bison/elk burger that was good.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stopped here after visiting Mt Rushmore based on a friend's suggestion. It wasn't on my list of places to stop for lunch but I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and service. The waitress was very attentive and polite. We sat in the bar area which we were the only ones besides someone playing pool around 1 (regular seating had people but we choose the other side.) Our friend ordered the club and homemade chips, while my husband ordered the Bulk Buffalo/Elk Burger with fries and I ordered a buffalo burger. You are able to select additional burger toppings besides the standard lettuce, tomato, and pickle. I choose swiss cheese and grilled onions. The burger was grilled to perfection and tasted fresh. Service was great like I said and I would recommended stopping!

Reviewed May 20, 2014

I had several dinner restaurants on my list while in the Black Hills area and this was one that I could have passed on. The restaurant is divided into a bar area and a very casual dining area. The bar area was very nothing and the dining area was very dated. The clientele that were there told everything. A family with a child thought they were at home by letting the child run around as they did their thing. One guy in a fishermen outfit was loud and obnoxious as if he owned the place. Food we ordered was ok and nothing to come back to as well as the service. There are much better choices in the area for dinner.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

Our experience at the Slate Creek, wasn't bad but wasn't anything to recommend either. The eggs ordered as over easy came with runny whites. When this was pointed out to the server, he seemed confused as to what to do, although he finally did replaced them and they came back satisfactory. The country fried stake was a bit on the smallish side (for country fried steak), but wasn't bad for a place that far north.The pancakes were light and fluffy, but the syrup was food service variety. They were advertising a Sunday brunch which we because it looked rather mediocre, almost at the level of a motel breakfast.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

So why was the whole town waiting for hours for a seat at The Alpine Inn while the Slate Creek Grille was almost empty on a beautiful Saturday evening in Hill City, SD? A clean exterior hides a shabby interior, with worn out booths. Also, prices were at least as high for comparable menu items at Alpine. In fact, if our party of four backpackers were willing to wait out the prom-night crowds, we would have walked out of Slate Creek Grille. We were rewarded for our laziness, however, with a knowledgeable and courteous server and food that was quite good. Three of us had the prime rib special, which was perfectly cooked, and our fourth had the one-of-kind "bulk" burger (buffalo and elk). This was also tasty. Perhaps the tourist season brings in enough customers that an interior upgrade is not needed to fill those dumpy booths, but I would love to have dinner in a freshly painted new dining area at the Slate Creek Grille when we visit again next year.