Horse Thief Campground and RV Resort
Best Western Golden Spike Inn & Suites(Hill City)(Great Value!)
$165
$149
Comfort Inn & Suites(Hill City)(Great Value!)
$142
$124
$170
$153
HIExpress.com
Quality Inn(Hill City)(Great Value!)
$219
$134
Travelocity
Harney Peak Inn(Hill City)(Great Value!)
$139
$100
Spring Creek Inn(Hill City)(Great Value!)
$95
Lantern Inn(Hill City)(Great Value!)
$105
Travelocity
$105
All reviewsbath housesylvan lakecuster state parkcrazy horseheated poolgemstone miningneedles highwayblack hillscamp groundtent sitesgeneral storecamp storebathrooms were cleanmount rushmoresmall storeplenty of hot waterwashers and dryers
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed at the Horsethief during the 2012 Sturgis Rally Week and had a wonderful experience!
Very well kept, clean, and friendly owners as well as respectful fellow campers. We would stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Chloe10NE_28
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Our trip to South Dakota was a last minute change in plans...we had no idea what to expect or what we would experience. We are Canadian and simply googled possible campsites around Mount Rushmore, not knowing the area or history. Horse Thief Campground received good reviews, so we set their address into our GPS and were on our way. Our campsite was in the perfect spot...beautiful view of the mountains. Every single day of our stay, the staff in the office was MORE than friendly and accommodating. I am not a hardcore camper...I appreciate a clean washroom and facilities....the Horse Thief had it all and more. The shower room was always clean, well stocked, had more than enough hot water and smelled fresh. The other guests there were friendly, respectful and very quiet...even those attending the bike rally. The laundry facilities were awesome and immaculate. I can't say enough positive things about our experience. The staff answered any questions we had and even helped us out when our car broke down and had to be towed to a local mechanic's to be fixed. If we ever get back down to South Dakota, I would definitely stay at this campground again. I highly, HIGHLY recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Beachbaby33
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We visited July 24-29, 2012. Loved the place. Easy to check in and out. Easy to set up camp. The place was clean. Everyone we met were all nice. Clean laundry room if you needed.
This place was not far from town- Hill City, but off the main road to feel like you were camping in the Hills. Lots of trees. Grass. We had our camper, truck, and motorcycle and had plenty of space on our "campsite".
This campground has cabins and places to set up tents. We did not look into the cabins, but they looked nice.
We did not use the pool, but the people who did appeared to enjoy it. We did not check out the showers as we had one in our camper, but did not hear anyone complain it wasn't clean.
The main store/office had coffee and juice and the newspaper. And a nice deck out front if you wanted to sit and relax. They had a collection of DVDs if you wanted to rent. They seemed to have lots of provisions if you needed extra milk, butter, eggs, etc. They had t-shirts, sweatshirts, postcards, and other stuff.
There was a burning ban when we were staying in the Hills, d/t drought, so we could not have a campfire, but that was no big deal. We respect that there will be times you can't have a fire. We had a propane grill we could use.
It rained hard one night and d/t the nature of the path of water, some campsites had mud/rocks wash past them, but from what I could see, the owners took care to fix the problem immediately.
This place is the only place my husband and I will stay at from now on. As I said, it is close to everything, and secluded, yet no bad curvy roads to worry about taking your camper on and NO tunnels to worry about either. We had the best of all worlds right here. We were able to go out and sight see and hit all the roads to anywhere right from here.
We LOVED it!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Angela S
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My wife and I have been coming to Horse Thief Campground for 4 years. It is our favorite place to spend our Sturgis Rally vacation. Paul,Julie, and Rich go out of their way to make our camping experience enjoyable. It is nice to be able to tuck up in the Hills and not have to listen to the rumble of the harleys all night. I was able to use my cell phone and laptop computer from the kitchen table of our motor home for an important business meeting I was required to attend. We have become good friends with other people who were camping by us and plan to get together in the same spot next year. It is not unusual to see deer near the campsite towards evening. We were there for 8 days this year and even during the rally never were bothered by noisy neighbors. The showers were always warm and clean. I never had to
wait for more than 5 minutes to get into a shower. I have been camping in tents, trailers, motor homes, in many campgrounds for many years, the owners of this camp ground really want and work hard to make your experience at Horse Thief pleasant and enjoyable. Thank you Paul, Julie, and Rich for another great year!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Rick H
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This was our third year to stay. As usual we had a great time in the hills. Our Thanks to the owners and staff of Horse Thief for our enjoyable stay. They are always there to help and to ensure your stay is a pleasant one.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family