“Best trip ever!”

and up
Discover Rock Climbing Adventure
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Don't let you Black Hills vacation be boring. Go rock climbing with us! Adventures for ages 5+(with a participating adult). No experience needed. All rock climbing gear is supplied. Join us at Custer State Park, South Dakota. Call for a reservation and we will meet you at Sylvan Lake for your guided rock climbing tour. Locations at Mount Rushmore and Devils Tower, WY for more experienced climbers. Please reserve as far in advance as possible so that we can best plan to serve you.
“Best trip ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

My buddy and I have climbed a fair amout but with two days to climb our best choice was to hire a guide.
I was very impressed and very pleased with our experience. My first conversations with you on the phone impressed me that I had made the right call and the time we spent there exceeded our expectations. Our guide Cheyenne was great fun, clearly very knowledgeable and his selection of climbs were perfect choices for us. The check out climbs in the needles were a great event all on their own. Devils tower was definitely a "full on" event but we enjoyed every minute in a "type 2" fun way! Our choice of El Cracko was a perfect classic tower climb for us and I think fun for Cheyenne.

Evanston, Illinois
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“The Best Part of Our Trip to the Black Hills”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

My son and I booked a day of rock climbing with Sylvan Rocks at Sylvan Lake in Custer State Park. We spent the morning learning the basics with Michael -- a consummate professional and expert climber who had us climbing and rappelling in a matter of hours. In the afternoon, we climbed a 100+ foot spire, and rappelled down, with Michael's patient guidance and encouragement. As other reviewers have noted, at no point did I feel unsafe. In fact, Michael's focus on safety was evident in every action he took while we were climbing.

This was not a cheap day, but was the highlight of our trip to the Black Hills and was worth every penny. We spent the day with a really interesting guy who enthusiastically shared his love of climbing, and challenged ourselves physically and mentally. And we did it in one of the most beautiful spots in the entire country. Get out of the casino in Deadwood, or the lines at Mount Rushmore, and climb some rocks with Sylvan Rocks.

We often come through South Dakota on our way west. We have added rock climbing with Sylvan Rocks to our "must-do" activities in the Black Hills. See you guys next year!

Visited June 2014
Buffalo, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Excellent and Knowledgable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

We just returned from a recent climbing vacation out at the needles. We had never been before so we decided to hire a guide. We don't regret it. The guide we had was named Chris. He was excellent, polite, knowledgeable, and at no time did I feel unsafe with him , even a top some of the taller rocks. If you're going to climb at the needles, beginner or pro and want a guide. I really suggest these guys!

“Climb With These Guys!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

Just spent two days with Cheyenne Chaffee. Got everything I wanted and more. Cheyenne was a true professional - outstanding technical knowledge, uber safe in all aspects, personable, and a great coach. I am already planning to come back with my two sons and do it again!

“Incredible adventure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

This is an incredible way to see some of the best the Black Hills has to offer! The Sylvan Rocks team could not have made the day any better. It's a great adventure that we highly recommend!

Visited June 2014