“Second Time Climbing with Sylvan Rocks”

Sylvan Rocks Climbing School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Don't let you Black Hills vacation be boring. Go rock climbing with us! Adventures for ages 5+(with a participating adult). No experience needed. All rock climbing gear is supplied. Join us at Custer State Park, South Dakota. Call for a reservation and we will meet you at Sylvan Lake for your guided rock climbing tour. Locations at Mount Rushmore and Devils Tower, WY for more experienced climbers. Please reserve as far in advance as possible so that we can best plan to serve you.
Flushing, Michigan
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Second Time Climbing with Sylvan Rocks”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Returned to SD to climb with Sylvan Rocks and had another great experience. Spud led us on 3 climbs (2 short ones and then the primary climb, aquarius) and was a great guide just like last year. While it is not cheap to do this I feel it is worth the money and the guide is dedicated to you only so you get a chance to understand how and why you do the things that you do while climbing. My son is already talking about what climb he wants to do next year.

Northern Illinois
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Gotta Do It!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

No ifs, ands, or buts about it, this is a must-do family activity. I encourage any family to book a private 6-hour climb; you will get your money's worth. You'll get some private time and attention on the training rocks before heading off to some more adventurous climbs. My family of eight (ages 11-60) had a blast - even those who were too afraid to climb the big one all the way to the top. Even the two old fogies who sat out due to physical limitations came long to take pictures/video and had a blast.

Our guides, Cheyenne and Chris, were total pros and really made the experience worth it. They quickly assess your attitude, skills, and comfort zone. They know exactly when to encourage, when to push, when to give a tip or let you figure it out, and when to take it easy on you (aka be patient). Our group had two girls that wanted to do it all, and three boys who seemed to scare before they even got two feet off the ground.

All you need to do is show up with a positive attitude and a willingness to climb outside of your comfort zone (pun intended). Sylvan Rocks supplies the rest.

On a side note, none of our family had any climbing experience; we were total untrained novices. Feel free to be creative with your nicknames; it simply adds to the fun. I'm sure Chris and Cheyenne will never forget the group comprised of Lord Looney, Admiral Anarchy, Captain Chaos, Flaming Bubble, Dumbo, Diamond Dude, The Grandma, and The Wallet.

Visited June 2013
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
“Great Climbing!”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Thanks again for a great day of climbing! Our guide was awesome and got us up some routes perfect for our abilities. This area is one of my favorite places to climb! Looking forward to returning again!

15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Wonderful adventure”
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband and daughter took several trips up the rocks. Found it enjoyable to sit and watch all the new climbers. The patience of the climbing guides was pretty great, as there was a large group. The guides were an encouraging bunch, they really made the experience.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Fun for Five”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family of 5, (My wife and I are 38, our three sons are 14,11,and 5) met Chris and Lindsey for the "Discover Climbing" course at Sylvan Lake this past week. In no time, we were all bouldering and smearing our way up the 50 ft. practice rock. I was thoroughly impressed with the patient/pragmatic/professional approach that our guides took with the variety of ages/skill levels within our group. My two older boys and I ventured on with Chris that afternoon to tackle Aquarium Rock, a 200+ ft. ascent - and had a BLAST. Make Sylvan Rocks a "must-do" on your next trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota!

Visited July 2013
Stisser, Owner at Sylvan Rocks Climbing School, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Chris has worked for Sylvan Rocks more years then any of us. Over those many seasons, he has leaned how to do a great job teaching and challenging folks to enjoy the vertical world. We can't thank him enough for continuing to share that passion. While Ms. Lindsay has not been with us quite as many seasons...she is and will most likely always be known as the Queen of Practice Rock! Glad to hear you had a great time. I'll be sure to let them both know that your crew had fun!