“A Great Dining Experience”

Desperados Cowboy Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 30 Restaurants in Hill City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 18, 2014

From the moment we entered you can tell it was going to be a good evening dinner outing. Danny the owner immediately greeted us and made us feel welcomed. We were seated immediately and didn't wait very long for our server to show. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable of all the menu items. I decided to have their special which was the buffalo roast which was excellent. My wife had the chicken which also was very good. If you decide to opt for a dinner salad definitely ask for their homemade prairie dressing. Out of this world. It's too bad they don't bottle it for sale. Although the place has wood everywhere, booths are very private and comfortable. The restaurant is only open for dinner at 5:00 pm seven days a week.

1  Thank BuckeyeTraveler68

Reviewed May 18, 2014

My son took me to Desperados for lunch on Mother's Day and it was not a disappointment! The day was cold, rainy and windy but the warm atmosphere, great food and very friendly staff made up for it! The charm and quality of this restaurant will make me come back again and again!

1  Thank Christi F
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I had the Porterhouse pork chop. It was cooked perfectly and it was tender. It could've used a little more seasoning, but that is my personal preference. The chutney served with it was very good.

For dessert there is a new French Silk Pie on the menu. One expects this dessert to be sickeningly sweet, however, I found the opposite. The crust was salty, which I adored, although it could have been darker, again, my personal preference. The whipped topping portion of the pie had sour tones, almost as if it was made with sour cream, or buttermilk (or both). It was absolutely delicious.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

Desperados is located in the heart of the small town of Hill City, SD. We were greeted and seated by Dan (owner) and immediately felt welcomed. It’s a small restaurant that serves local steaks and Buffalo and more all among a setting of local cowboy charm. If you go, notice the boot on the string by the front door. The staff was very attentive and the food was very good. They do serve beer and wine but no spirits. We will return and I would recommend them heartily to everyone.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

We came in when they just opened, we were seated right away by the host. The waitress wouldn't come over to us, she was just standing there staring so I waved her over. I was starving and I'm hypoglycemic. She was very irritated at me for waving her over and the whole time barely waited on us. I had to ask her if she was going to take our order! She was so unfriendly I worried she would do something to our food but I was very hungry and had to eat something before I past out. The food wasn't that good and we asked for separate order tickets and when it came time to pay, they were all together! Very disappointed in this restaurant and it was not a fun experience, will not eat there again.

1  Thank T G