“Good by Black Hills standards”

Desperados Cowboy Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 29 Restaurants in Hill City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Visited for supper in the middle of peak season with a group of 12. We had advance reservations; the table was ready when we arrived and service was very good for a group our size. Menu selection was fairly good and I believe everyone was reasonably happy with their meals. My wife was looking forward to a rum and coke and was disappointed that they only offer beer and wine; to make matters worse, they were out of a couple of the local craft brews that we then tried to order. The bison pot roast was quite good (not at all dry as is sometimes the problem with bison), but I am still waiting for my life to change as promised on the menu. Those who ordered fish were happy - that's always a sign of a good chef. The building is interesting - an authentic old log structure. The Black Hills doesn't offer a wide selection of dining options, but compared to what's available, this place is good - I would recommend it.

There are newer reviews for Desperados Cowboy Restaurant

Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We were here on 7/19/13 for lunch. Cute place. Waited a little bit for hostess to seat us. We had buffalo burgers which were ok. Let me tell you the bread pudding was out of this world! We all said we would go back for just the bread pudding.

Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We ate at this place last night as our last night I'm the black hills. Disappointed. 20 min wait was no big deal at all! Another 10 before waiter can even show up to the table. . Then order food comes out within I'd say arty most 15 mins when it's busy all to tell me that it was cooked before we even arrived. Dug in. All barely warm. Didn't even complain cause our waiter was already getting so many complaints from the family next to us who I heard the dad say they ALL had cold food. Was bummed cause we looked forward to this place all week but we r not much for complaining to begin with and it was ok jus woulda wished for hot food with more flavor. (Both had chicken fried steak, "homemade" beans def must come out of can those r not good! )

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Loved this restaurant. The owner is from Indiana (like us),and we had a great conversation with him. Staff was friendly ad knowledgable. Food was great. We had ribs, wings, salads, buffalo burgers. Would definitely go back.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I was a little worried when we first arrived. We waited for a couple minutes to be seated before my husband went to find someone to help us. After that, everything was great. The waiter was very nice and had excellent recommendations about what to get. My husband and I split the ribs and buffalo burger. This was the best buffalo burger we had during our trip! The ribs were falling off the bone. I'm not a big fan of cowboy themes, but the restaurant was tastefully decorated and not overwhelming in the least.