“Great find just outside of Sioux Falls”

Palisades State Park
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Garretson
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This state park had a wonderful amount of scenery, walking trails, and beautiful sights and sounds - nature at its finest! There is a diverse amount of wildlife, from cranes to frogs to fish, and the quartzite rock formations were simply breathtaking.

You can easily see everything in a day. Some people elect to stay in cabins or camp. My wife and I purchased a one-day permit for $6. We thought it was more than worth it. On the walking trails, you will be rewarded with incredible views of the quartzite rock formations, tranquil waters that lead into the Big Sioux River, I believe, and an up-close experience with nature.

Palisades State Park is a delightful place to visit that is close to Sioux Falls, not overly crowded with people, and will reward visitors with great sights, sounds, and experiences to remember for a long time.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"upstream"
"bluff"

Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

We camped here for a couple of nights... The park is nice, well-maintained, and worth a visit. The tent sites were not terribly level, but not too bad.

The park itself is pretty, but there are only a day's worth of trails.

2  Thank OurWander-FilledLife
Reviewed June 17, 2012

The park has beautiful views of the water and quartzite rock formations. There are some nice trails to walk and a bridge. My husband, children, and I had a great time exploring this park and plan to visit again. We also appreciated how well maintained the park was.-- everything from the grounds, to the paved parking pads, to the picnic spots tucked away, and the cleanliness of the restrooms. Parents, do watch your small children on the trails- some are close to the water's edge.

1  Thank dwo321
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Spacious and well maintained. My husband and I camped in a lovely cabin with our two dogs. Seems there may be a polite "Don't ask, don't tell" policy, at least that my hold true mid-week with lots of vacancies. Very nice trails, perhaps more extensive than that which we explored our two night, partial days. I'm going to shout. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED  and seemingly not all that well known or advertised. Hike, swim, float, no hassle keeping our well-behaved dogs off leash (we are conscious and respectful) - and lots of places along the riverside trail to toss sticks into slow current, swimmable water for dogs to actually jump in and swim. Pal asides was a surprise and a treat. Campsites are huge.  Cabins are awesome with large porches, electric, air con, heat - and private, as well. Pit toilets clean, stocked, and have soft solar lighting after dark. Nice staff.   I cannot point out one negative. Palisades is a sleeper. Go explore it!  Btw, we are from Montana and camp the U.S a lot.

3  Thank seliza