“A Great Hotel - just hard to find...”
Review of Martin Mason Hotel

Martin Mason Hotel
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
Hong Kong, China
“A Great Hotel - just hard to find...”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

The Martin & Mason Hotel is a very nice, very traditional hotel in the centre of Deadwood. The rooms are named as well as numbered (we stayed in Lucy Ann), and are traditionally decorated and furnished, with 4-post beds and dark red paintwork (in our room and wood panelling.
We didn’t have a full breakfast with our room, but the coffee and scones available in the hallway were tasty and kept us going for a while.

There are a couple of difficulties with this hotel though. Firstly, it’s pretty difficult to find as it’s above a casino and has very little signage at street level (there’s a bit sign high up on the building but if you’re not looking at the 3rd floor you won’t see it), and secondly, the entrance and reception area are in the middle of the casino. It’s a personal thing, but I’m not comfortable in casinos so I don’t like this. But I guess a lot of people visiting Deadwood are visiting to go gambling, so maybe this is a big plus point for them!

Anyway, I’d fully recommend this hotel for a stay in Deadwood.

Room Tip: Lucy Ann is very nice...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Melanie H, Owner at Martin Mason Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review of the Martin & Mason Hotel. We enjoy hearing from our international travelers and we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! We understand your concerns about walking through our Wooden Nickel casino to access the elevator to the hotel rooms. We hope that during your stay you were able to use our two private and keyed exterior entrances to the hotel, designed specifically for guests who want to avoid the casino. It was important to us that we maintain the historic feeling of our quiet small hotel and the two staircases to the second floor are designed to provide this to our guests. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope that you will return again sometime.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed at the Martin Mason Hotel for a night after seeing a concert in Deadwood. I really enjoyed both the property and the service. Let me start by saying, yes the building and rooms are historic, as such this may come as a shock to some who are used to staying in cookie cutter hotel rooms. The tub with a hand held shower nozzle took some getting used to but it was still comfortable and fun. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was clean. Breakfast was coffee and scones outside in the hall and the scones were delicious. Overall, we really had a great night there. We were able to walk to everything and Star was very nice and helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Melanie H, Owner at Martin Mason Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Martin & Mason Hotel. We hope that when you return sometime, you might try another room for a different experience since they are all unique. The rooms with the showers are 1, 2, 5/6 and 7/8. Rooms 10 and 11 have bathtub/shower combinations! Thanks again for staying with us!
Wodonga, Australia
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We where in room 7 the Mason Suite, my husband and I found the room to be well restored decorated to the period, comfortable very spacious, staff where very friendly polite willing to help, couldn't do enough for us, made our stay for two nights a delight.
Highly recommend. Close to the Main Street.
I put this hotel as top class.
Excellent

Room Tip: We where on the second floor but throughout our stay we had know trouble with any noise, it was a ve...
Thank Linette and Joh... K
Thank you so much for your lovely review of our hotel. You cannot imagine how gratifying it is when travelers, such as yourselves, appreciate everything we have done to create a perfect experience for our guests. We hope to see you again sometime here at the Martin & Mason!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed September 1, 2013

It's not a boutique hotel by any stretch of the imagination. We went to the room we had reserved. No seating except on the bed. For some reason the chairs were missing. The woman who took us to our room came back with a couple of straight chairs. DH not impressed. He was also taken aback that this hotel had been condemned before being rehabbed. He felt that should have been offered upfront. We were offered an upgrade which I took for another $100. DH not pleased. But, I wanted to be comfortable. We got a suite. Too bad there wasn't food service. It would have been wonderful to have tea in that room. Bed was luxurious. Towels very nice and fluffy.

There was coffee available on the floor with the rooms and a small fridge with complimentary beverages.

The normal rooms are small. However, it is an old hotel. If you want cookie cutter experience, then go somewhere else. It's not a great value for the money. But, it's well located in Deadwood. We walked to everything.

Room Tip: Talk to the hotel when reserving a room. You will have a better chance of getting what you want.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ciezie
Melanie H, Owner at Martin Mason Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
We appreciate so much your time in writing a review for our eight room boutique hotel. We actually do meet all the qualifications for a "boutique hotel" as described by wikipedia! We are also very proud of the fact that we have received so many accolades and awards for our thirteen year project to restore our building located in a national historic district. We are frequently asked to give tours of our project by the state and city historic preservation officers as an excellent example of a complete renovation. During the renovation it was necessary to create bathrooms in rooms that originally did not have them, and this in itself was a challenging project! In addition, it was our goal to use every historical item that was left in the building after many years of abuse. We couldn't be prouder of our efforts! Unfortunately, I was not present during your stay or I would have been happy to show you the building with Before and After pictures! If you were in one of the suites I am so sorry that you did not find the tea kettle provided with tea cups, tea and condiments to make your stay more comfortable.....maybe next time. I do look forward to helping your next stay meet all your needs here in Deadwood.
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Small room. Dirty bedspread. No food services available. Old linens. Soft, lumpy bed with equally bad pillows. Poor lighting. Non existant management skills. Dank lobby. Would never recommend this "hotel". Not at all like advertised...except that it does seem old.

• Stayed August 2013
The staff at the Martin & Mason Hotel is very accommodating and helpful with all of our guests. Even though I was out of town during your stay, the staff let me know of the issues regarding the confusion with your purchase downstairs and how unhappy you were upon arrival. They actually called me in Michigan they were so concerned. Clearly, you were having a "bad day". Please let me clarify some of your comments; Our restaurant is only closed from 10pm to 7am, this time of year, so I am sorry that food service was not available to you when you needed it. I hope you had breakfast in the morning, as it is the best in Deadwood, but I am sure you were pleased with the coffee and scones outside your room in the morning! Our beds are all pillowtop with 600 count sheets. The down pillows are a selection of different thicknesses and weights, so as to accommodate everyone's needs. Nothing is dirty as we have the absolutely best housekeeper in the world who takes her job responsibilities very seriously. I would like to personally invite you back to meet her and our entire staff on better terms when you are happier. as this review was quite unrealistic.
Southlake, Texas
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Melanie and entire staff made our two night stay a memorable experience. The personal attention to guests makes this hotel a MUST DO in Deadwood. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a stay to remember.

Room Tip: The Lucy Martin room was excellent.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the great review! We really enjoy having such nice guests in our small hotel. It is what makes this business so rewarding and fun. The Lucy Ann is one of our favorite rooms too! We look forward to hosting you again sometime!
United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2013

The Martin Mason hotel embodies everything that is great about Deadwood. It is authentic and atmospheric, yet has all the up-to-date necessities for these days such as a lift, air conditioning and modern bathrooms. The bed could not have been more comfortable, and the welcome and hospitality could not have been warmer. Melanie is such a charming and friendly woman, as is everyone who works at the hotel.
Breakfast at Lee Street Station attached to the hotel is cooked to order and delicious - the rye bread the best I've tasted this side of Poland.
I accidentally left a precious necklace behind, and Melanie was in touch to let me know before I had even realised I didn't have it. Incredible service.
I would say to anyone planning to visit Deadwood: stay at the Martin Mason - you won't be disappointed.
PS I just wish I wasn't already married because I'd love a wedding in the ballroom on the top floor - a magic place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple