My fiance and I decided at the last minute to go somewhere for the week end. We decided to go to Deadwood, SD. We went online and started shopping for some hotels. The Martin and Mason came up and I directly called the hotel to see if anything was available. The lady on the phone was so friendly and helpful. She gave us options and she even offered us a 25% discount on the room (joy of the last minute). She directed us to the website and we looked at some pictures of the hotel. Our room was the John Martin one (#4) and it was simply gorgeous with the victorian style. The room was extremely charming and super clean. The hotel offered high speed internet and there was a hair dryer and 32'TV screen. There was also a antique bath tub - a little bit too small for two tall people but so adorable!! We had a complimentary breakfast (coffee, tea, and muffins) served on a tray right front of the door in the morning :) and they also offered complimentary beverages all day long (water, sodas). The hotel is at a perfect location - tight front of teh Adams Museum and 20 seconds away from Main street, where it's louder than on Deadwood street where the hotel is. It was very quiet that niight and we slept so well. The bed was extremely comfortable!! I also need to mention that the hotel has a restaurant and a gambling area. We did not experience any of it but it looked very nice. There is also a parking for guests only which is nice since deadwood gets pretty busy and it's nice to have a place to park our car upon arrival.
I usually never write reviews because I usually never experience anything exceptional; but this time we had such a blast and the hotel was definitely one of the best part of our trips. Look no further if you are looking for a romantic getaway - The Martin and Mason Hotel is awesome!!!
Here are a coupel of things we also did while in Deadwood:
- city tour bus (located on Main street): great to know the history of Deadwood
- cemetery: Wild Bill and Calamity Jane's graves are there
- Broken Boot Gold mine: visit very interesting
- The trial of McCall: theatre and country music! Great show!!
- Kevin's Costner restaurant 'Jakes': awesome food - and very romantic place
- Costumes and Photo like in the old time - located on main street: kind of pricy $50 - but definitely worth it!
- on the way back, we went to Cheyenne Crossing restaurant located on HWY 14a and the food was great- They have the biggest pancakes I've ever seen and the breakfast are great!! Prices are extremely reasonable for the quantity they serve
- scenic byway 14a with water falls
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the heart of the historic district and walking distance to the best of Deadwood, the 1893 Martin & Mason Hotel stands as the premier historic renovation in Deadwood. A quiet and unique experience, offering Victorian era ambiance with all the modern amenities. Luxurious King beds in our rooms and suites and the best sleep in South Dakota. Scones, tea and coffee are served each morning to our guests. The best breakfast restaurant in Deadwood, the Lee Street Station, is located in the building and open daily. Award winning staff available 24/7. Weddings, special events and meetings are our specialty in our 1898 ballroom. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia and Hotel.de so you can book your Martin Mason Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.