“Great place to stay!”

Best Western Hickok House
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
Reviewed June 12, 2011

I was in town visiting family and stayed here. The rooms are large and clean. The beds and pillows are amazing! The staff is very friendly and efficient. The restaurant has good food at great prices. The onsite parking and the trolley stop right in front makes getting to downtown Deadwood easy. I will be staying here again the next time I'm in town!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank sfmomto3
There are newer reviews for Best Western Hickok House

Reviewed September 22, 2010

Couldn't sleep on first floor because of creaking noise from upstairs rooms.Went to the attached restaurant to have breakfast in the morning but was treated to extremely rude services. I went to the hotel office to complain about their service, however the hotel clerk was already on the phone with restaurant and immediately started defending the waitress rude behavior without listening to my experience. I was so upset about this experience that we will never patronize this hoter or restaurant again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jktinkerbell
Lynda_Duckett, Front Office Manager at Best Western Hickok House, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2010

I am aware of the situation you had experienced here. I am aware the front desk clerk spent a few minutes with you trying to explain that the restuarant has a policy of not allowing substitutions on the menu. The staff was following the policies in place.
I do apologize that you feel you were treated rudely by both the hotel staff and the restaurant staff. We do not like to make our guests and customers feel they are unimportant or their comments are not important. Without your feedback we have no way of knowing where we can improve for an over all great experience with us.

Reviewed July 30, 2010

I am 58 and have a 13 year old daughter. My wife died in January 2010 as a result of ALS. My daughter and I left Florida on a cross country trip on July 20, 2010. Our first stop was New Orleans. After that, we traveled up to St. Louis, Kansas City, MO and sort of followed the Lewis and Clark Trail up the Missouri River. We had a real nice stay at Badlands National Park. We drove through Sturgis (I have a Harley Davidson in Florida) and then went to Deadwood. We did not have reservations. We drove through Deadwood, past the Best Western and drove up to the Comfort Inn. They had a room, but, it is a multistory casino hotel and I don't like smoke or casinos. I called the Best Western and they had a room. We went back to the Best Western and Checked in. This is a fantastic hotel that is owned and run by a family. Their staff is so very nice. I saw the owner giving one of the staff members a big hug and it is obvious that there is a lot of great Karma at this hotel. Our room was very nice and very clean. The shower head was fantastic. We had dinner at their restaurant and had Thea as our waitress. Thea is young and relatively new to being a waitress, but, she was as good a waitress as I have ever been served by. The food was really good. We had intended on spending one night here, but, given the charm and hospitality, we stayed two nights. My car (a 1998 Volvo V90 with 130,000 miles) was shifting a bit weird, so, I asked the hotel staff if there was a local mechanic that they would recommend. They said all the locals go to see Pat at Southside Service. I took my car over to Pat and he changed the transmission fluid for me. My car is now shifting perfectly. The whole deal cost me under $80. Pat is as honest a mechanic as I have ever met.
The Hickock House Best Western is a fantastic place to stay. It is not as new as the Comfort Inn, however, I am so very glad we stayed at the Hickock House rather than the Comfort Inn. The local trolley stops right in front of their hotel and you see lots and lots of regulars checking in and eating in their restaurant. If we come back to Deadwood, we will definitely stay at the Hickock House Best Western. The staff are great, the food is great, the sheets are clean, they get HBO, they are local people and we had a wonderful stay. There is a beautiful border collie named Billy who is often laying out in front of the hotel. Billy is Jay's dog. Jay is the repair man/fixit man.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank jschert
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Enjoyed this hotel. Small restaurant attached also small casino (won a liitle bit). Room was good size staff was very friendly and helpful. Located very close to downtown area.
Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Booked a room here in March through AAA for July to celebrate my daughters 40th birthday. After we stayed one night we found out that they WOULD NOT honor the price that was quota through AAA. We left the hotel and the town. Reserved a non-smoking room and was given a smoking room. Really spoiled a big event in my daughters life. Two thousand miles from home and on a Sunday we couldn't even get a hold of AAA to get help with this.

WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE. CHOOSE A DIFFERENT PLACE TO STAY.

• Stayed: July 2009
Lynda D, Front Office Manager at Best Western Hickok House, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2015

I know it has been several years since this review was submitted. I do feel that even with the amount of time that has passed it warrants a response.
I would first like to apologize for all the frustration that was caused by this incident. From time to time a booking agency may offer something to a guest but not express it to the hotel. I strongly recommend calling the hotel once it has been reserved just to confirm the details you have been given.
We were not able to adjust the rate to anything lower then our lowest available rate. We never want our guests disappointed, however, without any documentation. we can not offer a rate lower then we offer at that time.
We are terribly sorry that this ruined your celebration as we did apologize profusely and did reduce the rate but unfortunately was not able to meet the guest's expectations.
AAA never returned our calls about this guest either.

Reviewed June 20, 2009

The hotel looks old from outside but we were pleasantly surprised at how nice and large the room was. The service at the front desk was great. We had a room upstairs by the little veranda area over the casino. Our kids enjoyed it a lot.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2009

We stayed at the Best Western In Deadwood a couple weekends ago, for the first time. We had called and reserved the room personally at the hotel, the front desk clerk was great! Her name was Ashley, a local and total sweet heart who gave us a mini tour over the phone with lots of great ideas for things to do when we got there. Deadwood is a small town with alot of little streets, we were unable to find the hotel on our own. Called the desk and to our welcomed suprise the same clerk who booked our reservation gave us simple step by step directions and literally walked us through the streets until we pulled into the parking lot. At checkin, she was very kind and curtious, explained the local history, all the interesting facts on the Homestake Gold Mine Company (its the largest, oldest mine still containing ALOT of gold) and the recent construction from NASA turning it into a science lab. She gave alot of personal information, was a joy to chat with pointed out everything to see and do. We WILL DEFINITELY return this late spring early summer when they open up the Homestake tours again according to our friendly tour guide front desk clerk! The room was great ground floor front of the room parking with outside entrance. Very clean, very nice beds. The restaurant and casino is small and quaint with alot of personal love and attention given to each customer. Not cold, harsh and rushed like other larger casinos and restaurants we visited while there, and in comparrison the quality and price of the food was very reasonable and well worth it, plus quality of service was so much better than the fancy "5 STAR" places on Main Street. Thanks for making our first trip a great one, we shall return, and will stay with you again. Hope to see Ashley again too! Its not often these days you actually get good quality real customer service. It was a real treat.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple