“Friendly staff and great location”

Iron Horse Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Deadwood
Reviewed January 1, 2013

When we travel to Deadwood, we always visit the staff at the Iron Horse Inn/Lee Street Dinner. It is a fun place to play and the staff make you feel at home. I always refer people to the Lee Street Dinner, because you can get a home cooked breakfast, like steak and eggs. For a reasonable price, instead of the buffet's that are offered thoughout Deadwood. We recently stayed at the Iron Horse Inn and enjoyed the rustic, but comfortable feel of the room. It is located just off the main street, so you are within walking distance of everything or you can catch the trolley. But most of all, the gals at the Lee Street Dinner always remember our names and we enjoy the humor in their service. Great job!!

Room Tip: The corner room is nice, because of the view of Deadwood
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband and I and our two kids stayed here on a trip this summer. I used TripAdvisor and called the #1 result, booked a room there for my mother-in-law but they didn't have any rooms that would sleep four of us so booked us at their "sister" hotel, the Iron Horse Inn. It's in the same building and they use the same front desk.

The rooms are clean and just fine - nothing impressive, but fun to see the older trim and windows, stay right in downtown. We had no complaints during our stay and I'd recommend it if you're looking for an interesting (non-chain) place to stay on a budget with a family.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This place was originally filled with 'good time girls' apparently. A bordello in other words It still has a whiff of its past in the gaudily decorated bedrooms and a ground floor full of gamling machines. But then all the hotels in Deadwood seemed to be full of one-armed bandits and gaming tables. No breakfast here, but comfortable beds and good washing facilities made this one of the more interesting places to stay on our way up north

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 21, 2012

If, however, you are looking for a real historic Deadwood experience, the Iron Horse Inn is worth a shot. I stayed here for one night during a cross-country trip and from the second I walked into the room I loved it. According to the hotel, it started off as a one-story feed store in the mid-1800s, then gradually grew to two stories then three. At one point the first floor was the town's post office, the second floor was a library, and the third was private residences. We stayed on the second floor, and the room was a decent size with very high ceilings and huge tall windows. The decor was VERY outdated and the entire hotel smelled faintly like cigarettes and old wood. It was JUST dingy enough to be endearing, without actually being dirty and off-putting. The hotel made it very easy to imagine what it looked like 150 years ago in the Wild Bill Hickok days, which is what I would imagine most people would like in a town such as Deadwood. My ONLY complaints would be 1. The casino downstairs took away from the historic feel of the hotel (although I really can't fault them, as there are casinos in nearly every hotel and bar in the town these days), and 2. The bathroom was EXTREMELY small, and the bathtub is elevated a few inches above the bathroom floor, so when I stepped out of the shower I lost my footing and fell into the door. Again, probably not their fault given the age of the place, just something to watch out for. All in all, a fantastic place to stay. (P.S. The bed was VERY comfortable! I slept like a baby!)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed 2 nights here in Deadwood and thoroughly enjoyed it. The rooms are very nice considering this place is more that 100 years old. It is extremely clean and decorated just like it was in the late 1800's. It has very reasonable rates, especially during Sturgis bike week. It is part of the Martin Mason Inn and the Lee Street Station restoraunt. The staff at the entire Hotel is exceptional. They a very friendly and make you feel like your a friend. You have a great view of historic Deadwood from all the rooms and its is like taking a trip back in time more than 100 years ago. Loved it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Well, here it goes. I first went to the front desk to check in, where the attendant called her co-worker over to help me. She led me over to a different desk, where a couple was standing that had arrived before me. I let them go ahead of me, and they booked a room. Which turned into a 15 minute process. After they left, the lady who was checking the couple in had me go to the desk THAT I ORIGINALLY WENT TO THE FIRST TIME, where I was checked in by the other lady who just sat there the whole time while I waited on a uneasy rocking chair. When I first entered the room, I thought it had some unique Victorian charm. I personally despise Victorian style, but I really didn’t mind the small, but cozy room. It also has an ok, but not great view of Deadwood, as well as a nice, historic location across from the Adams Museum. I usually head out and enjoy the town a little, but this night I had to put some quick finishing touches on homework and had a midnight deadline. The Iron Horse advertises free wi-fi, yet all I could manage to connect to in my room was faint connections of neighboring hotels. I notified the front desk, to which she replied, “Well, it was working last night when I was using it!” in a polite manner, that’s the thing about the Iron Horse, they’ll kill you with kindness and make you forget the less-than-stellar hotel. I then had to finish my homework at the bar in the casino, not the most ideal spot. I then returned to my room only to find that there were 2 functioning outlets, and the bedside lamp also did not work. Windows are sealed shut. The TV is also circa 1989 or 1990. The beds, however, are pretty comfy. I could see an older (80+) couple enjoying this room.

Room Tip: Lower rooms will have a somewhat better wi-fi connection
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank NickR0234
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Stayed one night, very nice room with tall ceilings, lots of space. At a wedding so idn't eat in the hotel or nearby but enjoyed the stay. Staff was friendly andhelpful. Room clean.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple