“Tricked into the wrong hotel!”
Review of Iron Horse Inn

Iron Horse Inn
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
Los Angeles, California
“Tricked into the wrong hotel!”
Reviewed April 24, 2011

I was really excited to stay at the Martin & Mason hotel in Deadwood, a beautiful hotel with renovated rooms appointed with beautiful antiques, but somehow got booked at this hotel, which is next door, through some shared booking site. It was cheaper but the rooms were strange and not nice furnished at all. The hallways were small and dirty and I would have much much much rather have stayed at the Martin & Mason. Don't get tricked the way I did!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Hot Spring SD
Reviewed February 18, 2011

I stayed here,frankly because it had reasonable rates and it was the only hotel left with resv.
I was pleasantly suprised. While the hotel is old, they keep it very clean. The staff is friendly and it seemed like everyone liked their job. I've stayed at many high end hotels and I'll take a clean room and a great staff over "luxury" any day. And to ice the cake, I won $150 on slots!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Everett, Washington
Reviewed October 6, 2010

This is a followup to review done three years ago. This time room 205 instead of 301. Much smaller, sort of cramped. Right across from ice machine which was very noisy because room door did not seal well (gap at bottom and could see daylight along edges). Like the other room it has very tall ceiling and like to also there is a gap at top of windows with no shade so lots of morning light comes in. No pizza shop odor anymore (gone?) . We were very disapointed with pricing ($99) for such a small room compared to last time so this is NOT the value it once was. We had such a good experience last time we did not shop around but will do so next time we go to Deadwood. They've added connection to adjoining hotel and expanded casino BUT we could find no way to get from Iron Horse even to the front desk/casino cage by wheelchair. There are several steps inbetween. Not sure if this is ADA compliant. Could not even get to the rest of the casino without going outside to another entrance. Also, as noted in other reviews, computer was VERY slow at both check-in and check-out. But the high-speed wireless internet worked OK although it is non-secure.

Given the difference in room and increased price I can no longer recommend the place unless comparisons to others show it is competitive price and ameneties wise. It's just a place to sleep.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Saint James
Reviewed October 4, 2010

My husband and I have stayed here before (pre-elevator) but not for quite some time. This trip, we brought my in-laws along. Thankfully, we were able to take the elevator this time! The rooms we had were large and clean. We liked the location, too. Away from the noisy main drag but an easy walk to wherever you want to go. The restaurant/bar downstairs was not open when we were there. They had a freak hailstorm that basically destroyed it a couple of weeks before. The staff were very helpful and friendly. We go to Deadwood a couple of times a year and I think we have found our new favorite place to stay. It's not the 'Ritz', it's an historic hotel. So there are quirks that go along with old buildings. We too had tepid water in the shower one of the days. We just got up earlier the next day! Simple solution!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Flint, Michigan
Reviewed September 15, 2010

overall nice atmosphere, good value and service. close to everything in town. HOWEVER running out of hot water while showering is not fun especially if your spouse is next in line. this happened both days we were there. i called the first time, the next day after the same thing happened i called and was told by the manager that she had not been told about and we would be comp'd. well knocking $6.00 off the room rate isn't offering much of an appolgy. too bad. find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Bismarck
Reviewed February 22, 2010

OK, so when we first got to the hotel everything seemed OK. The rooms were nice, kinda dirty (dead flies on window bottoms, dusty). I can deal with that, no biggie. When we tried to go to sleep, we were bombarded by a constant "thud" in the wall. It sounded like someone possibly banging on the wall with a hammer. But it was a consistent loud noise that happened every 1 or 2 seconds for a few minutes, then would stop for a few seconds, then start again. This went on for an hour or two before I couldn't take it any longer.

I called the front desk to report either someone or something in the wall that is causing a banging noise, asking if she knew if they had problems with old pipes or anything. The front desk lady told me she had never heard such a thing but would send someone up to check it out. Ten minutes later two lady staff members (from the gaming/casino area) arrive at my room.

They inform that this is a KNOWN issue (contrary to the comments just made by the frotn desk clerk) in this room and is caused by the heating/cooling unit that is right above the room. So I ask what can be done? Answer: Nothing. I ask can I get another room, since this is all but impossible to sleep in? The other staff member rudely answers me they don't have any available rooms. I ask can I get some kind of comp or refund? Again, no, nothing can be done, you have paid full price for this room that we know has a noise issue but yet continue to rent it out at full price and then when customers nearly lose their insanity trying to sleep we gladly come to their room and tell them TOUGH LUCK.

NEVER, EVER, EVER will I be back. One of the worst customer service, and in turn, overall experiences I've ever had.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank mchorne
Akron, Co.
Reviewed February 16, 2010

This hotel is a short walk from main street and if the weather is cold and snowy like when I was there, it can be more inconvenient than staying at one of the main street hotels like I did the next night. Even though the rooms are somewhat worn and tattered, they are clean and have excellent rates. The people that work here are extremely helpful and friendly. The excellent pizza restaurant in the basement was no longer in operation but they had the same type of pizzas at the Hickocks casino just down the street for a late night meal. Deadwood casinos and hotels are not glitzy with all the amenities one might get in Vegas or Atlantic City, but the people are down to earth and friendly and generally you will have a great time! Don't forget to check out Saloon #10. They have great poker tournaments and rockin bands playing on the week-ends!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo