“Wow one of the best restaurants we have ever eaten!!”
Review of Jakes Atop The Midnight Star - CLOSED

Jakes Atop The Midnight Star
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
San Antonio, TX
“Wow one of the best restaurants we have ever eaten!!”
Reviewed July 9, 2008

I don't know where the poor reviews have ever eaten but it couldn't have been at quality restaurants.
One of the bad reviews was at the bar downstairs from Jakes and should be taken off the review of this restaurant!!!

Jake’s was a fabulous respite from the smoke filled gambling salons of Deadwood. An elegant atmosphere but you can come in casual clothing. We both had extraordinary meals with impeccable service!!! We have eaten all over the world at fine dining establishments and this would rate in the top 5! The pianist during dinner was an added wonderful touch. A must stop for dinner if you like great food and service at a very reasonable price for fine dining!!!

2 Thank llbecknell

Sheridan, Wyoming
“I disagree with past reviews....”
Reviewed October 11, 2007

In response to some of the recent reviews on this website... I disagree with the negative responses. My husband and I frequently visit Deadwood and "HAVE" to eat at Jake's every time we go. We usually have to make a reservation a couple of weeks in advance in the summertime. You can't tell me if it wasn't good they wouldn't have a wait like that. I have had wonderful experiences with the wait staff, the food.... the atmosphere is awesome. The prices are right and the portions are a good size especially after a couple glasses of wine and a few dinner rolls and a salad. My opinion is... you are going to get what you give. If you walk in somewhere and act like you own the place, most people are going to have a negative reaction to you. I waited tables in my younger years and there were always those few people that you dreaded seeing walk in the door and you automatically gave them to the new girl. People who treat their wait staff with disrespect need to get up and try it themselves. Our waiters and waitresses are just good, honest, hard working people trying to make a living, support their families, work their way through school, whatever. Most people don't understand that waiters are paid less than minimum wage and we live off of our tips. I am married now with two kids and my husband and I own a multi-million dollar company. You would never know it.... we worked our way through school and being single parents and I have the utmost respect for any and all people who are willing to get out there and earn an honest living. Even if they are young kids working at McDonald's.

7 Thank shannabelle72
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“Not Even The Wine List Can Overcome Arrogance”
Reviewed July 7, 2007

While traveling the US we decided to spend a few days in Deadwood to experience the beautiful scenery and history of the Old West. Open to recommendations from locals as well as reviews, we made reservations at Jake's, a decision we regret to this day.

The wine list is very nicely arranged and the prices were in line with most high-end restaurants.

There's a fine line between paced, relaxing dining experience and bad service. Literally no servers or wait staff were visible in the restaurant, and honestly, a restaurant full of customers can be fun, it doesn't have to be scary. After about 15 minutes a trip to the hostess stand did prompt an offer of cold rolls and butter.

The staff would be better served to work at Dick's Last Resort, where insults and attitude are plauded. Clearly, not just at our table, but at other tables around us, people expressed shock and dismay. The staff seems to have a higher-than-normal sense of entitlement and easily bothered by customers.

The location, view, and decor are notable. Sadly, when our food finally arrived, the meal mirrored the attitude of the staff.

Jake's has the potential to be a high-end restaurant, yet it doesn't make the grade. It feels as if there's no ownership of the staff or the kitchen, customers are a distraction and inconvenience.

So have a bottle of wine, enjoy the decor, and don't expect a WOW meal, just disappointment.

7 Thank KBrownKAT
Indianapolis, IN
“A Breath of Fresh Air on Deadwood's Restaurant Scene”
Reviewed January 9, 2007

Please disregard the previous 2 reviews. My husband and I stayed in Deadwood this past May '06. The tourist season had not formally begun and it seemed the dining options were limited-especially on the main strip. I was sick of eating greasy and fried food at special prices at all the hotel restaurants. When we went to Jake's, a woman was playing piano in the background and it was very soothing. Our waitress was courteous and we loved our food. I thought the pricing matched the atmosphere and quality/quantity of food. This is a great romantic spot. I would not trust someone who reviews a restaurant and misspells the word refined! Look at the menu online ahead of time if price is an issue!

Indianapolis Traveler

5 Thank NWIndyTraveler
Wyoming
“Once is enough!”
Reviewed November 6, 2006

This was the never ending dinner!! We had an 8:30 reservation for seven people. At 9:30 we were still waiting for our appetizers. The menu is quite limited. The food was nothing spectacular. The service was friendly, but ...oh...so...slow. Then the food was not even fully cooked. The bacon wrapped shrimp appetizer had raw bacon, the salmon was only half cooked, and the medium steaks were rare to medium-rare. Once was enough for us!

3 Thank 71husker