“Ski For Light”

Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
Rapid City
“Ski For Light”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

My 30th year attending Black Hills Regional Ski for Light and My 8 or 9th year staying at the Celebrity. My stay here is always enjoyable and convenient. Pretty much the same staff over the years which says a lot. I always get the same room so it's like "coming home for a visit." Parking couldn't be any more accessible especially considering this is Deadwood. Unlike some hotels in Deadwood, there are no noise problems from people walking down the street after bar-closing banging on the windows and the like. The rooms are clean, well-kept, and comfortable.

Room Tip: If you get there early in afternoon, there is a parking lot right next to the hotel. This fills qui...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Rented a room in the main hotel for the first night and it was nice and cozy. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Parking for my bike and trailer was convenient. The rest of our stay we were able to stay in a condo across the street. The condo was huge and it overlook the main drag in Deadwood.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
South Dakota
Reviewed January 23, 2013

What a find! The MLK holiday gave us the opportunity to head to Deadwood for the weekend. We normally stay in Rapid City when we’re in the area but decided to give one of the historic hotels a try.
Making our reservation was easy enough and we able to get a room in the hotel proper.
We arrived before the check-in time of 4:00 p.m. but didn’t have to wait too long before we were able to get into our room. I felt the front desk staff was accommodating regarding getting us settled as quickly as possible.
The room was lovely. The king-sized bed and armoire (which has space for hanging clothes and then a large closet for other storage and houses the ironing board) take up most of the room but there was still enough comfortable space to sit at the small table. The bed was comfortable and I loved the pillows! The heat and AC is thermostatically controlled and a bit loud but, the room maintained a good temperature and the heat rarely came on.
On to the bathroom. It was beautiful! The vanity had plenty of room for two people to stash their toiletries. The complimentary bath products were a step above the norm and nicely displayed. The tub and shower are separate units and both were well maintained. The whole place was very clean, probably the cleanest hotel room I’ve stayed in for a very long time. There was a hint of fragrance after the housekeeping visit but it was not overpowering and it was not used to cover up any unpleasant odors.
There is a small coffee pot in the room but no refrigerator or microwave.
When we made our reservation we were told we would be in room 101. That made me a bit nervous. The hallway to the first floor rooms is separated from the casino by a door and we were the first room through the door – now I was even more concerned since I am a light sleeper and easily disturbed by noise. I was astounded! There was very little noise! I later asked how many guests had been there during our stay and was told the hotel had been full! There really wasn’t any noise from outside, and only minimal sound from the casino and adjoining rooms. The only problem I noted was from a door that seemed to be upstairs – it slammed. My guess is the return wasn’t properly adjusted and I made this known when we checked out. As we were walking away from the front desk, I heard a conversation regarding the issue being addressed with maintenance, talk about taking prompt action!
A continental breakfast is served in the morning and I won’t give it high marks but, for a hotel that doesn’t have a restaurant, it’s notable that it’s offered at all.
The staff was very friendly and accommodating, the room was nice in ambiance, cleanliness and comfort. There is a nice sized casino, a bar and smoking room. I’m almost reluctant to give this such a great rating because I always want to be able to get a room when I go back – lol. As long as there’s room at the Celebrity, we’ll never stay in Rapid City again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank MeanderingMax
Pipestone, Minnesota
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We recently stayed at the Celebrity Hotel for 2 nights, Oct 17 and 18. This was the second time we stayed there. The rooms were very clean, bed was comfortable and it was a good location on the Main Street. Staff was very friendly and the check in and out process was very quick and efficient. The only issue I had was that not all the rooms have internet access. I even asked if there was an area on the lower level to plug in my laptop or to be able to check my emails for work. They didn't have anything like a business area. It was only a minor inconvenience, so I would recommend when making a reservation to make sure you have internet in your room if you need it or it could be an issue. I assumed they all did but was told only the newer section has it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at the Branch House, a separate building from the main hotel & casino. It is a short walk across the street. It was very quiet the first night because we were the only tenants. Outside traffic was not a problem. The second night was quiet unless someone was coming or going. Once they closed their doors, it was good. But anytime you're in a gambling (i.e. drinking) town, you'd better expect noisy, stomping buffaloes coming to their hotel rooms after midnight, with little regard that others may be asleep. Like I said, when the hotel room doors were closed, it was peaceful. Also, the room was reasonably clean, and we stayed in a suite which had plenty of room. I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BeBe_Bon
Carroll, Iowa
Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

We stayed September 27th and loved the hotel and our room. We came without a reservation so we could check things out in town fell in love with the location. Heather at the front desk gave us room 219, a king mini suite which over looked Main Street. Beautiful room. Nicely decorated. Free wine and beer while we gambled. Great bed. Need better lighting at the vanity in the bathroom. Would recommend to anyone.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Celebrity is absolutely a fantastic place to stay. Love the room 204 Elvis Prestley Room. We love the deck which overlooks Main Street Deadwood. The staff are fantastic. This was our 2nd time here (brought my brother and sister in law) they loved it also. We will defininately be back next year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends