“Great Place”

Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
New Ulm, Minnesota
“Great Place”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I would highly recommend this hotel. We have stayed numerous times, in both the hotel and The Branch House. Happy with both. The staff is excellent and very helpful!!! Will return again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Jackson, MN
Reviewed April 10, 2012

We just returned from a terrific couple of days staying at the centrally located Celebrity. We had to cut our trip short due to a family emergency and the staff was wonderfully understanding and refunded our motel room right away. The free breakfast is a great kick start to the day and very handy. We were worried about the no smoking, but they had a very nice smoking lounge and lots of doors to the outside, so made things doable for my husband. Great atmosphere, room was spacious very nice. Love the fridge in the room. Can't wait to stay there again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dickinson, North Dakota, United States
Reviewed March 26, 2012

It was our first time staying in Deadwood. We specifically picked the Celebrity because of the great reviews and it being located on the main strip. I was really disappointed when we arrived.First the lady that checked us in did not tell us where our room was located so after walking around the hotel for awhile another employee told us where our room was and found out our room was located in the Branch house, which is located behind the hotel across the street than two blocks away. Upon walking in the buidling it was so hot in there, there was alot of street noise. The building inside was quiet and you couldnt hear anyone else staying in there. It was clean and comfortable but the location is awful! We did our research upon booking these rooms and did see there were branch house rooms, however upon booking our room there was never a description this room wasnt located in the actual hotel. On the bright side, the staff was most of the time friendly and the complimentary breakfast was nice. We probably wont be staying at the Celebrity again.

Room Tip: Make sure to call to verify you are not in the Branch House if you are looking to be right on the ma...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
donnelsonauta, Manager at Celebrity Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Thank you for your comments on our new property, the Branch House, which is located only a block off Main Street. Since you booked your room from our web site, I have gone in and listed that the Branch House rooms are located off site from the Celebrity Hotel. As you stated these rooms are very clean, comfortable, and the building it is very quiet. Thank you for the compliments on my staff and I will remind them to give proper directions to the Branch House, which is located about 100 yards from the main hotel. The ventilation systems in the rooms are excellent and we are working on the ventilation system when you enter the Branch House. Thank you again for your comments. Ken Gienger General Manager.
North Dakota
Reviewed March 14, 2012

We didnt stay here this time, but I write to comment on the excellent customer service. we gambled here over our 4 day stay mainly because of the great staff. corey in the bar is great. so is the lady blackjack dealer. they treat us like "family" every time we visit, and that keeps us coming back.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed February 26, 2012

The other half and I had met in Deadwood long ago and decided that we wanted to stay there to get away from the wkend. I called and made the reservation, specifically asking the front desk clerk for a larger single bed and a room that had a jacuzzi/hot tub that would fit 2 full sized adults. She told me that room 212 was available, it had a grecian tub and that it would fit with no problems.
We got there, as I walked in the room I was pleasantly surprised. It was a gorgeous corner room with a king sized bed.. super comfortable!! I walked into the bathroom and loved seeing the stand up glass shower. The tile on the wall and the counter tops were gorgeous as well. Sadly though, the tub was what I guess would be considered a soaking tub, really only fit for one person. Neither myself or the other half even tried the tub. And truly, that tub was the reason I had picked and booked the Celebrity Hotel.
There was no noise at all from the downstairs casino, but there was quite a bit of road noise from outside. That wasn't so bad being the bed was comfortable enough to drown out any level of being awake for us. We went down to the breakfast provided for guests, there wasn't much of an assortment, but we grabbed a few things to nibble on and some juice. Maybe had we gotten there earlier there would have been more of a choice.
Overall the room was beautiful and worth the stay, the noise level wasn't bad considering we were in Deadwood on a wkend. I just really wish the attendant had told me that the jacuzzi really was only meant for 1 person, I may have requested another room or figured something out being that was one of my wants for a wkend away with the significant other. Don't take this as a bad review, the Celebrity Hotel really is worth the stay for anyone looking for a bit of luxury at a reasonable price in the heart of Deadwood.

Room Tip: Make sure if you have specifics that you are looking for, to ask for them
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed January 1, 2012

You couldn't ask for a better location right on Main Street and free hotel parking in two lots. If you can, park in the temporary spaces in front of the hotel for your check-in so you can be directed to the free lots.

When you walk in, the desk serves both the casino and hotel which was a problem for me as I had questions about the rooms but was rushed through my check-in so the attendant could help the casino patrons in line. There should have been more than one person at the desk.

I asked for a king, non-smoking, first floor with separate bath and shower. The desk attendant checked a book and said all she had left on the first floor was a room with two queens but it had the separate bath and shower. I took that room at a very reasonable $78.

The room, 104, was handsomely furnished and one thing I noticed in particular was the lighting. Very appealing, soft and golden. The TV was a box set and really should be updated with a flat screen. There is no wi-fi in the hotel, so either bring your own cord or borrow one from the front desk. The bathroom is NOT a separate bath and shower, it is a handicapped combo with a fold down seat and bars like I've never seen before. (See photo) I was tired and didn't want to go through the hassle of moving so I stayed. Hard for me to understand how the employees don't know their rooms any better than that, especially after checking their book.

There was absolutely no sound from the casino, surprising as it was just down the short hall. But the smoking lounge is right next door and every time I opened the door to my room, the odor drifted in and it smelled like an ashtray. I am particularly picky about smoke odor, it may not bother anyone else. There is a sign on the desk in the room that explains extra charges will be incurred if deeper cleaning has to be done due to smoking in this non-smoking room. I felt like sending them a bill when I left for the time I spent smelling the smoke.

There are no ice or vending machines on the first floor, but if you take your ice bucket to the bar just inside the casino, they are happy to fill it there.

The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable, the toiletries are Gilchrist and Soames (a person favorite), and I had to smile when I opened the bathroom door because the hotel advertising is proud of their "excessive marble," and yes, there is gorgeous marble all over the place.

As I mentioned, the shower/bath combo was a disappointment and it didn't help that there were several hairs in the tub, but the rest of the bathroom was spotless. The shower head water pressure was poor. The bars claiming real estate in the shower make it almost impossible to not have the shower liner plastered to your backside the whole time you're standing in there. They really should consider a bowed curtain rod.

The casino was small, as are many in Deadwood due to limited space, but I won enough to cover my room and that's all I needed. The staff was incredibly friendly and asked if they could bring me anything to drink several times while I was at the slot machines. The Hollywood memorabilia was a lot of fun.

If I wanted to stay in a hotel with front row access to all that Main Street has to offer, I would consider staying at the Celebrity Hotel again. But next time I would ask to check the room before I paid for it.

Room Tip: The first floor rooms are especially convenient and have a side exit to themselves so you don't...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank TravelGirl-RedCar
Billings, Montana
Reviewed November 11, 2011

really nice, updated rooms with fantastic bathrooms! very clean. we stayed on the first floor down the hall from the casino and couldnt hear noise from the casino or other guests. would stay again for sure! it is right downtown deadwood, walking distance to everything. on a side note, had an AWFUL experience at the adams museum. the greeter was so rude and wouldn't let us enter the FREE museum without making a $5 "donation" she was so out of line, we walked out. couldn't believe how we were treated. don't waste your time unless you want to be harassed. but thanks celebrity for a great stay!

Room Tip: first floor was great, we didnt have to use the stairs!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family