“A nice weekend getaway”
Review of Celebrity Hotel

Celebrity Hotel
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Deadwood
Reviewed February 26, 2012

The other half and I had met in Deadwood long ago and decided that we wanted to stay there to get away from the wkend. I called and made the reservation, specifically asking the front desk clerk for a larger single bed and a room that had a jacuzzi/hot tub that would fit 2 full sized adults. She told me that room 212 was available, it had a grecian tub and that it would fit with no problems.
We got there, as I walked in the room I was pleasantly surprised. It was a gorgeous corner room with a king sized bed.. super comfortable!! I walked into the bathroom and loved seeing the stand up glass shower. The tile on the wall and the counter tops were gorgeous as well. Sadly though, the tub was what I guess would be considered a soaking tub, really only fit for one person. Neither myself or the other half even tried the tub. And truly, that tub was the reason I had picked and booked the Celebrity Hotel.
There was no noise at all from the downstairs casino, but there was quite a bit of road noise from outside. That wasn't so bad being the bed was comfortable enough to drown out any level of being awake for us. We went down to the breakfast provided for guests, there wasn't much of an assortment, but we grabbed a few things to nibble on and some juice. Maybe had we gotten there earlier there would have been more of a choice.
Overall the room was beautiful and worth the stay, the noise level wasn't bad considering we were in Deadwood on a wkend. I just really wish the attendant had told me that the jacuzzi really was only meant for 1 person, I may have requested another room or figured something out being that was one of my wants for a wkend away with the significant other. Don't take this as a bad review, the Celebrity Hotel really is worth the stay for anyone looking for a bit of luxury at a reasonable price in the heart of Deadwood.

Room Tip: Make sure if you have specifics that you are looking for, to ask for them
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 1, 2012

You couldn't ask for a better location right on Main Street and free hotel parking in two lots. If you can, park in the temporary spaces in front of the hotel for your check-in so you can be directed to the free lots.

When you walk in, the desk serves both the casino and hotel which was a problem for me as I had questions about the rooms but was rushed through my check-in so the attendant could help the casino patrons in line. There should have been more than one person at the desk.

I asked for a king, non-smoking, first floor with separate bath and shower. The desk attendant checked a book and said all she had left on the first floor was a room with two queens but it had the separate bath and shower. I took that room at a very reasonable $78.

The room, 104, was handsomely furnished and one thing I noticed in particular was the lighting. Very appealing, soft and golden. The TV was a box set and really should be updated with a flat screen. There is no wi-fi in the hotel, so either bring your own cord or borrow one from the front desk. The bathroom is NOT a separate bath and shower, it is a handicapped combo with a fold down seat and bars like I've never seen before. (See photo) I was tired and didn't want to go through the hassle of moving so I stayed. Hard for me to understand how the employees don't know their rooms any better than that, especially after checking their book.

There was absolutely no sound from the casino, surprising as it was just down the short hall. But the smoking lounge is right next door and every time I opened the door to my room, the odor drifted in and it smelled like an ashtray. I am particularly picky about smoke odor, it may not bother anyone else. There is a sign on the desk in the room that explains extra charges will be incurred if deeper cleaning has to be done due to smoking in this non-smoking room. I felt like sending them a bill when I left for the time I spent smelling the smoke.

There are no ice or vending machines on the first floor, but if you take your ice bucket to the bar just inside the casino, they are happy to fill it there.

The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable, the toiletries are Gilchrist and Soames (a person favorite), and I had to smile when I opened the bathroom door because the hotel advertising is proud of their "excessive marble," and yes, there is gorgeous marble all over the place.

As I mentioned, the shower/bath combo was a disappointment and it didn't help that there were several hairs in the tub, but the rest of the bathroom was spotless. The shower head water pressure was poor. The bars claiming real estate in the shower make it almost impossible to not have the shower liner plastered to your backside the whole time you're standing in there. They really should consider a bowed curtain rod.

The casino was small, as are many in Deadwood due to limited space, but I won enough to cover my room and that's all I needed. The staff was incredibly friendly and asked if they could bring me anything to drink several times while I was at the slot machines. The Hollywood memorabilia was a lot of fun.

If I wanted to stay in a hotel with front row access to all that Main Street has to offer, I would consider staying at the Celebrity Hotel again. But next time I would ask to check the room before I paid for it.

Room Tip: The first floor rooms are especially convenient and have a side exit to themselves so you don't...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank TravelGirl-RedCar
Reviewed November 11, 2011

really nice, updated rooms with fantastic bathrooms! very clean. we stayed on the first floor down the hall from the casino and couldnt hear noise from the casino or other guests. would stay again for sure! it is right downtown deadwood, walking distance to everything. on a side note, had an AWFUL experience at the adams museum. the greeter was so rude and wouldn't let us enter the FREE museum without making a $5 "donation" she was so out of line, we walked out. couldn't believe how we were treated. don't waste your time unless you want to be harassed. but thanks celebrity for a great stay!

Room Tip: first floor was great, we didnt have to use the stairs!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank sarah_smiles2003
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Had a beautiful, luxurious room...bathroom even had towel warmers..felt very spa-like..It's our return destination next spring !

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anita C
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. Everything about it was fantastic, check in, room, bed quality, location, museum and parking. I will stay there again anytime I visit Deadwood.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the main hotel. You can't beat this location.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank angelmay577
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Great locationon Deadwood's"strip". Luxury king room (217) was nice. Bathroom was great, especially the separate shower. gaming was fun, didn't win but had fun anyway. good service all the way around. only complaint....$10 "internet deposit" (for cord to plug in...no wireless). even though i returned the cord i was still charged the $10 (suppose to be refunded upon return). didn't notice it until I left......management can you do me a solid and refund it. room 217 oct 20-23

Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
donnelsonauta, Owner at Celebrity Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2011

The front desk clerk noticed the mistake and refunded the $10 fee the very next day. I am glad that everything else made for a great stay and hope to see you again!

Reviewed October 11, 2011

First time there. Great location, cute town; comfortable bed but pillows way too flat! Hotel clean, interesting memorabilia, good continental breakfast. Went first week of October - off season and great rates. We were in mini-suite. Would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple