“Great value, but prepare for long walks”
Review of First Gold Hotel

First Gold Hotel
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
South Dakota
“Great value, but prepare for long walks”
Reviewed February 6, 2010

We have stayed at the First Gold multiple times. For the price, you get a nice hotel. Clean rooms, covered parking, etc. However, in Deadwood all the action happens in the downtown area, which is a long walk from the First Gold (much longer than their website makes it sound). The last time we stayed there the First Gold and the local trolley service that shuttles tourists to the downtown area were in a feud, so the trolley was no longer able to service the First Gold. This meant long walks for us whenever we wanted to eat, go shopping, grab drinks, etc... The sidewalks were snow packed and sloppy and you follow the main highway to get downtown - not a pleasant walk. So overall, its a good hotel for the value, but if you plan to spend a lot of time downtown, you are much better off staying at one of the many hotels closer to that area of town.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
North Dakota
Reviewed January 21, 2010

Our small, dated and (street) noisy room was arranged for us. It was free so that's the only reason we didn't go somewhere else. It's like they want folks feeling so cramped that they leave the room and stay in the "casino." We won't stay there again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Deadwood hotels

Scottsdale, AZ
Reviewed November 18, 2009

I grew up in South Dakota and now live in Scottsdale, AZ. Every year I try to get back to the Black Hills for a vacation. Over the past several trips, I have stayed at the First Gold in Deadwood. I love this place. Though I have small children now, my wife and I still have a great time when staying here. I really enjoy the friendly staff and all of the conveniences such as the free parking in their huge parking area. After a day of family fun in the Hills we will typically come back to First Gold and have dinner. They have some of the best prime rib I have ever tasted. I will usually take the first shift with the kids while my wife gets a little fun time in the casino. Then it is my turn. The gaming hall is my favorite reason for staying at First Gold. The staff is extremely friendly and though this may sound silly – I love the fact that they give me free drinks. The Indian casinos in AZ charge $4.25 for a bottle of beer. I just find that very disturbing. So I no longer visit those casinos and save my fun money for the annual family trip to Deadwood. If you are planning a trip to the Black Hills and will be staying in the Northern part, I think this is probably one of the best places you will find. Also, if you want a shot of Western culture, stay during the Days of 76 in July. First Gold is located across from the Rodeo grounds and it is an all around great time!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Sioux City, IA
Reviewed November 17, 2009

Talk about making you feel at home...First Gold does just that and more! We arrived late, but the greeting at the front desk eased my nerves after a long day on the road. We checked in, were given a parking pass to the covered parking garage (which was fantastic, since it was raining) and escorted to the new addition, where we found a great room, very clean, with a bed more comfortable than the one at home, ironing board, hair dryer (which my wife loved), and coffee pot. After we unpacked, we called the front desk and they sent a shuttle van to bring us back to the main casino. Due to our late arrival, we missed the supper buffet, but the complimentary appetizers did the job while we enjoyed the 'smoke free ' casino and free drinks...and free breakfast in the morning!!! Thanks for the hospitality!! We will see you next trip... Jeff in Sioux City

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
WI.
Reviewed August 29, 2009

After just spending a week at The Murray Hotel(LOVED IT!!) in Livingston, MT; I have to say First Gold was underwhelming, at best. Located at the far end of Deadwood, the parking lot was smallish and could prove a bit frustrating to find a parking space. The trolley that runs back and forth to Main Street does not pick you up or drop you off at the hotel. You have to go up the road and catch it at :07 & :37 each hour. It's quite a hike to walk to downtown.
Check-in was smooth. I had booked via hotels.com and since I "prepaid," the room was $91 and some change with tax. The room was average, albeit, clean enough. We were on the second floor, and oddly, the elevator always smelled like cooked fish...morning, noon, and night.
Our first night we were gambling in the casino. We went to get a drink at the bar, and we waited...and waited...and waited along with several other customers. It seems that the bartender had injured her foot. One man who was waiting, politely asked another employee to please go get a manager and he was informed that there was no manager! Really? No manager on duty at 10:00 at night? Weird. We ended up leaving and catching the trolley back downtown and spent our money there.
We had the breakfast buffet the next morning. I think it was $5.95 and it wasn't half bad, although we had to wait quite a while to get a table and there were plenty of open ones to be had.
We decided that we wanted to extend our stay in Deadwood for another night. I asked if our room was free and was told that it was...but, that the price would now cost $109.00 plus tax. Came out to $120 something. We probably would have gone somewhere else, however, neither of us felt like packing up and hauling our luggage all around town.
Later that day, we were talking with "Madam Mustachio," one of the re-enactment actors from the gunfights downtown, and she told us that First Gold was the only hotel in town that hadn't yet reduced their Sturgis Rally rates...which took place the first couple weeks of August...and this was the 24th and 25th. Anyway, to sum it up...I would definitely stay somewhere else in Deadwood if I ever go back again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Illinois
Reviewed August 3, 2009

Just returned from stay in Deadwood SD. First Gold is about 10 minute walk from downtown. Trolley runs all day and into the night but does not stop at First Gold. Nearest trolley stop is a couple of blocks in front of Cadillac Jacks. Although we did have one trolley driver that would drop us off at the hotel but absolutely no pickups there. The hotel has golf carts and small van that can take you anywhere on the First Gold property. Just ask for one at the registration desks. Registration desks are in all three buildings. Staff was very friendly except for one "long haired" guy when we arrived. We were hauling two trailers with 3 motorcycles in each and when we arrived, they made us unload immediately on a hill and one guy was very rude to us telling us to hurry up and get stuff out of the way. Not a very nice welcome! But, all of the other staff members were great! Parking garage was very handy. We stayed in Building #3. Had the Saturday night prime rib and crab leg buffet and it was very good. That is the only buffet we ate at First Gold. They do have a free continental breakfast near registration desk in Bldg #3. Cereal, fruit, milk, OJ, coffee, french toast, toast, bagels oatmeal, boiled eggs were all available. Hope this review helps when booking in Deadwood SD.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank teresal65
madison lake, mn
Reviewed July 2, 2009

We have stayed at all the major Deadwood Hotels, and they are nice. First Gold is different. They know their visitors well. We stayed in building three. And while it is far from the main casino, they have shuttles running all the time. We walked because we need the exercise!
Their casino offers free drinks and snacks; they are always giving away TV's or cars or something.
The room was good size, the beds were comfy,and the price was good. $89 with AARP, as compared to $150 at the other name places.
Yes it was an older crowd, but everyone was pleasent, and seemed to be having a good time.
We go to Deadwood twice a year, and will now stay at First Gold.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple