We came to Deadwood on a whim without reservations and, since we are both history buffs, decided to try the Franklin. We are certainly glad that we did. The historical value is thrilling. Claw foot tubs, original turn of the century electrical fixtures, creaky floorboards, amazing grand staircase, and more. For us, it was exciting to think of touching the same switches and walking the very same floor boards as Buffalo Bill, Mae West, Bill Hickock, and the huge number of other famous figures in history that have walked those halls in the past.
Our floor had a parlor for entertaining. It had such beautiful antiques and even little museum-like cards explaining what some of the items were. One such example was the "fainting couch" where the ladies of the period would rest to refresh from the discomfort of the corsets they wore.
Rooms that had famous occupants had plaques designating their past occupants on the door. We stayed in the "Buffalo Bill" room. It was wonderful. We had a rounded corner window overlooking the street where we could see and hear all of the action below.
If you are looking for Holiday Inn, this isn't going to be your cup of tea. The rooms are the size and style of Hotel rooms from 100 years ago. Not today's standards. For sitting, we had a rocking chair, as you would in 1907, not a lazy-boy recliner as you would in 2007.
We aren't interested in gambling, so the casino wasn't much of an attraction, but the lobby and saloon areas were beautiful. We can't review the food service since we ate elsewhere, but overall, everything met our highest expectations. Also, the staff was incredibly helpful and went well out of their way to help us with anything we needed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Silverado Franklin Historic Hotel and Gaming Complex is located at the Top of Main in the Historic town of Deadwood, SD. The Silverado & Franklin feature over 375 state of the art slot machines, 22-blackjack tables and 5 live poker tables in one of Deadwood's most elegant poker rooms. Callahan's Irish Pub and the Veranda (seasonal) serve all of your favorite spirits as does the lounge at the Silverado. All you can eat Crab and Prime Rib Buffet every Friday and Saturday. Deadwood's Premier Steakhouse - Legends Steakhouse serves breakfast and dinner daily. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Silverado Franklin Historic Hotel & Gaming Complex reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Silverado Franklin Historic Hotel And Gaming Complex
- Silverado Franklin Historic Deadwood
- Historic Franklin Hotel