“Loved it. Great character.”

Silverado Franklin Historic Hotel & Gaming Complex
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
oldusa100
“Loved it. Great character.”
Reviewed August 4, 2007

We came to Deadwood on a whim without reservations and, since we are both history buffs, decided to try the Franklin. We are certainly glad that we did. The historical value is thrilling. Claw foot tubs, original turn of the century electrical fixtures, creaky floorboards, amazing grand staircase, and more. For us, it was exciting to think of touching the same switches and walking the very same floor boards as Buffalo Bill, Mae West, Bill Hickock, and the huge number of other famous figures in history that have walked those halls in the past.

Our floor had a parlor for entertaining. It had such beautiful antiques and even little museum-like cards explaining what some of the items were. One such example was the "fainting couch" where the ladies of the period would rest to refresh from the discomfort of the corsets they wore.

Rooms that had famous occupants had plaques designating their past occupants on the door. We stayed in the "Buffalo Bill" room. It was wonderful. We had a rounded corner window overlooking the street where we could see and hear all of the action below.

If you are looking for Holiday Inn, this isn't going to be your cup of tea. The rooms are the size and style of Hotel rooms from 100 years ago. Not today's standards. For sitting, we had a rocking chair, as you would in 1907, not a lazy-boy recliner as you would in 2007.

We aren't interested in gambling, so the casino wasn't much of an attraction, but the lobby and saloon areas were beautiful. We can't review the food service since we ate elsewhere, but overall, everything met our highest expectations. Also, the staff was incredibly helpful and went well out of their way to help us with anything we needed.

• Liked — The well preserved history
  • Disliked — uncomfortable beds
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank oldusa100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
los angeles
Reviewed June 20, 2007

I stayed here last year. Don't believe the HYPE That its been remodeled ,the only room that has been remodeled is the gambling room below. The rooms are stinky from theSmoke below, I woke up choking from the smell. IT WAS GROSS! There is one creeky elevator for the whole place and the paint job is atrocious.
I know the point of going to Deadwood is the ambiance of the old west, but this is silly. They are trying to sell it as if it is the old west, but the truth is its due
to the fact that they don't want to fix their rooms. The paint on the walls are peeling from the walls. This place cannot be called any star, at best falling star!
If you are used to luxiourous accomodations don't look here. Look the Comfort Inn, its better then this hotel! Seriously!

• Liked — bear claw tub, in the town
  • Disliked — needs to be remodeled in the rooms
  • Stayed June 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank cameraelle
SilveradoFranklin, Director of Sales at Silverado Franklin Historic Hotel & Gaming Complex, responded to this review, February 17, 2011
Hi-
We appreciate you writing a review about our property. We always hope that everyone has a pleasant experience when staying with us. Please contact me at 605-578-3670 x:632 and we will see what we can do to make this a more pleasant experience for you.
Thanks,
Jamie

Travelers are raving about these Deadwood hotels

Copperas Cove, Texas
Reviewed January 28, 2007

Okay so it's not the Hyatt. It's a historic hotel - and we loved it. Loved the location, loved the "old" creaky floored room with the claw foot tub and the pull chain toilet. You obviously stay here for the experience, not to be pampered. Great experience in our travels of Wyoming and South Dakota. We looked for places of characture to stay - this place has lots of it. Little old man who takes you up in the manual controlled elevator. Beautiful staircase that could tell a story or two. Each room named for either a famous cowboy or historic person. Great location, walking distance to all casinos and shops. Stay here if you want to experience a little bit of history, don't if you think you need to be spoilt.

Stayed September 2005
7 Thank NMIC
Reviewed July 24, 2006

We arrived in Deadwood on a Friday afternoon with no reservations, because we didn't know when we would get there, by car. First 3 places we went to were full, but Franklin had a "Vacancy" sign up. We went in and were impressed with the lobby. We wanted no smoking, they didn't have it. All they could offer us was a smoking room in the motel across the street,. We would have preferred ground floor, because we are both cardiac patients for which stairs are a problem.
We took the 2nd floor smoking for 3 nights. Then they said to park behind the main hotel, but we found an opening near the motel and took it, and stayed there. (No handicap parking available). The room smelled fairly bad, but tolerable, and was moderately comfortable. We were interested in tours and local attractions, and asked for a concierge, a term no one at the front desk ever heard of. As to tours, they said go down the street. and find tour operators outside. These operators didn't have what we wanted, but they directed to a tour company that would take us to Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and several other places. I found a slot machine I liked, and the second day the chair was gone and replaced by a bucket because the ceiling was leaking. Service was nearly nonexistent.

Stayed July 2006
6 Thank Shirleyrajala
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 15, 2006

About three months prior to my visit I had reserved two rooms for two nights on the South Dakota travel website, confirmation numbers and everything, that I printed out and took with me to Deadwood. When I made my reservation, I even called the hotel directly to make sure that I had booked correctly the specific types of rooms and arrangements that I required (I needed a smoking room with two beds and a non-smoking room with only one bed). Imagine my surprise, then, when I discovered upon arrival that they had correctly booked the single room for the night of my arrival, BUT had the double room booked to arrive THE FOLLOWING NIGHT (no matter what was printed on the website reservation print-out).

Sensing some tension from me ("What do you MEAN you only have one of the rooms?!?!?"), the desk person immediately deferred to an Assistant Manager ("We've been having some difficulty with the transfer of the website information to our reservation office.") who arranged for a double room in the "annex" across the street at no charge, from which we could move to a suite in the main building the following night for the regular room rate. Howevr, we'd have to check-out of the "annex" room and into the new "suite" room sometime after 11:00 a.m. the following day. Despite choosing the Franklin specifically for the purpose of experiencing the "historic" ambience, and despite having planned to spend the next day (July 4th) away from the hotel with relatives who live in the Black Hills, this solution seemed to be the only choice available to us.

The across- the-street "annex" is a pale shadow of a strip motel. Our 1960s-moderne room was right next to the laundry room, in which sheets and towels were loudly washed throughout the night. And the room had only a backlit fluorescent strip above each bed for overall lighting. However, the rooms in the actual historic hotel were only marginally better. Though functionally adequate in terms of plumbing, lighting and air handling, they appeared to have undergone little renovation since, when? 1920, 1930, 1950. Even the "suite" (which had a full kitchen, dining room, living room with bar, and two full sized bedrooms) seemed forlorn and cavernous in its general decoration.

The whole episode was capped off at check-out, when the front desk appeared to have no knowledge of the "solution" arrangements made two days earlier by the Assistant Manager, and presented me with a bill on which my credit card had been charged for two "historic" rooms for two nights each. Upon protesting that that "wasn't at all correct," I was quickly surrounded by hotel security guards who were ready to treat me as if I were a troublemaker. I calmy reiterated the entire story to a phalanx of desk clerks who'd gathered, one of whom dug into the computer and discovered that..ah, yes, there had apparently been a special arrangement.

And did I mention parking? When I arrived (only to find out that our reservations weren't correct), I was told that parking was across the street in front of the "annex," or behind the main hotel in the school (!) parking lot, or in the bank parking lot a block away, space in which was leased by the hotel when the bank wasn't open. Since the annex lot was full, I tried the school lot, only to find it LOCKED with a chain-link fence. I left my car at an on-street parking space and lugged my luggage back to the lobby, at which point one of the hotel employees told me that...well, they have a key to the school lot at the desk. He also recommended parking in the municipal parking garage two blocks down Main Street, and the hotel would reimburse the cost. But since the next day was July 4th I chose to move my car into the bank lot, taking advantage of the fact that the bank would be closed. When I came to retrieve my car the next morning, however, a previously invisible parking attendant appeared, admonishing me for not having gotten a "red tag" for my car from the front desk. Who knew!?

The Franklin's location is top-notch. Its pedigree is such that it could be a real gem as a fully renovated historic hotel. But, for the moment, it's a freaky disappointment with a staff that only partially gets that customer service is what it's all about. At the very least, guests shouldn't have to guess how properly to deal with their cars. When we finally drove on, to continue our vacation, it felt like we'd extracted ourselves from some bizarre "Hotel California" limboland.

• Stayed July 2006
9 Thank DoeHEAD
Colorado
Reviewed July 14, 2006

We just came from Deadwood this week. We had booked our room at the Comfort Inn but decided we would like to stay on Main Street, first stop, Franklin. I had visited their website before we left and could have sworn it said something about renovations being completed. We checked in.
Our room was just old and worn out, the only charming thing about it was the claw foot tub, even that was worn and needed help. The room was dark and of course the air conditioner in the window, it did work. I will have to say the room was clean but it was depressing. We had a noisy party next to us, lost sleep, so we changed rooms. This room was the same but it had a newer bathtub but the shower head was not working right.
We had visited years ago and stayed here but I can't remember much, I think the rooms were worse then but I do remember liking the lobby. I remember the old elevator that had to be run by someone. Of course it is gone with the renovation of the lobby. The main floor is big and uninviting.
We were told they are going to start renovating the rooms. I just hope they keep in mind that this is a historic old hotel and try to bring back some charm to the rooms.

Our first night we decided to eat the buffet across the street at the Siverado, we wanted to use the coupons the hotel had given us. The buffet was terrible. Mounds of cracked blacked pepper in several dishes. I thought I would be saved by dessert, flies sitting and flying about the desserts sitting out uncovered.
We went back for their two coiner breakfast and it was ok for the price, eggs, potatoes and toast.
Overall I was very disappointed in our stay here.

• Stayed July 2006
6 Thank CNW901
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 12, 2006

This Hotel was the most horrible place I have ever been. When we looked online, we read that the hotel was going through remodeling. They are not, as we found, remodeling the guest rooms. They were remodeling the casino/saloon. Our room was called the Kennedy room. He could have actually slept on the bed or sat on the furniture. Everything was so old and old smelling. The light switches were so old, I have never even seen this type of button switch. The floor was creaky and loud. My husband and I left after being in the room only about an hour. Do not stay here. They call it the "Historic" Franklin Hotel for a reason.

• Stayed June 2006