“Nothing spectacular”

Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
Colorado
“Nothing spectacular”
Reviewed July 14, 2006

We just came from Deadwood this week. We had booked our room at the Comfort Inn but decided we would like to stay on Main Street, first stop, Franklin. I had visited their website before we left and could have sworn it said something about renovations being completed. We checked in.
Our room was just old and worn out, the only charming thing about it was the claw foot tub, even that was worn and needed help. The room was dark and of course the air conditioner in the window, it did work. I will have to say the room was clean but it was depressing. We had a noisy party next to us, lost sleep, so we changed rooms. This room was the same but it had a newer bathtub but the shower head was not working right.
We had visited years ago and stayed here but I can't remember much, I think the rooms were worse then but I do remember liking the lobby. I remember the old elevator that had to be run by someone. Of course it is gone with the renovation of the lobby. The main floor is big and uninviting.
We were told they are going to start renovating the rooms. I just hope they keep in mind that this is a historic old hotel and try to bring back some charm to the rooms.

Our first night we decided to eat the buffet across the street at the Siverado, we wanted to use the coupons the hotel had given us. The buffet was terrible. Mounds of cracked blacked pepper in several dishes. I thought I would be saved by dessert, flies sitting and flying about the desserts sitting out uncovered.
We went back for their two coiner breakfast and it was ok for the price, eggs, potatoes and toast.
Overall I was very disappointed in our stay here.

• Stayed July 2006
6 Thank CNW901

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 12, 2006

This Hotel was the most horrible place I have ever been. When we looked online, we read that the hotel was going through remodeling. They are not, as we found, remodeling the guest rooms. They were remodeling the casino/saloon. Our room was called the Kennedy room. He could have actually slept on the bed or sat on the furniture. Everything was so old and old smelling. The light switches were so old, I have never even seen this type of button switch. The floor was creaky and loud. My husband and I left after being in the room only about an hour. Do not stay here. They call it the "Historic" Franklin Hotel for a reason.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
SilveradoFranklin, Director of Sales at Silverado Franklin Historic Hotel & Gaming Complex, responded to this review, February 17, 2011
Hi-
We appreciate you writing a review about our property. We always hope that everyone has a pleasant experience when staying with us. Please contact me at 605-578-3670 x:632 and we will see what we can do to make this a more pleasant experience for you.
Jamie

Travelers are raving about these Deadwood hotels

Denver, CO
Reviewed July 4, 2006

We booked this hotel at the end of a long road trip mainly because of its history. I was concerned because the hotel was supposed to be completing their renovation earlier the same week, but was guaranteed by the staff that everything would be done before we got there. Obviously they were incorrect. The sad thing was that I called the day before (to see if I needed to cancel because of the construction) and was told everything was ready to go.

Everything wasn't ready to go. We arrived and noticed that the lobby was ripped apart and had we realized what was coming, we should have just left then. The staff guaranteed us that there was no construction near any of the rooms and gave us our key. The room was fine (definitely not updated at all - everything looked like it was 30 years old) but the toilet barely functioned and the water pressure and temp was very inconsistent. Since we've been to many historic hotels, I wasn't expecting everything to be perfect and shrugged off those minor concerns.

Until 7 AM that is. At 7AM a lovely jackhammer sound woke our entire group up. I looked out the window and they were doing construction with a jackhammer not more than 10 feet from my bed. We didn't go to bed until about 3 AM, and had no idea to expect such a horrible wake up call. After several calls to the front desk to get them to stop, I decided it was a waste of time because they weren't going to stop their construction no matter what I did.

I'm sure this hotel will be great again sometime, but I would never recommend it until the remodel is finished. And even after that, they really need to hire staff that doesn't lie to you when you ask questions to make sure the hotel will be a good fit.

8 Thank massilem
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed June 30, 2006

My problems with this hotel/motel started right from the start. I was given a key with a 100 number on it but the elevator had just 2nd and 3rd so I asked the desk clerk and he told us that there were no rooms on the first floor of the hotel and that our rooms must be on the 2nd floor.

We discovered that our rooms were across the road in the motel. We needed to carry our luggage up rickety old stairs and the room was old and musky smelling. The air conditioner was placed on a back wall and the room configuration didn't allow for good circulation. The bathroom was filthy and run down. The bed was uncomfortable.

If you want to sleep while in Deadwood, go elsewhere as the room is not soundproof and is noisy with people on the street all night. Then truck deliveries start at 4am. You will hear it all.

The hotel/motel is old, not historic. The lobby is being renovated for 7 million but the rooms are not being renovated.

There is absolutely no water pressure in the shower, I needed to rinse the shampoo out of my hair in the sink.

There is a Hampton Inn down the street that is newly opened, provides free entertainment at night, and restaurants. Next time in Deadwood, I will be staying there.

8 Thank NCTraveler2015