“Authentic Historic Hotel”

Silverado Franklin Historic Hotel & Gaming Complex
Ranked #22 of 25 Hotels in Deadwood
Reviewed January 24, 2009

I have stayed at the Historic Franklin Hotel several times and every time has been a wonderful experience. Each time was in a different room.

I'll start with the reservations. I have always booked through their website or called directly. Know that there is a "motorlodge" that is part of their complex. I have always requested the main hotel and have stayed there. Others have had problems booking through other methods, so I would recommend calling them or booking through their own website.

Parking is a bit different for this hotel. Deadwood is an old town and the streets reflect it. Therefore, there was no parking lot built for the hotel; however, there is a parking lot directly across the street (which there is not a lot of traffic) or extra a block away. I have stayed in the height of the season (July and August) and have never had a problem parking. When you check in, tell the desk that you have a car and they will give you a hangtag for your car. There is also a pull up area right in front to quickly unload your bags or persons who can't walk very far. But overall, parking is pretty easy.

Service is amazing at this hotel. I'm not sure about other reviews, because I have stayed here four times and have had amazing service every time. It starts when you enter the hotel and the door is opened for you and you are immediately greeted and welcomed to the Historic Franklin. Front desk has always been great. You are given coupons for gambling, free drinks and breakfast upon check in. You are also given two keys (real keys!) and directed to your room. There is an elevator, but I prefer the historic, old wood carved staircase.

The hotel itself was recently remodeled in the lobby and casino area. The rooms have recently been done also (new carpets and beds) that really complement the antique furniture. I have stayed in several varieties of rooms (two queen beds, one queen and one twin, and a small king suite). Last time we reserved a king room and were upgraded to a small king suite for no extra charge! It was great! All rooms I have been in have had very comfortable beds, clean linens, fine tv's (didn't watch much though) and clean bathrooms. I loved the claw foot tub (water pressure was fine and never have had problems with hot water) and the antique furniture. It was so cool to be able to see how the old hotel was laid out before it was redone (originally many more rooms with shared bathrooms - design of the late 1890's). One review mentioned the old light switches. They are the old style that are original to the hotel (push button light switches) really added to the charm of the room.

The open verandah for happy hour was great - our coupon for free drinks were honored up there just fine. It was a beautiful night to see all the people on the street and have a quiet drink. The sitting room had original furniture and some relics of the hotel displayed (with tags describing the item).

Overall, I would definitely recommend to anyone. Great stay every time and hoping to go back this summer again!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ialawhawk

Reviewed December 15, 2008

Over the last five years my wife and I meet with the soldiers that I served with in VietNam 1967-68. This Year was Deadwood SD. Franklin Hotel was one of the old Hotels. My wife and I love history and the Hotel is right in town. We stayed in the Willie Nelson room, what a treat. Big bed rooms, large front room, two recliner, With a big screen tv, big bathroom, large bath tub.The food across the street was very good and we got a discount because of our players card. When we stay in Deadwood we will stay in the Franklin Hotel again. Red 1/5 Inf 25th Div.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank red88
Reviewed September 2, 2008

When you hear the word 'historic' to describe someplace, it often means that the place is and rundown. This is not the case with the Franklin. The hotel entrance/lobby area is very nice and gives an authentic feel of a 100 year old hotel. Don't go into a stay at the Franklin expecting 5 star accommodations because you will be disappointed. Our room was small by today's standards, but what you would expect from that era. The location at the south end of main street is excellent. I would certainly trade a newer hotel on the outskirts of town for this hotel/location.

As you would expect with an old building some floors/doors creak. The room doors are still wood and have either original or still very old locks on them. Definitely no key cards here. They give you some coupons when you check in for some free/discounted food/drinks.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tmschmal
Reviewed August 12, 2008

I stayed here with a large tour group in July.I had a room on the 3rd floor.I should call it a parlour as it was huge.The first room had a queen size bed , huge tv and table and chairs plus the wash basin and bathroom.(I found it quite novel to shower is something so old fashioned gut had no problems).My room had a queen size bed , huge closet and table and chairs.The room was beautifully decorated and the bed was a 4 posted bed and very very comfy with enough pillows to keep anyone happy.Had dinner and brekkie at the Silverado across the street-that tasted like rubber but it was edible.Played the slots in the hotel and got very very strong drinks for free as long as you tip the waitress.Overall this hotel is full of charm.I found all staff to be most helpful and please ignore the negative reviews and stay there!You won’t be disappointed!

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank princessvixen
Reviewed January 23, 2008

We liked the price when booking the room. We also liked the location of it at the top of main street. The main floor of the hotel is very nice. Our room was next to John Wanes room on the second floor. We had very little hot water in the shower. The bathroom was very tiny. You had to put one foot in the shower stall while using the toliet. With the steam heater going full blast you could still see your breath in the morning. We had a 1 inch gap under the door between our room and the one beside us.
I was going to stick a blanket in the gap to cut down on noise between the rooms but we needed it to keep from freezing. The next morning we listed as our neighbors passed gas and talked about how much beer they drank the night before. The best part of this hotel is that I talked a friend of mine into staying there on the first of Feburary. So if you see a woman leading a man around by his ear in the lobby the first week in feburary tell Ryan the Rogator he should have known better than to trust what Animal said

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jkak1234
SilveradoFranklin, Director of Sales at Silverado Franklin Historic Hotel & Gaming Complex, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2011

Hi-
We appreciate you writing a review about our property. We always hope that everyone has a pleasant experience when staying with us. Please contact me at 605-578-3670 x:632 and we will see what we can do to make this a more pleasant experience for you.
Thanks,
Jamie

Reviewed September 30, 2007

This place touts itself as a historic hotel so although I was not expecting luxury, I was expecting some ambience. On the outside perhaps the hotel is historic, but the inside is just dumpy. I'm sure that what I paid for one night furnished the entire room from Ikea. This place was a huge disappointment.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank feisty_traveler

Hi-
Thanks,
Jamie

Reviewed September 19, 2007

This hotel is very nice looking on the inside. There is a mini casino just past the front desk and a bar/food area to the left of the front desk. The rooms were all very historical looking but clean. The beds were comfortable. The walls had pictures of many people, such as John Wayne and Shirley Temple. Some of the doors of the rooms had names of famous people that previously stayed there. The bathroom was okay with the old fashioned tubs. There is a lot to see outside, the whole block is filled with restaurants, stores, and casinos. One of the restaurants is owned by Kevin Costner. Not a bad night stay if you want something different from the 5 star hotels. This is a historical hotel, so be prepared to see older furniture and memoriblia.

• Stayed: August 2007