I have stayed at the Historic Franklin Hotel several times and every time has been a wonderful experience. Each time was in a different room.
I'll start with the reservations. I have always booked through their website or called directly. Know that there is a "motorlodge" that is part of their complex. I have always requested the main hotel and have stayed there. Others have had problems booking through other methods, so I would recommend calling them or booking through their own website.
Parking is a bit different for this hotel. Deadwood is an old town and the streets reflect it. Therefore, there was no parking lot built for the hotel; however, there is a parking lot directly across the street (which there is not a lot of traffic) or extra a block away. I have stayed in the height of the season (July and August) and have never had a problem parking. When you check in, tell the desk that you have a car and they will give you a hangtag for your car. There is also a pull up area right in front to quickly unload your bags or persons who can't walk very far. But overall, parking is pretty easy.
Service is amazing at this hotel. I'm not sure about other reviews, because I have stayed here four times and have had amazing service every time. It starts when you enter the hotel and the door is opened for you and you are immediately greeted and welcomed to the Historic Franklin. Front desk has always been great. You are given coupons for gambling, free drinks and breakfast upon check in. You are also given two keys (real keys!) and directed to your room. There is an elevator, but I prefer the historic, old wood carved staircase.
The hotel itself was recently remodeled in the lobby and casino area. The rooms have recently been done also (new carpets and beds) that really complement the antique furniture. I have stayed in several varieties of rooms (two queen beds, one queen and one twin, and a small king suite). Last time we reserved a king room and were upgraded to a small king suite for no extra charge! It was great! All rooms I have been in have had very comfortable beds, clean linens, fine tv's (didn't watch much though) and clean bathrooms. I loved the claw foot tub (water pressure was fine and never have had problems with hot water) and the antique furniture. It was so cool to be able to see how the old hotel was laid out before it was redone (originally many more rooms with shared bathrooms - design of the late 1890's). One review mentioned the old light switches. They are the old style that are original to the hotel (push button light switches) really added to the charm of the room.
The open verandah for happy hour was great - our coupon for free drinks were honored up there just fine. It was a beautiful night to see all the people on the street and have a quiet drink. The sitting room had original furniture and some relics of the hotel displayed (with tags describing the item).
Overall, I would definitely recommend to anyone. Great stay every time and hoping to go back this summer again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Silverado Franklin Historic Hotel and Gaming Complex is located at the Top of Main in the Historic town of Deadwood, SD. The Silverado & Franklin feature over 375 state of the art slot machines, 22-blackjack tables and 5 live poker tables in one of Deadwood's most elegant poker rooms. Callahan's Irish Pub and the Veranda (seasonal) serve all of your favorite spirits as does the lounge at the Silverado. All you can eat Crab and Prime Rib Buffet every Friday and Saturday. Deadwood's Premier Steakhouse - Legends Steakhouse serves breakfast and dinner daily. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Silverado Franklin Historic Hotel & Gaming Complex reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Silverado Franklin Historic Hotel And Gaming Complex
- Silverado Franklin Historic Deadwood
- Historic Franklin Hotel