“Step back in time”

Silverado Franklin Historic Hotel & Gaming Complex
Ranked #23 of 26 Hotels in Deadwood
Reviewed November 22, 2013

What a great way to experience the Old West! Staying here was truly a step back in time. Loved the history of the place. if you're after luxury or being pampered, this is not the place for you. We absolutely loved the nostalgia. Very nice, modern casino in the lobby area, but, the rest is very historical. One can almost feel the cowboys and gunslingers all around them when walking the halls. Also a pretty decent buffet in the gaming complex across the street.

Room Tip: street front historical room is great for viewing the action, plus the veranda is open afternoons fo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 15, 2013

I came here as a side trip to play poker for one night and just see what it was all about. I was treated rudely and given funny looks from the very beginning. It's clear that people here working in all the casinos and shops hate tourists and even though it is equally clear that without tourists it would dry up and die. At the poker table I was subjected to open discrimination. I questioned the dealers incorrect dealing twice, but very nicely, and was told to leave and had security called. They said I was too drunk to play which apparently the local gaming commission is strict on this, but I had had three beers and was winning. It seems to me this is used as an excuse to get rid of people they don't like.

I expected my room at the Franklin to be old and quaint and I am usually not a picky hotel guest, but rooms with inadequate heating are not ok and I would be straight up embarrassed to run a hotel that has cold showers. I will not only never come to this casino/hotel again, but given my overall experience I will never return to Deadwood. I wrote this review to tell the truth about these clowns......Buyer BEWARE

Room Tip: Ask for a hot shower
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank dreamlandsafari
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Booked the Franklin cottage for 3 nights for a group of 10 people. Well 8 people stayed 3 nights and 10 people for 2 nights. Anyway we thought it worked out very good for our group. The only thing we would change is put a full size bed in the bedroom that has a twin bed in & move the twin bed into the one room with the queen they both would fit. It's an old house but we thought it was great for our group. Some might think it's not a place they would stay too old & small I have heard from some people. It had good heat & comfortable beds. Can't think of anything to complain about. The casino is nice the bartenders all were nice & severed great drinks. The fronk desk people that we dealt with all were very good. Susan who I spoke with on the phone was very helpful unlike the gal that did my booking. I'm really glad I spoke to Susan otherwise I may have cancelled the booking. (Thanks Susan!)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank NorthDakotaMexico
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This experience would have ruined anyone's first time in deadwood. It was horrid, the room was about 100 degrees no air conditioner , opened window ....no screen... has multiple wasps in the room. I asked to get another they had vacancies but all the rooms are the same they wouldn't oblige. I am quite sure they knew I would feel the same about another room. It was extremely outdated which is ok but everything was in terrible shape, falling apart! There was no water pressure in the sink. And no hot water in the morning! There was mold in the bathroom and shower. Very small rooms as well! The lobby is very fancy and remodeled but the rooms you truly feel like you went into the twilight zone. I will never stay there again!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Calamity1872
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Well this was disappointing. We were looking for an old historic hotel in Deadwood. The Franklin is a certainly old but it's way over priced for the quality of the accommodations. The hotel lobby and casino on the main floor have been renovated and are nice but the hotel rooms haven't been renovated. There was no hot water one morning, the beds are uncomfortable, and the plaster walls and ceilings are cracked. They did put new sinks and toilets in bathrooms but they installed some cheesy shower stalls. The worst part is that the rooms are really noisy. The doors are so old and out of square that there was literally no sound barrier to the people in the hallway or the room next door. We had a two bedroom suite on the 4th floor and there were 2 or 3 doors to the hallways. I suppose the rooms were originally much smaller and they must have combined them to make bigger rooms.

Someday this will be a nice old hotel when they restore the rooms but, until that happens, I'd suggest the Bullock or the Iron Horse Hotel right down the street.

Room Tip: Call ahead to see if and when the room may have been renovated.
1  Thank K N
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This place is old, and its age shows. In my opinion, that's what makes it a fun place to stay. While the lobby/casino area has been updated, the upper floors have not been renovated and still retain their original character & are in an arrested state of decay. If you like history, and really want to feel like you are staying in an old historic building, then this is the place for you. If you like everything to be pristine and perfectly restored, then you should skip this one.

I would have given this hotel 4 stars, except for one problem. Our room was freezing cold! We stayed immediately following an October blizzard, and the nights were cold. We had only a small wall heater to heat our rooms (we had a 2 room suite), and needed to pile the blankets on the bed and leave the heater running 24/7 in order to keep the room at a manageable temperature and sleep through the cold night. But, for $39 a night, being a bit chilly seemed a small price to pay.

Again, if perfect restoration & lots of amenities are your thing...stay away...you won't be happy here. But, if historic buildings in original condition, the "real" wild west, and comfy bed for a cheap price are your thing, then I would suggest this hotel.

2  Thank Leah B
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed here over the last weekend and I think no I am sure this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at...and I travel weekly....this place is a dump...our room was not cleaned as there were water bottle caps and stuff on the floor tv did not work and well it was a bad bad choice and the hotel should be closed...the staff made me feel like I was a problem being there and when I call the front desk to get repairs done I sat on hold for @ 4 min and never got a call back or anything I had to go down to the front desk where the girl there was to busy playing games on her cell phone... its a dump so beware travelers...

Room Tip: get a different hotel down the block!!!!!
1  Thank Tom H