The Franklin Hotel in Deadwood, South Dakota, remains the center of activity on the main street of Deadwood. Open since 1902 it has had its share of colorful characters stay in their rooms and probably still does. At one time it was considered the most expensive hotel built west of the Mississippi River.
It has been years since I was last in Deadwood. I had some good times in the Franklin during university days so I wanted my wife to see Deadwood and experience the Franklin. I kept explaining to her that it was “historical”. Well, her first impression wasn’t too bad since they turned the entire ground floor into a casino, but by the time we got our entire luggage to our third floor room her impression started to change.
I have to admit that the years have not been kind to the hotel. Photographs of their suites looked nice, but since we were only there for one night having a room overlooking the main street should not be too bad. Things were a little tight in the room. The bed blocked the only closet door from opening, and all the cracks in the wall, along with paintings hung at strange angles only added to the character. The window air conditioner kept the room cold, although a bit noisy. And who could complain about the tiny television, because at least we had television and wireless internet that worked just fine.
I still enjoy old hotels, but I suspect that if we ever return back to Deadwood, that we probably won’t be staying at the Franklin Hotel. Such a shame as it is so “historical”.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Silverado Franklin Historic Hotel and Gaming Complex is located at the Top of Main in the Historic town of Deadwood, SD. The Silverado & Franklin feature over 375 state of the art slot machines, 22-blackjack tables and 5 live poker tables in one of Deadwood's most elegant poker rooms. Callahan's Irish Pub and the Veranda (seasonal) serve all of your favorite spirits as does the lounge at the Silverado. All you can eat Crab and Prime Rib Buffet every Friday and Saturday. Deadwood's Premier Steakhouse - Legends Steakhouse serves breakfast and dinner daily. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Silverado Franklin Historic Hotel & Gaming Complex reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Silverado Franklin Historic Hotel And Gaming Complex
- Silverado Franklin Historic Deadwood
- Historic Franklin Hotel