“Branch House”
Review of Bullock Hotel

Bullock Hotel
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Deadwood
Reviewed November 8, 2008

5th trip to Deadwood. We like to stay downtown. This time we tried the Branch House which is a seperate property Behind the Bullock. Very quiet, nicely remodeled. Stayed mid-week, had the building to ourselves. Parked at the door. Same bennies as staying at the Bullock. Nice large room, comfy bed . As nice or nicer than main hotel. Great staff. Allways have fun in Deadwood. Stop and see the Bullock, even if you are just passing through. We live in So. Minnesota

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lakeviewsrm

Reviewed August 9, 2008

We stayed one night (Mon July 21, 2008) in the BRANCH House (room 217) which is in a nearby building about 1 1/2 blocks away from the Bullock House. Hotel check-in and check-out is in the Bullock Hotel. The Branch House is a secure building (with a keycode to enter). Our room was wonderful - spacious, beautiful mission-style furniture, nice amenities, mini-fridge, very comfortable queen bed. The bathroom was one step up from the bedroom. When we checked in, we received a card for 2 free drinks/per person in Bully's Bar during happy hour (5-7 pm).

The Bullock House faces main street and extends the full block back and ends against Highway 14A/85. This is the busy street that other reviewers have mentioned. This is a highway and it can be busy at times with semi-trailers and others vehicles. There is a cross walk with flashing light at the back of the Bullock Hotel. The Bullock/Branch House parking lot starts here and runs for about 1 1/2 blocks, ending at the Branch House. To use the parking lot (for free) give your name to the attendant who has a list of the registered guests of both hotels. Once at the Branch House, to be safe (during heavy traffic times) you should come back and use the cross walk.

We had a great time. This was our first time to Deadwood. Very quaint town. Deadwood is a great location - close to all the attractions in the Black Hills.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ksufan88
Reviewed July 24, 2008

What a charming Historic Hotel located right in the heart of Deadwood. We had the Roosevelt Suite which was great. A little noisey because it faced Main Street. The bathroom was big, I thought a little dark, needed better lighting. but the entire room was charming and big. The furniture was cute, very comfortable and I enjoyed coffee in the morning in the room. I liked walking down the origional staircase and right outside to Mainstreet each morning. Stay here for sure.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed June 7, 2008

There were a group of 4 of us who took a girls trip out west. We stayed two nights at the Bullock. The first night I got a room to myself because the bookings got messed up. It was the back of the hotel and a very nice room. The next nite we had 2 rooms with a connecting door. I actually prefered the single room because it was much larger. We enjoyed the bar and also had breakfast there, which was very good. People were friendly and helpful. This was also a great time to go because there was hardly any people there!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank lynxette2002
Reviewed May 9, 2008

I spent 3 wonderful nights at the Bullock Hotel. It is old, but everything worked in room 210. I was traveling alone, so the Queen bed, although not the most comfortable mattress was just fine for me.

The hotel location is perfect for touring Deadwood.

The room was decorated with period furniture, carved wooden headboard, old wooden chair at the desk, etc. The furniture was not real fancy, but fit in with the character of the property perfectly.

The shower/tub in the bathroom was a more modern plastic version. The water temp and pressure were good. There was an old sink and tile floor with great character, cracks and stains, but extremely clean.

Two bottles of water and mints were provided complimentary each day.

Breakfast at the hotel is highly recommended. Choices are limited. They have eggs with bacon or sausage and hash browns and a couple of daily specials. Many locals were eating breakfast at the Bullock. They also serve lunch.

I had an omelet one day and French Toast with bacon the next. It cost $6.00 after subtracting a $1.00 coupon given at check in. Coffee is free for guests whether you are dining or not.

Breakfast was so filling I did not even eat lunch after my omelet. Besides filling, it was very tasty.

The staff were all friendly and helpful.

Hotel parking is across the street. I laughed when I read a previous review of how difficult it is to cross the street with fast moving traffic. South Dakota is one of those states (unlike what I am used to) where cars actually stop for pedestrians in cross walks. All you have to do is step off the curb and cars stop even if you are crossing against a red light.

One note of caution. They claim the hotel is haunted. I really, really don't believe in such things, but I admit I had a difficult time sleeping my last night after taking the ghost tour. Silly maybe, but I just wanted to point that out.

The ghost tour is not historically accurate. It is entertaining, but if you want accurate history you need to look elsewhere for info.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
4  Thank przyk
Reviewed December 19, 2007

My husband and I, along with his parents, stayed at the Bullock from 11/18-11/23 over the Thanksgiving Holiday. We booked the holiday special rate that included coupons for $5 off meals, gaming coupons, etc..

Amanda, the Special Events Coordinator, checked us in. She was very nice. Check-in was simple and we received two keys on the old gold keychains. No keycards here.

We had room 201, a king-size bed, n/s room on the second floor. My in-laws had a queen-size bed, n/s room, on the second floor as well.

First of all, I will mention the negative aspects of the room. This was our first trip to Deadwood, so we wanted to stay at a historic hotel. I was a little disappointed when we opened the door to our room. I was expecting a little nicer accommodations based on what we had heard. I honestly felt dirty the entire time I stayed at this hotel. The bed was very uncomfortable and needs to be replaced immediately. The box springs were filthy (see photo). In my opinion, a clean, comfortable bed is the most important part of a hotel stay. There was what looked like bloody mucus on the wall next to the bed (see photo). The toilet handle was broke so the toilet never shut off after flushing unless you removed the lid and manually pushed the rubber stopper onto the hole. I notified Carol at the front desk about it right away, but they did not fix it while we were there. The toilet ran the entire time the last day because we were tired of constantly fixing it. The bathroom was very small and the flooring needs to be replaced. The tiles are dark brown around the edges (see photo), the shower curtain desperately needs to be replaced and the sink is cracked. The heater blew cold air, so we thought we would try the a/c to see if it blew hot air and that didn't help. My mother-in-law said theirs did not work either. The television is very small for the room, a 19-inch, but there are quite a few channels available. There are two windows in the room with old wooden blinds. One window opens to the soda machine in the hall. The blinds did not close all of the way, so anyone in the hall could see into our room. The other window opened to the alley, so we had a nice view into the Celebrity hotel rooms. Be careful not to leave your key in the door at the Bullock since my father-in-law did that a couple of times. Luckily, no one stole anything. Their room was located right off of the elevator on the second floor. The bathroom appeared to be handicap accessible since it was huge with a hand-held shower handle and a high sink, but the room was small.

The gravel parking lot for the Bullock is across the road in the back of the hotel, so be very careful when going to your car since the traffic seemed to be moving fast on the road. There's not much room to load and unload, so keep that in mind. It would probably be best to drop someone off with the bags and then go park across the road.

Now the positives, although I couldn't come up with many. The room is large, there is a coffee maker in it, but they offer free coffee in the bar, so we didn't use it. There is a light in the shower, so it is bright for shaving, there were two bottles of complimentary water and mints left for us in the room each day. We did receive a card for 2 free drinks (well, soda or draft beer) per person in the bar each evening. Anthony (a Indian guy) was one of the bartenders and was nice, although a little stand-offish. They also had some complimentary snacks a few evenings, but they were not very good. The chips were stale and the hot wings were undercooked. I wouldn't recommend them. It's neat to look at the historic pictures placed around the hotel and casino. That's about it for the positives.

The Celebrity hotel next door offers free Nathan's hotdogs to players from 5-8 each night. They were pretty good. We ate breakfast in the bar using our coupons a couple of mornings. It was pretty good, although there are not many choices.

We also played in the casino throughout the week at the Bullock. Watch out for Carol, an older lady with a very deep voice and white hair who works overnight. She's there in the early AM. She is very scary, annoying, to say the least, and very rough around the edges. She stood behind my husband and I almost every time we played talking to us and blowing cigarette smoke in our faces while she was supposed to be working. It got to the point that we were so uncomfortable being around her that we quit playing when she was there.

We spent a lot of time in the Bullock properties playing since they had a Thanksgiving promotion where you received tickets for winning $5.00 or more on a slot machine. They don't have player's cards so we had to notify someone every time we hit $5.00 or more, which became a real pain after a while. The machines have coins, so that is a little inconvenient if you are used to the ticket-in/ticket-out machines. We collected lots of promotion tickets throughout the week since they gave us 60 tickets for each room for staying at their hotel. They gave away a Dell laptop, a Playstation 3, a Kodak digital camera and docking station, a MP3 player, plus lots of other great prizes, about 30 in all. My husband and I had a total of 380 tickets, but we did not win any prizes. There was one young girl who had 3600 tickets so we didn't have much of a chance. That was a little suspicious since the promotion was only for one week and you are limited to 100 tickets for a jackpot. I overheard someone ask her how she got so many tickets and she said that she won a jackpot. Also, the Special Events Coordinator from the Bullock was at the drawing with her fiance and he won the grand prize which was the laptop and carrying case. We thought that was really unfair since the rules stated no employees or signiticant others could participate.

When we returned to the hotel, we mentioned this to the ladies working at the front desk. They called the owner of the Bullock and he said it was O.K. even though the rules clearly stated that employees or their significant others were not eligible to win. It seemed very suspicious. This promotion had to be rigged. How do we know the other winners were not all Bullock employees or their family members? If this is how the Bullock treats their customers, we will never stay or play at any of their properties again. They don't offer any incentives to play at their casino since they have no player's club.

Bottom line, the hotel is sub-par. It is nice to visit from a historical perspective. We stay in hotels every month and I feel we are fair in judging hotel accommodations and I would not recommend staying at the Bullock to anyone due to the many negatives we found while staying there. Stay at the Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express or AmericInn instead unless you don't mind run down accommodations.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
9  Thank COMizzouFan
Reviewed August 13, 2007

This hotel is excellent on all accounts. We made our reservations last minute for a decent price. The bullock hotel is isolated off the main street, but walking distance to all the casinos, bars and restaurants in this wonderful historic city. The service was great, excep they don't have enough on staff sometimes to run things across the street to their sister hotel, but otherwise the 2 room suite was very comfortable, quiet and unique. I would stay here again on our trip to deadwood.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple