“great experience”

Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
Portland, Maine
“great experience”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

From beginning to end, this was a grew experience. The woman who opened the good escorted us up to the hotel lobby, including helping us store our luggage until our room was ready since ewe had arrived early -- she then greeted us each time she saw us. Generally, every staff person we met was friendly and helpful, with one exception in the restaurant, where we put the 10-minute rule into effect and left when no server appeared. We had a 3rd floor king room overlooking Deadwood, which was lovely. Having a porch to relax on was such a bonus so that we could enjoy the view high above the town. The amenities were high-end, but it would have been better for the housekeeping staff to replenish them each day. I do recommend that they find a place to put a fitness center. But it is a lovely hotel where you feel comfortable and pampered.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Mooresville, North Carolina
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We just returned from a 4 night stay at DMG {Deadwood Mountain Grand.} The hotel is beautiful, new, clean and still smells brand new. I felt like we were the first ones to stay here. Everyone was super nice. One of the front desk girls switched our rooms to a Main Street view, and she was happy to do it. The beds are super comfortable, and I loved the toiletries in the bathroom. The hotel entrance is through the casino, but in the back by itself, we loved this because it felt separate from the casino. There was always a doorman at the front door to casino to let you in. Everyone was super friendly and nice. The location is at the top of everything. We ate the 25 cent happy hour wings, they are huge and delicious. You can get them at the bar. Wish we got them every night. We didn't eat in the hotel other than that, but I do suggest Lee St. Station for breakfast, hands down best breakfast we had.
All in all a perfect stay at Deadwood Mt. Grand, can't wait to stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a Main Street view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Manager at Deadwood Mountain Grand Hotel, a Holiday Inn Resort, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind comments. It is so nice to hear we have lived up to your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Ponca, Nebraska
Reviewed June 25, 2012

The hotel and casino are beautiful. The rooms (we stayed in a king standard room) were lovely and the beds very comfortable. Every staff member we encountered was very friendly and accommodating. We ate in the restaurant and the food and the wait staff were wonderful. It was nice to have covered parking at the casino. The short walk to main street made the location perfect. Now, for the negative part. The first morning we hung the sign on our door to have our room serviced. You know it was one of those signs that has "do not disturb on one side and please clean on the other". Well, when we got back to our room around 7:00 pm the room had not been touched. They said that there were about 2 rooms a day that weren't getting cleaned because the staff said the signs which were hung by a ribbon would turn sideways and they couldn't tell if people wanted service or not. Well, they brought clean towels, more coffee and shampoo etc. Second day we were out all day again and left the sign off the door so as not to confuse anyone. We got back and our bed had been made (with same sheets again) and new towels in the bathroom and that was it.. Bathroom had not been touched as my husband had dropped the bar of soap and it was still on the floor of the shower. Also, no new soap or shampoo (guess we were suppose to use the one on the floor of the shower). The used glasses and coffee mugs were still there and had not been replaced by clean ones. The trash had not been dumped. The ice bucket had the liner removed but no new one in its place. No bath mat left in the bathroom. And on and on!!! Then to top it off they were out in the hall vacuuming. Wish they would have spent a little more of their time in our room. Sorry but when we pay $150 a night we assume that part of what we are paying for is the wages of the people who service our room. We go to Deadwood a couple of times a year and have stayed in several of the hotels. This is our first experience like this. We are the type of people who usually don't complain. We just don't return. We own a small business and would be totally embarrassed if our staff provided such poor customer service. I'm not saying I wouldn't give the hotel another try but I would think long and hard about it.

1 Thank scraplady
, General Manager at Deadwood Mountain Grand Hotel, a Holiday Inn Resort, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your candid, honest and open feedback. We value your input and have used it to develop and implement stricter guidelines for housekeeping. Although you experienced sub-standard room cleaning service, we’re encouraged to hear your compliments regarding the beauty of the hotel, casino and positive review of the room accommodations themselves, including the comfort of our beds. Please accept our sincere apologies for service that should have been far greater. We are a relatively new hotel property and with that comes growing pains. We hope you will understand and give us another chance to show you the high caliber of room service that the other 99 percent of our guests experience. Thanks again for sharing your concerns. We look forward to seeing you again.
Prairie Village, Kansas
Reviewed June 25, 2012

My wife, daughters, and I had two rooms here for one night last week. The property is very new and is very nice. All the staff treated us like we were the most important guests we ever had. The valet/bellperson (I think her name was Julie or Sally) parked our car, took our bags up the room, and coudn't have been a better ambassador for the hotel. Our kids enjoyed the lovely pool (although we couldn't believe that other parents allowed their children to climb on the handicap lifts that are available for both the pool and hot tub). The rooms were beautiful, and the soft goods (particularly the towels) were great. Although we didn't gamble, we did have to walk through/near the casino. We appreciated that the casino was either smoke-free or so well ventilated that we didn't stink of smoke after making that walk (unlike some other casino/hotels). If I were to return to Deadwood, I'd definately stay here again. Kudos to this nice additional to Deadwood!

Room Tip: Ask for a front-facing room. We didn't and were stuck with ones facing the rocks. Not a big de...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Michael B
Casper, Wyoming, United States
Reviewed June 17, 2012

The room accommodations were top notch. Julie Ventnam went out of her way upon our arrival as she guided us to the check in area of the hotel. We found out later that she was the supervisor of the restaurant so she went above and beyond what most places would do. The beds were super comfortable and the room was tastefully decorated. The service and the food were great in the restaurant and we would definitely recommend anyone to try it. The whole staff from the valets, the check in personnel, maid service, bar staff, restaurant staff and dealers were very friendly and made our stay a wonderful experience. Our only complaint was that the dealers kept getting better hands than us and took our money but that's why it's called gambling!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view if you want to see the beauty of the hills and Deadwood
1 Thank 14TracyM
Gillette, Wyoming
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We stayed at the hotel on June 2nd and the next day I went to shower and the door was lose. After my shower I opened the door and it shattered into millions of pieces. Good thing is that my step-daughter was in the room and heard my scream. She was able to cover up all the glass so I could step out of the bathroom. Once dressed we called the hotel front desk and they sent up five housekeepers to clean up the mess. Luckily I only had minor cuts but one of the housekeepers did help me with some cuts. After that the manager came up and we talked and completed an incident report, Some one was to call a few days later to see how I was but no one did. They did give me a free night. However when I opened the bill to my charge card they had charged me. So I called the hotel and the one manager that was to call me is no longer working there and the other manager got my bill cleared up. However I have not been offered any other free nights which I think I should have gotten a free weekend. The new manager and no idea what had happened the previous weekend. The housekeepers told me that this was the second time it happened but it happened when the housekeeper was cleaning the door. When I mentioned this to the manager he told me that was not true. MMMMM interesting.

Room Tip: Do not pick room 326 that is where the shower door shattered.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Beth1993
DMGHotelRep, General Manager at Deadwood Mountain Grand Hotel, a Holiday Inn Resort, responded to this review, June 17, 2012
Please know that a letter addressing these issues further and offering our apologies is on its way. We truly regret that it doesn't seem to have arrived prior to this posting. While we are particularly unhappy to hear of the shower door shattering, we are happy to hear that five members of our housekeeping staff responded to help and that a former manager attempted to remedy the situation. Enter communication break-down -- our bad and we'll own it. Please accept our sincere apologies for the incident. We have taken precautions to prevent the same type of accident from occurring for future guests. Your business and feedback are truly appreciated and will be used to improve future operations.We hope that we can soon count you among our valued guests again.
Wentworth, SD
Reviewed June 10, 2012

The hotel is great. The location, decor and comfort level was excellent! The service was top notch. It would be great to atttend a concert ( like the Zac Brown Band) at this place. I was there for the Mickelson Trail Marathon and enjoyed the whole weekend. I would definitely recommend this to anyone visiting the area.

Room Tip: Stayed on the 4th floor..very very nice and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends