“Needs More Attention to Details”

Deadwood Mountain Grand Hotel, a Holiday Inn Resort
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
Reviewed May 15, 2012

My wife and I booked 2 nights here. Upon our arrival, we found the parking garage and were greeted by friendly staff. Can't recall his name, but he showed us how to get into the place. You will want a luggage cart, and maybe a bellhop. You will be guided though the casino to a set of elevators, up to the hotel, then on another set of elevators to your room. No big deal for us, but can be very confusing at first.
We found all staff very friendly and helpful. We played a few games in the casino and walked out with some winnings.
Our room was "Love Everybody" Suite. My wife was very impressed, as was myself. Jerry showed us our room, the balcony, the fireplace (electric with heat), heating/ac controls, etc. He noticed we didn't have any bath robes in the closet, and promised to get us a couple. He showed back in 5 minutes with them.
The Wi-Fi works well.
I don't want to be too negative about this place. It is still new, only operating less than a month. Some minor details do need attention:
-Our room had no bathrobes (Jerry fixed that).
-Our room had no info book.
-No paper/pen to jot down notes.
-There was no call from the front desk asking if our room was OK? Even the smaller chains do this.
-I called about room service for food. I was told there should be a card to fill out and hang on door. Nope.
-When the card was promptly brought up, the choices were very slim for breakfast.
-Bed was very hard compared to what we are used to. Others might find this Ok.
-Single cup coffee maker is average. Need to supply more coffee packets per night.
-We found food in the bar sink, and it was not clean as you would expect a stainless sink to be.
-VERY small fridge, and no microwave.
-Housekeeping needs a check list and adhere to it.
-Aught Six Grill was average.

Again.....Very nice place. I'm hoping things come up to par. This is a refreshing look to a historic, old town.Don't be afraid to give them a chance to wow you.

Room Tip: Our room on the 4th floor provided a great view of the town.
2  Thank davewalkjr
DMGHotelRep, Manager at Deadwood Mountain Grand Hotel, a Holiday Inn Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2012

Let me begin by thanking you for taking the time to let us know how we can improve the newest piece of our property – the Deadwood Mountain Grand Hotel. We value your input and have learned from each of the minor details you pointed out, which were of course, very helpful. It sounds like, overall, you enjoyed your stay – we’re glad to hear about that, as well as about the excellent customer service you received during your visit. As far as the challenges you encountered, you’re right about each item you pointed out that was missing in your room and we are currently addressing those room amenities and have added them to the rooms. Thank you for recognizing that we are a new property and that new beginnings bring operational challenges and opportunities. Please know that your valuable input will serve as a means for us to improve. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Deadwood Mountain Grand Hotel, a Holiday Inn Resort

Reviewed May 13, 2012

We stayed over a weekend. We ended up leaving one day early. My wife has / had lung cancer and we reserved (and stayed in) a wheel chair accessible room. On the good side the room was clean. However, there was no closet! There were no books in the room about the hotel and / or the area. The bed was much to high for my wife's preference and probably too high for a person in a wheel chair. The staff was not rude but did not seem interested in anything. There did not seem to be a manager on site (unless the employees were shielding them). There was lots of noise coming into our room from the hotel. In the morning, the coffee area was dark and not opened well after the posted opening time. Made me very sad. My wife was disappointed that most of the machines in the casino were video - not the moving type.

3  Thank Mike J
DMGHotelRep, Manager at Deadwood Mountain Grand Hotel, a Holiday Inn Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2012

Thank you for your honest feedback and I do apologize that we were unable to satisfy your needs during your stay. With your comments, we are able to improve our operations and service. The ADA compliance is something that we have been focusing a great deal of attention on to ensure we are compliant. The closet is an item that we are addressing immediately and apologize for not having it available to you. We are currently working on our guest directories to include all our outlets and other attractions. We want to make sure we have the most accurate information. The ore cart is a new addition and they are trying to get their hours straightened out. As the manager I do try to be here as much as I possibly can, and if I am unavailable, my employees know how to contact me if I am not on property. I am sorry I was not on site during the day you were here. Having been open for just a month now, there are still things to be improved and your feedback is crucial. Again, I thank you for your review and apologize your stay was anything less than perfect.

Reviewed May 12, 2012

Great place..Great Staff.. Great food! We booked for a quick getaway twice more this year.

Room Tip: We had a balcony room looking out over Deadwood and the Black Hills. How beautiful!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Stayed for 5 nights. A beautiful facility. The suites have a great layout. It's a treat to have a balcony to sit and sip a drink while overlooking Deadwood. Also while we were there some hailstorms had hit the area. It was nice to have piece of mind concerning our car in the covered garage. We ate at the restaurant once and thought it was okay but it didn't compare to Oggies at the Deadwood Lodge in either quality of food or ambiance. The staff for the most part was great. Jerry one of the valets, was extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the area. The desk clerks were very friendly. The only exception was a bartender in the casino who was talking with two female customers and not taking drink orders from the only other two at the bar (us!) My husband and I stood there, moved closer, spoke louder than normal to one another and finally my husband said, 'excuse me can we get a drink.' Half looking over his shoulder his response was, 'Yeah, I'll be with you in a minute.' Nice! Some of the improvements could be an iron in the rooms and an extra blanket in the closet and a few more hangers, a pen and pad and a booklet with hotel information including menu's. Also be warned that when you stay here you park in the garage, unload your luggage, walk down a path to the casino, walk through the casino and take an elevator up to the lobby then take a different elevator to your room. Coming and going gets a little old after doing this several times, especially if once you nearly get to your car and realize you forgot something and know the journey you have to make back and forth to your room. We have stayed in Deadwood eleven times since 2004 and if we return I think we'll go back to the Deadwood Lodge. Conventioners and couples seem to be on equal ground there. We got the feeling conventioners had their rooms ready on check in as well as their rooms cleaned before everyone else at the Grand. Also the restaurants at the Lodge can't be beat as well as the easy access parking. I don't think you can go wrong staying at either of these fine hotels.

3  Thank jackie60363

First of all, thank you for your honest, candid feedback. With it, we are able to improve our operation and intend to address your concerns. We're glad to hear that, overall, you enjoyed your stay. Nevertheless, we, of course, share your disappointment in the customer service you received in the bar and plan to address those issues. As for the specifics you mentioned for hotel room improvements, believe it or not, those suggestions are currently in the works! Having been open less than one month, we continue to perfect our offerings and encourage you to stay with us again the next time you're in Deadwood. Both your business and your helpful suggestions are invaluable to us. We are grateful for both.

Reviewed May 6, 2012

Beautiful hotel, very clean, elegant rooms. The restaurant food was exceptionally well, cooked perfectly to order. Highly recommend staying here, the staff was also friendly and helpful. (TIP: Fill out the breakfast order, and place it on your door the night before, breakfast is served when you wake up...wonderful!)

2  Thank ShellyCluff
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Couldn't have asked for anything else. Well, maybe a trashcan in the bathroom, but everything else was absolutely fantastic. Staff was great, prices were great, breakfast was AWESOME, the bed and the ammenities were perfect. I would highly highly recommend the Mountain Grand.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank likethedirection
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We just spent April 20 - April 22 at the Deadwood Mountain Grand and our hotel room was perfect. The hotel staff were fantastic. The rooms are very high quality of finish. Our experience exceeded our expectations. Staying downtown was a bonus.

Room Tip: Try to book room 415 or one of the suites on the top floor. Super views.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family