“Horrible- stay away!!!!!”

Holiday Inn Express Deadwood
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
Reviewed September 3, 2007

The problems started as soon as we went to check in and I realized the incompetency of the staff. My husband and 9 year old son were scheduled to stay here the night of 8/26 but at 3pm, before the cancellation cut off of 6pm, I called the hotel and spoke to Fitriya who assured me she would switch the date to 8/27 at my request. She assured me she had done it and was very gracious on the phone.

Well surprise surprise I get to the hotel on 8/27 only to be told that we were charged as a no show for 8/26 and did not have a reservation for 8/27. When I asked to speak to a manager I was told by Jake the staff on duty that the manager was not available and she was the only one who could correct the situation. No sympathy, no apology just a nonchalant attitude. I then called the main Holiday Inn number which was even worse. They told me only the manager could help but she was not available until the next day (it was 4:30 on a weekday). They said they would call right back to see if they could help anyway. Well I had to call them back because after one hour they never did, and then only for them to tell me once again they could do nothing about the no show charge at that time. All this while I was standing outside in the heat being swarmed by bees.

Of course at some point my husband got angry and decided to speak to Jake himself. How quickly Jake somehow managed to reach the manager by phone and reserve and comp the room for 8/27 to make up for the no show charge. Guess it takes a man to get respect in this hotel.

Of course, Holiday Inn then emails me days later telling me management gave me a discounted rate for my troubles. Well the "discounted rate" was the same AAA rate I had initially booked. How wonderful. Once again, no apologies.

I would note that the hotel binder in the room states very clearly that the hotel manager is available 24 hours a day. Funny indeed.

Well the room was a decent size but we could not sleep. Although the room was nonsmoking I guess the vents are connected to the casino because the room smelled so bad of cigarettes I might have well slept in an ashtray.

The included breakfast consisted of toast, cereal and coffee and was very limited which was fine because I was very eager to get out of this hotel.

I would strongly recommend that this hotel be avoided for their poor staff and smelly room. In all my years of traveling, and I have traveled extensively, I have never seen such poor quality of staff. I have never had to deal with anything like this ever and I hope no one else has to. If you read the other reviews posted before for this hotel you will see just how bad the staff is.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank mags2198
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Deadwood

Reviewed August 25, 2007

PLEASE READ!!! This was the worst experience ever. My friends and I (16 total) had reservations for 6 months and a confirmation #. When we arrived there from NC, they had given our rooms away even though they had held our credit card #. They were INCREDIBLY RUDE to us and didn't give a darn that we had no where to stay. They made the comment that we'd "take what we give you!" My friend that made all they arrangements had called 3 times during that 6 mth period to double check our arrangements and room type. That confirmation meant nothing to them. The receptionist slung paperwork at us and then called us jerks, etc. Needless to say after that the cops were called because of 16 angry people that have just been insulted. NEVER, NEVER STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank hrwilliams123
Reviewed July 20, 2007

Stayed for 2 nights on our recent trip out west. This hotel has a great location in the town of Deadwood. Room was comfortable and clean overlooking lobby. Continental breakfast was good. Indoor pool was nice but small. Hotel has its own casino as do most other hotels in town.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank bdib
Reviewed July 7, 2007

Great location! Middle of Main Street, walkting distance to all of the Casinos on Main Sreet. We stayed four days and three nights with five adults in what they called a "suite" which was a regular room with two queens and a roll out. Made for interesting situations but we survived, made the best of it and had fun.
Been to Deadwood many times and this was one of our better times, just expected more hotel room for the money and the "suite" designation. Had a large (many choices) continental breakfast if you didn't want to venture out to the two I thought to mention here. Tin Lizzies, all you can eat $4.00 (normal breakfast Items) or the Four Aces (Hampton) a $7.00 breakfast buffet.
Most rooms on Main Street are quaint but not fixed up very well. If they are, the price goes up considerably. Our room was quite, clean, and had a great location. We just expected a two room "suite. " We made do and had a great time. Other than the Hampton (Four Aces) I don't think any hotel in deadwood is more than a Two Star.
Would I stay there again? I would say yes, even though we try to stay at a different place each visit.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank foxtStCloudMn
Reviewed June 28, 2007

My Husband and I recently spent three nights at the Holiday Inn in Deadwood and were disappointed in the service. The staff seemed “put out” with any questions we had. When asking the attendant if there were any rooms available (we wanted to stay in town another day) without looking at the computer she said they were full. I thought….hum, wonder how she knows that. We ended up moving down the street and they (Mineral Palace) were very happy to have us and extremely helpful.
On more than one occasion the one an only elevator was broken. The elevator is just steps from the check in counter. We walked past two attendants on our way to the elevator and stood there some time pressing the button before we went to the counter to report the elevator broken and they both said, “We know we are working on it.” I thought why was I standing there wasting my time if they knew? The stairs are not clearly marked or easy to find. The staff offered no help. We finally found them and began our treck up four flights of stairs to our room.
I will say it is conveniently located, but if you have ever been to Deadwood you know you will not be spending much time in your room and so, for the price it is just not worth it.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelgalMissouri
Reviewed June 21, 2007

We pulled into Deadwood for one night and decided to stay at the Holiday Inn Express. I'm a fan of this chain already and I must say this one was right there as well. Was kind of interesting to see a casino built into a Holiday Inn Express too. The location is perfect. You are right in the center of town and can walk to everything. They give you complimentary parking in a garage down the street since Deadwood is starved for parking. All in all, I enjoyed this stay and can't wait to make it back to Deadwood.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed June 4, 2007

I have stayed at this hotel many times and would say it is probably the best place to stay in Deadwood because the location is great, the rooms are nice and comfortable, and the property does seem very quite. BUT, the company that runs this property has gotten spoiled with high demand over the years - and lost sight of customer service.

I just returned from a stay at this hotel and could not believe the absolute inability of the staff to accomodate simple requests. Just know this: If you make a reservation, confirm it several times - and again when you check in. If you would like to switch rooms (even when others are clearly available) you will not be able to. When you talk to the staff, you will get the feeling they are not interested in helping you. The standard response is: "We can't...."

For those reading this review, I can assure you that I don't have unreasonable expectations. At a hotel with a more professional, better trained staff, you would not not experience the simple hassles I did at this property. Although I would stay here again, I will try another Deadwood Hotel next time.

(The asian man who organized the free breakfast items and appeared to be doing other "odds and ends" seemed very cheerful and was a real bright spot for an otherwise poor staff.)

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family