“Competitive price, clean room - fine for a place to sleep.”

Holiday Inn Express Deadwood
Ranked #15 of 26 Hotels in Deadwood
Reviewed September 26, 2010

Nice room, good location. We like Holiday Inn and belong to their loyalty program. Clean room. The front desk clerk was very nice but she didn't know a lot. In her defense, though, she was new. Also, we asked her a question about AAA benefits we were supposed to get and she didn't know what it was, but she stopped us in the lobby later that night and said she had asked someone else but they didn't know either. I wasn't real surprised and it was nice she went the extra step to try to find out even though I told her it wasn't a big deal. Negatives = 1) no parking near the hotel; they pay for the parking in the city garage, but you do have to walk a block and a half (not bad, but could be annoying in the winter), 2) the keys KEPT demagnatizing; this happened every single time we walked out of the room - very annoying! The clerks kept telling us if you have the key card too close to your cell phone or something, but we didn't! 3) they advertise a "buffet breakfast" but it was the usual Holiday Inn breakfast - not bad, not great - scrambled eggs, toast, dry cereal, coffee, milk, juice, hard-boiled eggs, 4) no fridge or microwave and I was misinformed about this when I called to ask a few days before our arrival.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angelcat3

Reviewed September 13, 2010

We ate the continental breakfast 3 mornings and even though they served the same items all days, it was very good. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel is located in a perfect spot for walking, taking the shuttle or going on the Boot Hill tour. We would recommend this hotel for anyone and everyone.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank jackeill
Reviewed June 23, 2010

In the centre of everything. Lovely hotel with a good breakfeast. Very helpful staff too.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2010

My company offered a discounted price so I disregarded the previous reviews and reserved one night at the Holiday Inn Express. The room was smaller than other Holiday Inn Express rooms I had previously stayed at. The window faced the lobby so we kept the Roman shade closed. The shade was not long enough or wide enough to keep the room dark. There was little water pressure for hot water and so the morning shower was luke warm at best. I mentioned the problem to the one lobby person working that morning, I was told Leah the manager would not be in until after 9 am and there was not a manager I could address my complaint to. I was given an email to contact Leah. Even with the discount, the room was expensive. The previous reviews were right on. If there is a next time, we will visit Deadwood for the day only and will stay in Spearfish or Rapid City.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2010

This is a very standard Holiday Inn Express. Which means it is very dependable and reliable on its room finishes, breakfast, linens and comfort. It is smack dab in the middle of Main Street of Deadwood so walking distance to all the local attractions. The community parking garage nearby is a brilliant idea.

The front desk staff were pleasant and accommodating. But let's talk the management...

We were in town for the Deadwood Mickleson Trail Marathon. I called ahead to inquire about a late departure and was told since I am a Priority Member I have until 2pm. When I talked to the front desk the day before they say "Nope...the general manager says no late departures, even for Priority Club members. " Even though I told them I had been assured of it, they reported that "a note from the manager said no." I asked for the manager to call me, but she did not. Staff did say that I could speak to her at 8 am, but gosh, I'm at the start of a half-marathon at 8 a.m., 13.1 miles away.

This race brings in a lot of people to Deadwood. The general manager's petty, unaccommodating attitude not only destroyed every ounce of good feelings that all hotel guests who were running had about the Holiday Inn Express, but left me with the desire to write the Chamber, Visitor's Bureau, Marathon, and HIE management to complain. A tiny bit of goodwill, allowing for late check out with a small fee, or even free for those who had been assured it, would have completely changed my ranking of this hotel. The grumbling in the lobby of guests who had to shower in the pool room was audible. Trust me, there were not guests lined up to check in on Sunday night.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank agalooga
Reviewed October 23, 2009

We checked in on September 21, 09 for a two night stay. We had stayed here in June of 05 and just loved it. I really wanted the same room and finally managed to get it, but the hotel seems to have gone down. We're Priority Club members with the Holiday Inn Hotel chains and in 05, we stayed here for 10,000 points, now it takes 25,000($180) for the same room. We stayed in the spa suite again, but it was not as nice as before. We really enjoyed the town itself, there is a lot to do and see. I think I've said before that Holiday Inn is pricing us out of there hotels and when you call them about it, they seem very unconcerned. They have a decent continental breakfast, but the staff at this hotel leaves a little to be desired. You have to park a block or so away from the hotel which was really inconvenient if you needed to go anywhere, especially in the rain. We'd really like to go back to Deadwood in the future, but more than likely will not stay at this location.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ForneyNan
Reviewed September 8, 2009

We found the suite very spacious, quiet, bright and for the most part clean. Staff let us check-in early, thank-you..it was a life saver, and they were very pleasant about it. We found the location ideal and could walk very easily to everything. We slept well and had a nice breakfast in the morning. The only downfalls were the price (just a wee bit high- we just stayed at the Wynn in Vegas for $60.00 less per night) and the fridge and microwave area needed to be cleaned. Also, we took the stairs a lot as the small elevator was unable to keep up with demand.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple