“Great Location, Run Down Hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Deadwood
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
Reviewed December 15, 2012

For location you could not ask for better... of course Deadwood has several hotels with good locations. We used points for the stay so the value could not be beat, but if I were a paying customer I might be looking elsewhere for my nights stay. The room itself was not bad and the beds provided a good nights rest, however the common areas needed some work. Primarily the carpeting the the hallways was threadbare and coming up in places. The staff was adequate and the breakfast was HI Express quality.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CTParks
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Deadwood, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear CTParks,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us. We are pleased our location suited you well. I am sorry our property did not live up to your expectations. We appreciate your comments and these will shared with our management team to reconsider improvements needed. While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Deadwood

Reviewed December 4, 2012

We had decided to get a suite over Thanksgiving and was very disappointed with the quality of this hotel. The suite itself is very dated and not very clean. The carpet in the hallway is coming up from the floor and has bubbles all over it just waiting for an accident. My son actually woke up the next morning with a set of falsh eyelashes on his cheek. How gross!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Hofhouse
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The Holiday Inn Express in Deadwood is a great hotel for those that want to be in the middle of the historic buildings nad casinos. This hotel, unlike some others in downtown was built new. It is not a remodled historic building. As with most Holiday Inn Express's you will get a great breakfast to start your day. This hotel is pet friendly and is one of the few Deadwood hotels with an indoor pool. We stayed in the off season on a Wednesday night for 65.00 plus tax.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 4, 2012

It was a very nice location and very clean hotel. Hot tub broken for part of our stay which was annoying. the casino is small with only one blackjack table. the service was slow in the casino with the bartender working both the cashier counter and bartending.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 13, 2012

This property has some very good points. They include a very nice staff and a fabulous location, right in the middle of everyting in Deadwood. Now to the bad. Although we were on a bus tour, we managed to upgrade to a suite, partially in order to get the TV out of the bedroom. Guess where the TV is? In the bed area instead of the nice, but small sitting area. The staff agreed with me that this is not a good arrangement. The property has 78 units on four floors - serviced by one very slow elevator. Try this when a bus load checks in. I don't think this property could be opened in very many places in the country. The windows looked out...into the back part of the hall, not outside. The stairs were at the opposite end of the hall. What happens in case of a fire? Think about it. Then there is the breakfast area. The pictures really do not do it justice. It is small and very cramped. If somebody is making toast, the entire end of the breakfast bar is blocked. The variety was, however, quite good with scrambled eggs, hot biscuits, hot sweet rolls, hot ham and sausage gravy along with the usual cereals, etc. The pancake machine (see my pictures) was useless, however. Even when it 'worked', which it did not very often the three mornings I was there, it put out burnt crumbs in large quantities and often a torn up something came out instead of a pancake. Get rid of that thing and install a couple of do-it-yourself waffle makers. The room was very clean and spacious, with not a hint of smoke.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The hotel is located in the heart of downtown Deadwood so you can park the car and walk almost everywhere. The rooms were clean and well appointed. I didn't like the fact that our window faced the lobby - but we didn't spend that much time in the room anyway so no big deal (there wasn't any noise coming from the lobby). The breakfast was fine - we like to "grab-and-go". The pool wasn't anything special but it was fine - we were the only people taking a swim before dinner. The staff was very friendly and helpful finding restaurants, etc. I would definitely come back here.

Room Tip: Specifiy if you want a room with an outside window.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I called to confirm my reservation they informed me they had two reservations for me and it was too late to cancel one that I would be charged for two I stated I had NOT booked two rooms it was just my husband and I he said there was nothing he could do... called the hotel the manager said she had one reservation for me no apologies nothing

At the hotel they put us in a handicap room the door we did not request one! the was open when we arrived the heat was on 80 the toliet seat was loose told the front desk three days in a row never was fixed I told the manager she could have cared less about any of it! I would not recommend this hotel to ANYONE

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank myra b
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Deadwood, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Dear Myra B,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I am deeply sorry for the overall issues you had during your stay. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Deadwood, SD.

Anthony M