Black Hills Inn & Suites
Average 3/5
  • Restaurant
Deadwood Dick's(Deadwood)
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsblack hillssleep showerbagels and cream cheesetrolley routean older hotelper nighttrolley serviceclean roomsdefinitely stay here againdowntown
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 22, 2010

I and 2 other guys spent 3 nights at the Black Hills Inn. Once we checked into our room with double beds, we laughed as it was very tight quarters, but figured what the hay, we are just sleeping here. We rode motorcycles in town for Deadwood Day’s. I took the windshield off my bike as I did not want it on for riding in the Hills. After riding 600 miles, it was pretty dirty. Later on in the day we got back to the hotel, and house keeping cleaned the rooms, plus my windshield. That was way above and beyond the call of duty. Storms where in the area every night with hail. The owner offered us to park under the canopy to protect the bikes. Again, way above and beyond the call of duty.

They have a pool and hot tub, but never used them, so cannot comment on that one way or the other. They are the last stop on the town trolley, which is a nice feature. Room rates are average for the area.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
BHIS-Manager, Manager at Black Hills Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2010

Thank you for your comments. As you mentioned, we do offer covered parking for bikes on a first come basis. Some guests certainly appreciate this parking.

Reviewed May 26, 2010

I was willing to put up with the small stinky room with no bathtub and water leaks in the hallway so I could have my 2 dogs with me but when the vent fan in the bathroom leaked water down my back as I sat on the toilet , the manager refused to give me another room and scared me in the process I decided to leave with the portion of my room fee he would give me and be glad to sleep safe and dry in my car with my two dogs.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank maggietaos

This day saw heavy torrential rains with wind. What had happened was that some little rain had made it's way into the bathroom vent and dripped onto the toilet and stopped with the severe storm. We feel the guest overreacted and since was in the room for some time, a cleaning fee was charged. The next morning the guest returned with the police to collect some forgotten jewelry which was exactly where she had left it.

Reviewed October 8, 2009

My fiance and I traveled to Deadwood, South Dakota the week of Memorial Day. Our first night was spent in Rapid City as we couldn't make the whole drive in one day (it was 9 hours to Rapid City).

Our stay was at the Black Hills Inn and Suites. Having only been to Deadwood as a child (and we basically drove through)-we did not know what to expect. Although our room was very small, they did provide us with a micorwave and small fridge upon our request at no additional charge. This room was very cost friendly which is why we chose that specific hotel. We do not spend much time in the room so we do not like to spend our money there. The room was comfortable for the two of us, but again-very small. The bathroom was very, very small and we had to manuever around the door to get it shut when you walked in. There was not a bath tub-only a shower. Again, we only sleep and shower there so we had no issue with it! The cost was so low that we able to put up with the confined atmosphere.

I was a little nervous because we were away from all the activity down town and were not within walking distance. Our plan was to take advantage of the trolley system. We were pleasantly surprised to find out upon our arrival that the trolleys were running in full. We parked at the hotel and took the trolley downtown for a small fee. Well worth it! Parking downtown is spotty and the trolley will drop you off at the door of the location you are going to. Our only issue was that we thought the last trolley was leaving for the night, but in fact-it travelled all the way down the street and back up the opposite side. We ended up riding it the whole street when we could have waited 45 mins and caught it across the street. Wish someone would have told us that.

The atmosphere is Deadwood was phenomenal. We watched the re-enactment of the shooting of Wild Bill, watched the trial of jaJack McCall (in which my fiance was a participant), visited the Mount Mariah Cemetry, and also checked out the local gaming establishments.

The best part of our vacation consisted of two different things-one was eating the ribeye steak at The Gem. We are from Wisconsin where beef is what is for dinner most nights. We love steak and we were very hesitant to try steak while in Deadwood. I have to say-it was one of the best ribeyes I have ever eaten. It was so good that we actually went back the next night for it again. The cost was very reasonable!

The number one thing that every person who enjoys nature should do is check out the Spearfish Canyon Scenic Byway. This drive was absolutely beautiful! We started in Spearfish and traveled back down to Deadwood. There are many places to stop along the way for some beautiful pictures. I can not say enough good things about this drive. Well worth it!!

Overall, this was a very romantic and fun filled vacation for us. We were there at a perfect time of year as it was not crowded yet for summer, but everything was open as it was after Memorial Day. The temperatures were a little chilly, but nothing pants and a sweatshirt wouldn't cure. I would recommend this trip to anyone who apprecaites nature and history, but it still has the profile to attract those looking for city things to do as well.

1  Thank urnewhitetail
Reviewed September 29, 2009

I can understand how other reviewers were turned off by this place. You walk in and the lobby is very dark and somewhat eerie. I made reservations last minute as we were supposed to camp that night but the weather didn't look promising. When I called, the gentleman on the phone was very nice. He advised they had many rooms open as it was a rather quiet time for them in Deadwood (Queen bed for $70ish, Mid-June). Got there and checked in very easily. I don't think there were more than 5 other rooms occupied that night. There are two seperate buildings and only about 4 cars in the parking lot come night time. Like I said, the weather didn't look that great. As we were unpacking the car the gentleman that I had spoken with earlier said we could park our car underneath the port infront of the office, as there were predictions of hail. That was greatly appreciated. Didn't end up hailing but it was a great gesture none-the-less.

I can see that the rooms may get loud during the Rally, because I could hear talking down the hallway when there was barely anyone occupying rooms. But simply turning on the window a/c or fan resolves that problem. No fridge in room but a nice pool and hot tub were available. Our room only had a standup shower--no tub. And a rather odd fixture was the sink being placed right next to the bed. Also, the view out my window was of a big steep hill...less than eye pleasing. But for the price, and for a one night stay this place was just fine. Not my top pick of the places I stayed, but not horrible by any means.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2009

My husband and I stayed one night at this dump over Labor Day weekend. I seriously don't know how anyone could find something positive to write about the place, other than the owners perhaps. It's cheap, but there are multiple reasons for that.

First of all, the hotel is entirely pre-fabricated construction. Yes, folks, it's just a big trailer! Each time a door would close anywhere in the building, our room walls would literally shake and the windows rattle. We could clearly hear conversations and the TV in the next room. The room itself was gross dirty, dingy and small. I immediately removed the questionable bedspread upon entering the room and wished I had gloves so I wouldn't have to touch it. The smoke detector was broken and hanging from wires from the ceiling. There were extensive safety precautions highlighted in the guest information booklet provided in the room, which more than suggested multiple problems with crime in and around the hotel. Easy to imagine considering the seedy appearance of the majority of hotel guests.

Finally, the location is terrible. Absolutely the furthest accommodations from downtown Deadwood.

The hotel had charged our credit card immediately upon booking and we were unable to cancel the room. My husband and I were seriously considering forfeiting the money and finding other accomodations but we were tired and figured we could put up with anything for one night. On the other hand, the experience will give us something to laugh about in the years to come.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jo8160

We offer FREE ROOM INSPECTION prior to check-in so there is no reason for a guest to be so dissatisfied with their lodging.
As for crime, Deadwood is lower than the national average, for 2006-2008 the index was about 170-180 while the national average is slightly above 300. Last year it was up a little to 243 but is still below the average. (Google Deadwood City-Data) As for looking "seedy", we would respectfully disagree with this reviewer.
As for construction, the rooms are small as mentioned but well constructed and well insulated. Most of our repeat guests really do not mind the small rooms as they say, they just "need a place to sleep when they come to Deadwood."