“Save your money, time, and energy, don't stay here!”

Black Hills Inn & Suites
Ranked #24 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
Rapid City, South Dakota
“Save your money, time, and energy, don't stay here!”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The owner/management needs to find a more isolated day job far far away from all people because he knows nothing about treating or keeping customers. I paid for a weekly rental and due to a winter storm we lost power for 5 of the 7 paid days. When I went in to discuss staying another week (because I wanted to stay longterm regardless of the outage) but to discuss a discount on the lost days, I got yelled at and got into a heated discussion over it because the manager would not see my point of view or listen to me at all and even charged me for days I didn't stay plus tax. I'm still reeling from this experience so PLEASE do yourself a favor and stay far away from this place. Even if the rate seems reasonable you'll get screwed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Nightengale316
BHIS-Manager, Manager at Black Hills Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
This young lady signed an agreement, in exchange for a greatly reduced rental rate off the daily rate. In addition, for staying the proscribed time set by the state and local governments, she would not have to pay lodging tax. All utilities would be furnished and she would have access to the Deadwood Trolley and the pool and hot tub at no charge.
Unfortunately, the Atlas snowstorm struck and took its’ toll. About 26,000 Western South Dakota inhabitants were without electricity for some days. Deadwood had about four feet of snow. The hotel was without electricity from Friday, 12:30 a.m. until Tuesday, 8 p.m. This person thought we just sat around did nothing. For her information, we did suffer damage, and it did cost for snow removal, the snow doesn’t just jump off the parking lot.
Apparently, she wishes to blame the management for the weather event, subsequent loss of electricity and renege on her signed agreement. According to her, no one should pay rent for the days without electricity even though the tenant retains control of the rental property. Maybe someone should inform all the other tenants in western SD and homeowners that no payments are due for days without electricity.
As for her living in the cold for 5 days, she spent the evening with one of our neighbors once, another night in one of the few hotels that had power another night and then in a hotel room furnished by the Red Cross for 2 days at no cost to her.
Long and short of it, she wanted all reward and no risk. She wanted the rewards of renting long term but also those of nightly motel room rentals. No risks, and did not want to pay full amount due.
According to her, a signed agreement means nothing.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Vermillion
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I really think that the bad reviews for this place are uncalled for. I have kept coming back to this place for two years now and for many reasons. First I will say if you are looking for a 5 star Hilton then just leave the Black Hills. If you are looking for a good deal, quiet place to sleep, peaceful out of the casino style atmosphere, with a nice hot tub and pool as well as a great picnic area next to Whitewood Creek, then this is the place for you. Plus it provides trolley service to downtown Deadwood and it has the Mickelson trail right at its driveway for bike riding or walking right up into Kirk Canyon or down to Deadwood. My work puts me up in a hotel and every time I come to the Black Hills now I stay here. My bed was very comfortable, the curtains remove all light plus there is a switch outside every door that turns the hall light off next to your room if you need it even more dark. There really is not that much light anyways because you are slightly off the beaten path. The only sounds you might here are the deer running around at night......if your window is open. You also have easy access to go to the southern hills too being that the hotel is right on the turn to head south down HWY 385. I love this place and it is the only place now that I will stay in Deadwood. Oh did I forget to mention that at the time they were the best price in town too. A++ to BHI&S

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Brian F
Worland, Wyoming
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

I had stayed here before in the suites, which were awesome. I decided to stay in the hotel part this time as the rooms were slightly more reasonable. Check in was simple and the counter person was friendly and speedy. We then went to our room which was in another building/mobile type structure. The room overall was clean, small and VERY outdated! The kids were creeped out by the room and I felt like I was sitting in the bedroom of a mobile home single wide trailer or a 70's model camper. The TV was a 19" box tv and had at least one channel the kids liked. The beds were hard and springy similar to the motel 6 in Cheyenne, which I won't go back to by the way. The curtains hardly covered the windows and the blazing sun Beemed out from underneath. Not having slept in 24 hours I wanted to sleep. We decided to get our money back and go elsewhere. The counter person was very understanding and gladly refunded my money without any problems.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Loresa B

Travelers are raving about these Deadwood hotels

Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Booked hotel so grandson could play in pool and hot tub. It looked like someone had puked in the hot tub. Did not notice it til we were in it. Very gross feeling. Tried to talk to manager about it. He yelled at me and said the guy we told looked at it. It wasn't even a guy we talked to. It was a woman. There was blood on side of bed. Very disgusting rooms and even worse management. Find a different place.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ronda M
BHIS-Manager, Manager at Black Hills Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
This reviewer is merely out to slam the hotel.
The hot tub is cleaned daily with samples submitted to a qualified laboratory on a weekly basis. The only issue with the hot tub is that some foam pieces from a pool toy were floating in the hot tub.
This reviewer promptly started in by calling me a very bad name and yelling in front of other guests. Actually stated she was going to slam the hotel in a review.
As for the conditions in the room, this is likely made up as it was never mentioned during the 2 days this guest stayed or at checkout. They had kids in the room so any stains on the wall were likely food stains from their kids.
We do not need guests like this and they can find another hotel to stay and slam.
wrongedguest
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We booked our room over the phone for our trip to Deadwood and Mt. Rushmore. The Black Hills Inn is an older hotel, if you are looking for the Ritz this is not the hotel for you. If you are looking for hospitality, clean rooms, great service, free continental breakfast, and indoor pool and hot tub and access to Deadwood via the Trolley at a great rate this is the place for you.

Next visit I will stop here again!!! Thank you for the great service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank wrongedguest
Hillsboro, Texas
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is an older property. The pictures posted dont accurately represent the place. The rooms are very small with no frills. The advertised wi-fi didn't work. The linens were shabby. The continental breakfast was a loaf of bread by a toaster. I can't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jkay32
BHIS-Manager, Manager at Black Hills Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Your opinion is that you did not care for the room but being untruthful is another. Our wi-fi works and our breakfast consists of more than a piece of toast.
We do not try to pass the property off as new or the rooms as anything but what they are. If you walk into a room and take advantage of our free inspection, you could have freely went to another hotel.
The photos do accurately represent our rooms.
Please try to be truthful with your reviews.
Reviewed June 23, 2013

stay somewhere else. room was small breakfast lousey not clean. glad we were there only one night or we would have moved. just not our kind of place. go on into deadwood for a nicer hotel

going back to deadwood but definitely not staying here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rickwieser
We acknowledge that our rooms are small.
The comments relating to the breakfast being dirty and lousey are inappropriate. We offer a continental breakfast with multiple kinds of cereal, milk, oj, bagels, white and wheat toast and 100% Columbian coffee. If you expect steak and eggs for a free breakfast then I guess you will have to go pay someplace else for that.
Again, if you walked into the room and it did not meet your criteria, you are more than welcome to find another hotel with no charges incurred providing no cleaning charges were incurred.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deadwood
Thunder Cove Hotel
Cadillac Jack’s Hotel & Suites
Best Western Hickok House
Best Western Hickok House
#20 of 24 in Deadwood

Been to Black Hills Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!