“Best Place to Stay in Deadwood.....Period”

Black Hills Inn & Suites
Ranked #25 of 26 Hotels in Deadwood
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I really think that the bad reviews for this place are uncalled for. I have kept coming back to this place for two years now and for many reasons. First I will say if you are looking for a 5 star Hilton then just leave the Black Hills. If you are looking for a good deal, quiet place to sleep, peaceful out of the casino style atmosphere, with a nice hot tub and pool as well as a great picnic area next to Whitewood Creek, then this is the place for you. Plus it provides trolley service to downtown Deadwood and it has the Mickelson trail right at its driveway for bike riding or walking right up into Kirk Canyon or down to Deadwood. My work puts me up in a hotel and every time I come to the Black Hills now I stay here. My bed was very comfortable, the curtains remove all light plus there is a switch outside every door that turns the hall light off next to your room if you need it even more dark. There really is not that much light anyways because you are slightly off the beaten path. The only sounds you might here are the deer running around at night......if your window is open. You also have easy access to go to the southern hills too being that the hotel is right on the turn to head south down HWY 385. I love this place and it is the only place now that I will stay in Deadwood. Oh did I forget to mention that at the time they were the best price in town too. A++ to BHI&S

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Brian F

Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

I had stayed here before in the suites, which were awesome. I decided to stay in the hotel part this time as the rooms were slightly more reasonable. Check in was simple and the counter person was friendly and speedy. We then went to our room which was in another building/mobile type structure. The room overall was clean, small and VERY outdated! The kids were creeped out by the room and I felt like I was sitting in the bedroom of a mobile home single wide trailer or a 70's model camper. The TV was a 19" box tv and had at least one channel the kids liked. The beds were hard and springy similar to the motel 6 in Cheyenne, which I won't go back to by the way. The curtains hardly covered the windows and the blazing sun Beemed out from underneath. Not having slept in 24 hours I wanted to sleep. We decided to get our money back and go elsewhere. The counter person was very understanding and gladly refunded my money without any problems.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Loresa B
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Booked hotel so grandson could play in pool and hot tub. It looked like someone had puked in the hot tub. Did not notice it til we were in it. Very gross feeling. Tried to talk to manager about it. He yelled at me and said the guy we told looked at it. It wasn't even a guy we talked to. It was a woman. There was blood on side of bed. Very disgusting rooms and even worse management. Find a different place.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Ronda M
BHIS-Manager, Manager at Black Hills Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

This reviewer is merely out to slam the hotel.
The hot tub is cleaned daily with samples submitted to a qualified laboratory on a weekly basis. The only issue with the hot tub is that some foam pieces from a pool toy were floating in the hot tub.
This reviewer promptly started in by calling me a very bad name and yelling in front of other guests. Actually stated she was going to slam the hotel in a review.
As for the conditions in the room, this is likely made up as it was never mentioned during the 2 days this guest stayed or at checkout. They had kids in the room so any stains on the wall were likely food stains from their kids.
We do not need guests like this and they can find another hotel to stay and slam.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We booked our room over the phone for our trip to Deadwood and Mt. Rushmore. The Black Hills Inn is an older hotel, if you are looking for the Ritz this is not the hotel for you. If you are looking for hospitality, clean rooms, great service, free continental breakfast, and indoor pool and hot tub and access to Deadwood via the Trolley at a great rate this is the place for you.

Next visit I will stop here again!!! Thank you for the great service.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank wrongedguest
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is an older property. The pictures posted dont accurately represent the place. The rooms are very small with no frills. The advertised wi-fi didn't work. The linens were shabby. The continental breakfast was a loaf of bread by a toaster. I can't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jkay32
BHIS-Manager, Manager at Black Hills Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Your opinion is that you did not care for the room but being untruthful is another. Our wi-fi works and our breakfast consists of more than a piece of toast.
We do not try to pass the property off as new or the rooms as anything but what they are. If you walk into a room and take advantage of our free inspection, you could have freely went to another hotel.
The photos do accurately represent our rooms.
Please try to be truthful with your reviews.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

stay somewhere else. room was small breakfast lousey not clean. glad we were there only one night or we would have moved. just not our kind of place. go on into deadwood for a nicer hotel

going back to deadwood but definitely not staying here.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Rickwieser

We acknowledge that our rooms are small.
The comments relating to the breakfast being dirty and lousey are inappropriate. We offer a continental breakfast with multiple kinds of cereal, milk, oj, bagels, white and wheat toast and 100% Columbian coffee. If you expect steak and eggs for a free breakfast then I guess you will have to go pay someplace else for that.
Again, if you walked into the room and it did not meet your criteria, you are more than welcome to find another hotel with no charges incurred providing no cleaning charges were incurred.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed for three nights and only intended to stay one. Because of the great value in the room cost, I decided to base in the Black Hills Inn & Suites as I toured the Black Hills on my motorcycle. The staff allowed me to park my motorcycle under the overhang on the front lobby. Excellent place for a bike. The room was clean and comfortable - especially for the cost of the room. Can't say enough about the friendliness of the staff. Excellent in helping me plan my sight seeing activities. Great recommendations on restaurants and shopping areas also. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo