“If I could give this place a ZERO I would!”

Black Hills Inn & Suites
Ranked #24 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
Loveland, Colorado, United States
“If I could give this place a ZERO I would!”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Long story short...Joe the "owner" is very rude!! After reading all the recent comments, I am not the only one who had a yelling episode with him! Last time I checked I AM the customer. Also it seems that Joe only comments back to the bad reviews with excuses that shows how much of an angry man he is! I had mouse droppings along with dust and hair in the top drawer and nothing was done about it!!! Even after I had told him, the room was made up the next day but the drawer was not cleaned! I even brought him in there upon check out and he still had an excuse!! "oh...how could a mouse get up there" Well Joe....mice are sneaky and can get anywhere! I do have to say the young lady who I spoke with on the phone and checked us in when we arrived was nice. Her name is Lancy or Lacey...something like that. My husband and I went to Deadwood to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary...only to be disappointed by our choice of motels! I really wish now I had read the reviews here before we booked!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Nixxy01
BHIS-Manager, Manager at Black Hills Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
This guest proved to be extremely difficult and has her own reality.
She woke me up at 1:00 a.m. in the morning, extremely rude and demanding coffee for her room when no where do we advertise coffee pots or coffee in our standard rooms. This was the first time in five years that we have been here that someone has done this.
Next morning, she made the complaint as she stated but did not show anyone. At checkout, after the guests showed us exactly what they were looking at, we took and examined the material microscopically and determined the material to be three very small pieces of debris and not what is stated in her complaint. There were also a couple hairs but sorry to say, drawers in even the best hotels do not get cleaned every use.
If this guest expects five star treatment, next time she can go pay for five star treatment.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Custer, South Dakota
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This is by far the worst experience I have EVER had when staying at a motel. We had locked the deadbolt on our door for the night and my daughter had left some things she needed in the car. She tried to leave the room but the deadbolt would not budge. We tried for quite some time to open the deadbolt but it wouldn't budge. She removed the screen from the window which broke in the process and went to get help. We had attempted to call the front desk at least twenty if not more times and never got an answer. I tried calling the phone number for the hotel and never got an answer. We had to have a police officer call to see if he could help us. He had to climb through the window into the room and he attempted to open the deadbolt but could not get it to budge. He felt this was a safety/fire issue and he was able to get a number to contact the night manager or owner who had to climb through the window, remove the deadbolt with a screwdriver so we could get out. He was extremely rude to us about the incident and instead of appologizing to us for the terrible experience, he blamed us like we had done something to the deadbolt. I get home and find out they have charged $20.00 additional dollars to my credit card for the screen which I fully intend to dispute. On top of all that....the price I was quoted for the room when I had called approximately two weeks prior was not what they charged. They charged almost $20.00 over what I was quoted....For a little extra money...I recommend finding another motel that isn't so outdated and far from town and the manager isn't rude and disrespectful to clients.

3 Thank Christine M
BHIS-Manager, Manager at Black Hills Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Guest pegged this right as a disaster stay. Guests were extremely intoxicated, came in at 3 a.m. and managed to jam the deadbolt in the extended position. With this, they managed to disturb many other guests with their loud voices, forcing and pounding on the door, which likely is the cause of the jammed deadbolt. Additionally, they managed to break the screen to shreds although the screen is easily removed by releasing two pins. Guest was so intoxicated, she was unable to show the manager how the door worked.
Guest was charged the rate that was quoted to them over the phone. In addition, they were charged only $20 for screen replacement.
For some reason, this guest believes it is OK to become intoxicated, damage property, disturb others and assume no liability for their actions.
Guest is welcome, behaviors such as this are not welcome and will not be tolerated.

Travelers are raving about these Deadwood hotels

Forest
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Cannot tell you how much I loved this place. The suite was more than I could have asked for. Lots of living area; including couch, recliner, flat screen tv. Kitchen was equipped with everything one needs on vacation. The bed slept great. Everything was clean, comfy and cozy.
What made it especially great is you could walk outside to the picnic area with a stream running next to it, sit in the swing and just enjoy the beauty of it all. Or you could hop on the trolley which runs every 20 minutes and head into Deadwood for shopping, entertainment and some great food and fun!! No driving necessary!! It is simply a perfect set-up.
And after a night of festivities, it was nice to wake up and walk out to the quaint, inviting breakfast area, where the owners were very helpful and would offer any info you needed for the surrounding area.
Oh! The pool and hot tub were definitely a plus, also.
Will be returning without a doubt!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Castaic, California
Reviewed July 13, 2012

My family and I booked the Mini Suite for 3 nights over the phone. We spoke with the owner/manager and he was very helpful and polite. Upon arrival we got the exact room we booked, complete with mountain vistas and a tranquil creek complete with hungry brown trout. We liked it so much we added another night to our stay so we could enjoy the spacious and clean accomodations and more of the awesome Black Hills. Its all non-smoking and even though we like to gamble some, it was nice to know there were not slot machines and drunken players to deal with when getting some sleep.

We were also keen to notice that this is a biker friendly resort that even includes bike cleaning rags in the lobby to dry off your ride after using the hose to wash off the dust from a day riding in the beautiful roads surrounding the area. The next time we visit (oh yes there will be a next time) we are ditching the family truckster and bringing our Harley to hit the countless roads that all seem to be just down the street from the Inn.

There is a nice picnic area and a big swing by the creek as well. The resident rabbit came over to be petted just like a family dog and was all to happy to be picked up and rubbed behind the ears.

The only bump in our smooth ride was issues with internet connectivity after a big electrical storm the previous night. Joe was all to happy to reboot the router and get us back online so we could continue planning our trip to points west.

If you have a family or motorcycle and want a clean quiet place to stay near Deadwood, look no further!

Cibolo, Texas, United States
Reviewed July 12, 2012

After spending a month on the road and sleeping in over five hotels with two others, I was relieved to find my suite next to the creek nice, very clean and comfy. The suite with separate rooms cost me the same as outdated and not-so-clean double hotel rooms, so I was pleased with the good price and great amenities. I did check out the regular rooms and found them appealing. The decor of the hotel is sparse but homey. The indoor pool and hot tub was nice.  Wifi is iffy but no fault of the hotel. It's in a valley surrounded by  mountains, which made the stay nicer, btw. The staff was helpful and friendly. What caught my attention at breakfast was the friendly atmosphere and the warm conversations between the owner and customers, some of whom were regulars,  return visitors.
I loved the location because it wasn't in the middle of the Deadwood party. You could easily travel to the casinos on the trolley that came through about every 30 minutes. The inn is literally on the edge of Deadwood conveniently located on 385, the road to Mt Rushmore and many nearby parks/places, and not far from the scenic Spearfish trails with its waterfalls. The inn is also around the corner from an often overlooked quaint mining town, Lead, tucked on a mountainside.
Black Hills Inn is not a fancy hotel so don't stop if that's what you're looking for. It is a small, cozy family run hotel offering clean, comfortable, affordable rooms in a friendly place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed July 10, 2012

The room was the size of a shoe box. The shower is similar to a camper trailer shower stall. The mattress needed to be replaced, sagged in the middle. The breakfast consisted of bread, bagel, cheerios cereal. We had to walk to another building to get ice from an ice machine. After driving around the Deadwood / Lead area we noticed several other hotel/motel's that had a lower price and nicer facility. We did not get what we paid for. You do not get what you pay for.

1 Thank S L
We always invite guests to an honest inspection of the room and if the room does not suit their needs, they are free to go elsewhere without incurring any charges as long as they follow procedures.
We would also ask the guest which hotels they saw lower prices, there is generally advertising around the area but some stays the same for all year and does not reflect the season.
Breakfast always has the choice of three cereals, white or wheat toast, 3 or 4 choices of bagels, various spreads, milk, oj and columbian coffee. Last we checked, if one went into a restaurant and ordered a similar breakfast, there would be a cost.
Regina
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Read the other peoples reviews before I am writing this, and have to agree with many of the average to negative ones. The beds were clean, but that was about it. The carpets were dirty, and the bathroom questionable. I found the staff to be less than friendly, the breakfast poor. Seriously needs to be updated. The TV is of no value whatsoever, all you can watch is Deadwoods history. Fairly reasonably priced, but check around,you can do better. I would stay here again, but only if there was nothing else available.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Beautifulbluewaskesi
, Manager at Black Hills Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
We question the validity of this review since there is no such TV channel on our cable system or likely in Deadwood. Every room has expanded cable listings available. Although ours is an older facility, we maintain high standards of cleanliness and safety for our guests. We have many thousands of satisfied guests and many repeat guests that have been satisfied with their stays.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deadwood
Thunder Cove Hotel
#12 of 24 in Deadwood
Deadwood Dick's
Deadwood Dick's
#20 of 24 in Deadwood

Been to Black Hills Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!