“Great resort, great value!”

Deadwood Gulch Resort
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
ND
“Great resort, great value!”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My wife and I go to Deadwood at least once a year and stay at the
Deadwood Gulch almost exclusively. We do this for the price and value. Breakfast is included in the room rate and the restaurant is great. The rooms are clean, the staff are friendly and helpful. The Deadwood trolley stops by and delivers you to downtown Deadwood in minutes without having to drive and find a place to park.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Murphysboro, Illinois
Reviewed August 27, 2013

What a nice complex. The room was very clean and convenient to pool, hot tub, ice machine, etc. The trolly stops outside the front door to take you anywhere downtown. No need to move your car. We did not have kids with us, but the adjoining amusment area would be great. We played a game of miniature golf just because it was there. A nice area to sit outside and read a book or have a drink in the evenings and a nice casino where they meet you with a glass of wine or soft drink as soon as you sit down. All staff members were very friendly and helpful. No microwave in the room , but I was able to pop some popcorn in the casino area. We would definatly stay here again.

2 Thank Brenda B
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed one night at the Deadwood Gulch Resort on our drive through the Black Hills. The rooms were spacious and clean if not fancy (rubber duckies were a nice touch!), and we loved the indoor hot tub- perfect for relaxing after a long day of driving. The only reason I'm not rating the hotel higher is because of the persistent smell of smoke, even in our non-smoking room. I assume it was coming from the casino, but both my husband and I noticed it as soon as we stepped into the hallway. We were there the weekend after Sturgis, but there were still quite a few bikers around, who woke us up early revving their engines. The free breakfast in the restaurant was really good and the service was great. We didn't get a chance to take advantage of the trolley service into downtown Deadwood, but thought that was a nice feature, too.

1 Thank RobinH81
traveler1294, General Manager at Deadwood Gulch Resort, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit. It will also make you happy to know that as of Nov. 1st we will be a non-smoking hotel. The great thing about our property is that those who like to smoke can still get a room with an outside door so they can smoke just a step out of there room at anytime. The smoke in the wing you stayed in just seems to have overtaken it so, we are going to fix the problem and create a wonderul place for both those who smoke and those who don't. Thank you for your reveiw. It's through customer feedback that we continue to move forward. Come stay with us next time so we can show off changes.
Best to you and your family,
Tracy
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Nice rooms always clean. No pool but there is hot tub. Restaurant is excellent. About 1/2 mile from downtown deadwood but there is a trolly. Employees are very nice and helpful. They have parking for those with a trailer hauling a motorcycle , snowmobiles or atv's's.

Room Tip: Make sure you take the historical tour that uses buses and explains deadwood history. You will miss...
1 Thank Rex G
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We rolled into Deadwood around 4 or 5 p.m. with no idea of where we were going to stay. After taking a look-see of the area, we pulled into the parking lot of this hotel while I checked Tripadvisor online to look up a couple of motels we had passed. We felt this hotel had a little more to offer once we looked inside, so decided to stay. Big pluses were the little casino (though we are not big gamblers at all), but most especially the free made to order breakfast which we were able to eat while seated on the deck in back, overlooking a nice creek and natural area! It's conveniently and quietly located just about a minute's drive from the busier section of town. We would not hesitate to return to this property.

Room Tip: Get one overlooking the creek in back if you can.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mlbcruiser
Woodinville, Washington
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The rooms were decent - relatively clean, spacious, and functional. We didn't use the TV at all so I can't comment there.

The restaurant was excellent. We ate several meals here both breakfast (amazing for being included with the room rate) and dinner. All the food was fresh, hot, delicious, and fast.

The other public areas of this place are substandard. I get that it's a small town, but the casino in this hotel was a joke - with one blackjack table with a bell to ring if you want a dealer. Overall - don't come here if you're looking for a good gambling experience in a hotel. Not expecting vegas but if you say you have a "casino" then you need to step up your game.

The hot tub has potential, but the water was extremely foamy and had many of us wondering how well the tub and water is maintained. There is no pool. Other common areas are somewhat dirty and poorly maintained, for instance the icemaker on the second floor that went "kaput" on day 1 and was still inop on day 4.

There was a nice patio area out back from the casino, with a small lawn and overlooking the creek. That was a nice touch.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Green Oaks, Illinois, United States
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed for 5 days (actually 4) during the Sturgis motorcycle rally and I can't speak highly enough of our experience. We have stayed here several times in the past when we were lucky enough to get a reservation. Also, we have many friends who have stayed numerous times before and they all feel the same way. Our room was spotless every day. The "creekside" rooms back up to a delightful babbling brook that comes down from the hills surrounding Deadwood. Listening to the water lulled us to sleep every night. The breakfasts and dinners provided at no (or minimal) cost were very good. The overall quality of the restaurant was very nice as well. Their bakery makes the most wonderful donuts I have ever had! The hotel staff put these out for a late night snack at no cost to the guests, just another example of the hospitality one receives while staying here! Most of all, the service received from every member of the staff was exceptional! Everyone seemed so willing to go "above and beyond" no matter what the need was. Two examples....I purchased a buffalo skull that I needed to pack on the back of my bike to get it home, 1,000 miles away. The gentleman who ran the restaurant (he may have been one of the owners but I'm not sure) offered whatever I needed to wrap my purchase and secure it to the bike. He provided duct tape, scissors and heavy duty garbage bags to help me out. I asked if I could pay for anything as I had used quite a bit of his supplies, but he refused my offer. I tried again and again, but each time he answered I did not need to pay for anything, he was happy to do it. The other example that stands out happened as we were checking out. It became necessary to leave for home a day early. As anyone who has been to the Blackhills during the rally knows, rooms are paid in full many months in advance. We didn't even ask if we could get a refund for the day we would not be using. That's when Alice, the Guest Services Director volunteered that she would probably be able to rent out our room for the single night and then be more than happy to refund our money. I can imagine that many hotels would tell you the same thing, rent the room again and keep your original payment anyway! I have stayed in many places all over the world, both large chains and little independents. I can assure anyone who reads this that our experience here was very nice and you would be hard pressed to find better service anywhere!

The service here is exceptional.nners were very good

Room Tip: I would say the "Creekside" rooms would be the nicest simply because of the stream flowing...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends