“Beds as hard as the floor, will not stay here again”
Review of Cedar Wood Inn

Cedar Wood Inn
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Deadwood
Reviewed September 1, 2010

My husband and I were booked for three nights. the morning of what was to be the third night we went out sight seeing. We are not complainers, but talking with each other we both felt that we couldn't spend another night on those beds. Jackie in the office said that the beds were new and offered to let us in another room . We looked at that room but it had the same style bed. Two days of having to stand in a hot shower to work the kinks out from those beds was enough. The place is clean and nice. But those beds make in a very unpleasent experience.....Will not return....Do not recommend!!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 11, 2010

What an awesome little hotel! It is landscaped beautifully and very well kept. Our room was clean, cute and comfortable! Not much for continental breakfast, but those cinnamon rolls are to die for!!! We used the trolly to go downtown and so the location was perfect for us, as we didn't want to stay in the middle of all the hustle/bustle of the casinos. I highly recommend this quaint little place!!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2010

We are headed back to cedarwood inn in seven days,it is a wonderful place to stay.Gordy and Audrey are very,very nice people.They run a top notch place,can t wait to get back there.It is home away from.If you are not happy at Cedarwood Inn,you are not a happy person.See you all in seven days. As always,a happy,happy camper

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2009

We were passing through Deadwood and decided to stop for the night. We priced up pretty much every major hotel in town, to find the prices were incredibly expensive, you could barely get a small motel room for the price of a luxury suite in Denver. However, that appears to be standard to Deadwood so we're not holding that against the Cedar Wood, which was about $25 cheaper than similar motels. I'm not sure why they think the town is worth 200% more than the rest of the area, it's not that great and not worth staying more than one night, but I guess they can charge it because a lot of places were full (this was a Saturday).

Cedar Wood Inn was well presented, a bit kitsch, but the rooms were nice and clean and it was only a ten minute walk to Main Street. We were on the upper floor next to a social area, and the walls are made of paper, so we could hear everything everyone was saying. Also, we could feel every vibration from the next room, especially when they banged against the wall, it felt like we were being pushed in the back. I asked the people to keep their voices down and they were fine about it, once they had gone to bed it was a very peaceful night's sleep, very little traffic noise.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Betjeman
Reviewed July 18, 2009

We stayed two nights, and it was fine. it's not on the main drag, but the trolley stops right at the hotel.

Plusses: we had a ground floor room and parked our car right outside the door, the double queen room was quite spacious, and the staff was nice.

Minuses: they need serious work on their "continental" breakfast. a few tired muffins, a pitcher of OJ, and coffee (not even hot water for tea) with dry creamer. ouch. also, I sat on the carpet for a brief period of time, and got itchy--I'm not at all sure it was as clean as it could have been.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank RoamATW
Reviewed January 4, 2009

The first time I stayed at this hotel was in the fall of 2005 and it was only because it was the only hotel with rooms open when we got to town. My friend and I were pleasantly suprised by the little Cedar Wood. The outside of the hotel is well kept and beautifully landscaped for such a little place, and the big neon palm tree makes it easy to find :). The rooms were spotless and clean every day and there was fresh orange juice, coffee and cinnamon rolls available in the office every morning. I also had a problem with the brakes on my car and the owner was very helpful in giving me advice on the situation and looking at the car. In 2007 my husband and I returned to the Cedar Wood on a getaway trip to the Black Hills and once again found a spotlessly clean hotel with great hospitality. There is nice parking only for the Cedar Wood in the back and the trolley stops right out front every so often. It is a few blocks from the main part of town, but you can easily walk or ride the trolley. Probably the only thing bad I could say, and it's not really bad, is the single rooms (doubles are pretty average size) are TINY, nice, but tiny! This is a great hotel with up to date, clean and affordable rooms and nice beds and I would choose it over the expensive suites at the Franklin any day.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 27, 2008

My family and I stayed at the Cedar Wood Inn in Deadwood, South Dakota for one night while passing through the area. The family that owns the Inn were great. They were friendly and gave us great advice on where to eat and what to see in Deadwood. The Inn was charming and the rooms were immaculently clean. The location was a small walk to the main street in downtown or you could get a lift on the trolley that stopped near the property. While our stay was short, it was certainly memorable and I would recommend this Inn to anyone traveling through Deadwood!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family