“Too expensive for what you get.”
Review of Cedar Wood Inn

Cedar Wood Inn
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
Bismarck, North Dakota
“Too expensive for what you get.”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This place is clean, I'll give it that. The rest of the story, rooms are very small. 24 is anyway. The bed is awful. My wife and I kept finding ourselves sunk into the middle. Very soft, low quality beds. The facial tissue is worthless. Blow your nose in your hand, it's going to end up there anyway. The toilet tissue is very low quality, bring your own. As for the "Continetal Breakfast", forget it. The coffee is weak, the "rolls" are small white, doughy, gummy, almost wet rolls that could only be described as gross. There was also a bran like muffen in the mix but I passed on that. What ever happened to at least serving toast? Can't say as I'd stay here again even at a much lower price.

Room Tip: This place has a fair amount of traffic noise as it's located right on a busy street.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I was disappointed in this hotel after reading the positive reviews, so I felt compelled to give my opinion. Our room was not around the cute courtyard shown on their website, but was in a separate building off the parking lot, attached to a 3 car garage that must be owned by the hotel owners. The positives: clean room with basic hotel amenities, hotel was quiet, off the main drag and didn't have a casino which is what we preferred. The negatives: the room with 2 queen beds was very small for our family of 4 and all our bags. The 70's decor is outdated rather than retro. The beds were uncomfortable and the towels were very worn. Our room's window opened onto the parking lot driveway where our car was parked.
I was happy to get a lower rate at check in than I was quoted after I mentioned the advertised price on their sign out front, however I didn't find the gal at the counter overly helpful or friendly and I'm not sure if she was an owner or not.
Hoping that my comments will give someone else an accurate account if looking into staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room around the courtyard.
Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Gordon M, Owner at Cedar Wood Inn, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
I am truly sorry your experience was unsatisfactory. We do have a sign posted on the front of the main complex encouraging room inspections of our units. Had you mentioned to us you did not like your room location and size we would have gladly moved you to a larger courtyard area room. Please understand my wife and I strive to address concerns of our guests and to make their stay pleasurable, but are unable to when our guest do not bring it to our attention.

Best regards,
Gordon Mack
Naples, Florida
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Hmmm.... not sure what all the high ratings are all about for this place. I'm going to start with the bottom line... this motel has $50 rooms but they charge $100 for them. Seriously... we were in room 25... this is not a big room... it consists of a queen bed (a very cheap TOO SOFT mattress), 2 padded desk chairs, a mounted flat screen tv, and a tiny but efficient bathroom. That's it folks... no fridge, no table, no comfy chairs or couch... and for sure, NO VIEW. Did I say TINY room? The room seemed very dark with very small windows, the main one blocked by an A/C unit. C'mon... what's up with all the raves about the owners? I'm not there for socializing with them, ok? Apparently it's very pet friendly... lots of dogs in the central common area. Seriously... I want a GOOD motel room! This one did NOT qualify. And... gotta be honest... Deadwood seemed like just another tourist trap wanting my gambling dollars. If I wanted Vegas, I'd go there. I suppose if you're a Sturgis biker who's been on the open road for a few days, this place might seem like heaven... but sorry... I'm soooo not impressed. It was barely OK... enuf said. Would NOT recommend this to any of my friends... just say'n.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank florida_ratingsguy
Gordon M, Owner at Cedar Wood Inn, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
We are sorry the Cedar Wood Inn did not live up to your expectations. My wife and I for 17 years treat our establishment like home because it is home for us and try to make it feel like home for our traveling guest. We have taken your concerns seriously and will address them the best way possible.

Gordon Mack
Owner
Galesburg, Illinois
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We made our reservation for 2 nights far in advance and were so glad we chose this spot. We had never been to the area before and knew nothing. If you stayed downtown, you would have problems with parking and noise.... The Cedar Wood Inn was clean, quiet and the owners are delightful. Yes, the rooms are small by todays standards, but very comfortable with everything you need. They seem to really care.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We looked at stayed in the center of town, but the first few hotels we went in to were a little noisy and stunk of smoke. We drove a few minutes out and found this little gem. The owners were delightful and they do take care and pride in the hotel. We stayed in a room separate from the hotel - very large room with a huge bathroom. The rooms were clean and very quiet, considering they were on the main drag in to town. The owners were very accommodating with any requests we had and a wealth of information. Highly recommend this over other hotels in the area.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed August 2, 2012

A very nice privately owned hotel. Extremely clean and a very friendly and helpful staff that made for a great experience. Great to see a privately run motel can still flourish! I would suggest this to anyone that wants to try something out of the corporate norm, this is a 50/60's style motel but updated with flat screens, wifi and carefully maintained to great standards.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank futbolcoach
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed August 1, 2012

This was a very nice place to stay. The condition of the property and the rooms indicated a great amount of care and pride of ownership went into upkeep. I have read other reviews about how friendly the husband and wife owners are and I would greatly agree regarding the husband, but found the wife a bit cold. Maybe she was having a bad day. In any case, I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family