“But at least it was open!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Subway / Dairy Queen
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in De Smet
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Who knew on a Sunday evening in early September a small town in South Dakota you would not be able to get food after 6:00pm except at Dairy Queen!? Well now you do! As it turns out it was not too bad and the staff was very friendly. I am guessing they see a lot of people in our situation who come from bigger cities to visit the local main attraction - The Laura Ingalls Wilder sites. I can vouch for the chili cheese dog and of course the Oreo Blizzard.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

This town does not have very much for food choices, but the dairy queen is much better here than many other places around the state.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

On our way back from the state fair in Huron, stopped for ice cream, got stuck in the line, finally up to the window, waited for another 5 for someone to finally come over with our ice cream. Watched them fill and deliver 3 orders inside the restaurant. Wanted to talk to a manager and finally gave up and drove away with nothing! We will NEVER stop there again!!!!!

1  Thank SDtravels3
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Yeah, you should know both of these places already--international chain restaurants. Places were clean. Good service. Food was as you'd expect.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Being from New York, I am used to having place open at 8. But everywhere was closed except here. I ended up eating here.. At Dairy Queen, when the workers and the manager noticed I was a New Yorker [ my accent], I ended up telling them the story of how I was here having dinner here because every place was closed. They laughed, and were very nice. The dinner wasn't bad, a cheeseburger, typical. The bread was soft, and the meat was surprisingly good [around there?] The brownie ice cream was good, a bit big for me though. The manager made it for me, the only thing was that he took the brownies from a container, so you didn't really know how old the brownies were. I would actually go again.

1  Thank Megan M